Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The difference is only 1.5mm between mounts. The leica lens bayonet would have to fit inside the female K-mount. I don't think that that is possible. The other option is a corrective element in the adapter, which is a poor idea, unless it is optomized for a specific lens. I can't even afford a used leica lens anyway. I have always wanted to cut down a 6mp Pentax DSLR and add a 4/3rds mount. Then I could use just about any brand lens with the 4/3rds adapter. It would only have to be recess by 6.33mm. The mirror box is recessed 9mm, so it would be a peice of cake to do. It would even accept 4/3rds lenses. No appeture control of course,so forget that. Anyone have an old Pentax to donate for a research project? LOL

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Someone needs to make a leica R to pentax adaptor, there's plenty enough flange distance difference.

08-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I met a Canon guy using a M42 lens and that kinda surprised me. I had no idea Canons could use M42. He started to tell me than Canon has the widest hybrid alternatives in the SLR market, being somehow compatible with Contax/Yashica, M42, Nikon, Minolta, and Leitz mounts. (not sure what "somehow" means here... but i guess you'd need at least a mounting adapter)

How accurate is that statement?

And how flexible are the Pentax bodies with respect to other mounts? If the above is true, can Pentax bodies also support other mounts with a proper adapter?

He is sort of correct. There are a lot of quirks. For example, with the k-mount to EOS, the canon guys often modify the aperture lever by shortening or removing it.

I have to unique adaptors. One is made by canon to allow the use of the Canon 50mm f3.5 macro on EOS cameras. It is called the Canon FD-EOS macro lens mount converter and only works with the macro lens. I also have a rare Tamron Adaptall 2 mount EOS-M for the adaptall 2 lenses. Canon made some adapters, but they are specific for certain lenses and were pricey. The vast majority of the adapters out there are "chinese made" and of varying quality and may require tinkering. On top of that some of them use an optic to correct for the infinity focus and that actually puts a small level of magnification which can actually reduce the IQ of the lens.

I think across the board, Pentax has more options because we already have hundreds of lenses with K mount and m42 mount made by Pentax and 3rd party manufactures. Plus you can always convert a lens to m42 and use it on some level. I just never saw the rational to going from a particular mount to m42, especially since I have a modest collection of Tamron SP adaptall 2 lenses if I wanted to use them on my Spotmatic.