Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Compatibility: Pentax x Canon

I met a Canon guy using a M42 lens and that kinda surprised me. I had no idea Canons could use M42. He started to tell me than Canon has the widest hybrid alternatives in the SLR market, being somehow compatible with Contax/Yashica, M42, Nikon, Minolta, and Leitz mounts. (not sure what "somehow" means here... but i guess you'd need at least a mounting adapter)

How accurate is that statement?

And how flexible are the Pentax bodies with respect to other mounts? If the above is true, can Pentax bodies also support other mounts with a proper adapter?

08-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure about the specifics, but generally there are adapters available for any camera body to use just about any lens. I think where Pentax makes their claim is that the K-mount has been pretty much backwards compatible ever since it came along (25 years ago??). Therefore, you can slap a K-mount lens on your camera (without an adapter) and use whatever functions the lens will support (with a few exceptions).

I don't think other brands can make that claim, but I'm not sure. Nikon is backward compatible a ways back, IIRC. Not sure about Canon.

But yeah, with adapters, any body can use any lens. And somebody has probably made the adapter for whatever you need.
08-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax is compatible with m42 and. . . like that's it -- besides medium format lenses. The flange distance is closer in the EOS system, so they can accommodate many more lens adapters.

But Canon has no image stabilization. So it sux

The most compatible should be Olympus . .with both a short flange distance and in-body image stabilization. Tho that's also with 2x crop factor.

see chart

Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
08-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As he describes it, the only compatibility you will find is indeed with adapters.

Camera manufacturers do not just use a standard mounting, so the claim that Canons can use just about anything is not accurate at all. Heck, I can't even use any new Canon lens on my old Canon AE-1p, or use my old 50mm 1.4 on a new Canon... We don't have that problem with Pentax.

M42 adapters are available for just about any camera, so are T mounts. Claiming that this makes Canon the most versatile is like claiming that Ford is more compatible with tires than VW just because it uses round rims.

So yes - adapters are they key thing here, and Pentax can use them too!

08-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
adapters are they key thing here,
Not really. Flange distance is key. Mounting a lens further from the image plane than what it was designed for will lose infinity focus -- in-fact, even a small film-lens distance change will only allow you to focus within a few feet.

For this reason, Olympus Four Thirds should accommodate the most adapters with a 38.67 mm distance.
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Canon is the most versatile in terms of the wide range of other-mount lenses you can attach to them. IIRC some of these adapters are rather pricey though... like everything else Canon.

The thing is, after K-mount and M42 there aren't many other lenses I'd want to attach to a camera. OK, maybe some Leicas.
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

IIRC, the Canon M42 adapters either can't focus to infinity, or they need a piece of glass in the adapter, degrading quality. They are fairly widely adaptable because the lens opening is fairly large - again, IIRC. But most adapted lenses need that extra optical element to focus to infinity.

So don't worry too much about the grass being greener - I don't think any non-Pentax DSLRs can use M42s and get infinity focusing without an extra optical element. Plus there's the whole image stabilization thing. Oh, and you don't get focus confirmation with a relatively expensive, special adapter. And actually, I think the Olympus DSLRs can mount the widest variety of non-original lenses, but the adapters are fairly pricey.

Oh, and from what I've seen, a popular use of the M42 adapter is Pentax 50mm F1.4/F1.7 lenses.

On the Pentaxes... there's the M42s and medium-format lenses, and I've heard of being able to use early Nikon lenses (they don't lock into place but supposedly can fit into the K-mount and be used OK) and I'm not sure about M39 but I think they may be able to connect too...

There's a ton of adapters for sale here if you're curious what can go on the Canons and Olympuses (Olympii?). There's one of two M42 adapters there but nothing for K-mounts. There are places (manual-focus forums, etc) where you can find a lot of discussion about what can and cannot be mounted on various DSLRs including Pentaxes.

08-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Your exactly correct. The canon EF mount has a registion distance if 44mm and the Pentax has 45mm, making a M42 screw mount adapter easy to make. It will need the coformation chip though. I beleive that this is need to enale the meter.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Not really. Flange distance is key. Mounting a lens further from the image plane than what it was designed for will lose infinity focus -- in-fact, even a small film-lens distance change will only allow you to focus within a few feet.

For this reason, Olympus Four Thirds should accommodate the most adapters with a 38.67 mm distance.
08-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
IIRC, the Canon M42 adapters either can't focus to infinity, or they need a piece of glass in the adapter, degrading quality. They are fairly widely adaptable because the lens opening is fairly large - again, IIRC. But most adapted lenses need that extra optical element to focus to infinity.
There are adaptors for Canon that infinity focus without corrective elements for m42, K mount, olympus OM, Leica R, Nikon and Contax. I still take my slightly smaller selection of optics and built in IS. Someone needs to make a leica R to pentax adaptor, there's plenty enough flange distance difference.
08-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

I wasn't making a reference to the technical aspects as to which camera could accept adapters - I meant to say the key to the guy's statement that Canon was the most versatile involved adapters and not just slapping any lens onto the camera.
08-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I met a Canon guy using a M42 lens and that kinda surprised me. I had no idea Canons could use M42. He started to tell me than Canon has the widest hybrid alternatives in the SLR market, being somehow compatible with Contax/Yashica, M42, Nikon, Minolta, and Leitz mounts. (not sure what "somehow" means here... but i guess you'd need at least a mounting adapter)

How accurate is that statement?

And how flexible are the Pentax bodies with respect to other mounts? If the above is true, can Pentax bodies also support other mounts with a proper adapter?

Canon is absolutely the best at everything photographic. Canon users take the best photographs, simply because the mythical imaging properties that Canon's engineering department (the very best camera engineers work at Canon) is able to build into Canon cameras and lenses make every image a world class work of art.
In addition to the very wonderful properties of Canon Cameras and lenses, Canon is almost philanthropistic it their generosity towards users of other systems.
You can mount any lens onto any Canon camera, thereby allowing you, the lucky photographer, to enjoy the mythic qualities that Canon builds into every camera they make.
Every Canon camera is individually blessed by the Emperor of Japan prior to leaving the factory. They are then sent to Rome, where they are sprinkled with Holy Water and licked clean by virgins specially blessed by the Pope, and who have been specifically selected for their grace and beauty, guaranteeing that even more special and unexplainable qualities are imparted.
The cameras are then shipped to Shawinigan Quebec where the process is repeated by Jean Chretien. This step guarantees clarity and honesty in the camera's image capturing.
After that, they are shipped to Washington DC, where the President himself test fires every single camera to ensure every camera operates intelligently.
Only after this very rigourous approval process are Canon cameras and lenses released for sale.
Canon truly has the best interests of it's users at heart, and proves it with every piece of equipment they sell.
The Queen of England herself uses Canon cameras to take pictures of her Welsh Corgis doing whatever it is that Welsh Corgis do (I only know one Welsh Corgi, and he used to beat the crap out of my Rottweiler).
This proves that Canon cameras are tough and reliable. If a Welsh Corgi can rule on a Rottweiler, and the Queen can rule on a Welsh Corgi (or anything Welsh, for that matter), is there any doubt that Canon is the toughest, hardest working cameras in the world?
So yes, your friend is correct, Canon Rulz!!!!

Last edited by Wheatfield; 08-16-2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling and coherence, not that it helped
08-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
There are adaptors for Canon that infinity focus without corrective elements for m42, K mount, olympus OM, Leica R, Nikon and Contax. I still take my slightly smaller selection of optics and built in IS. Someone needs to make a leica R to pentax adaptor, there's plenty enough flange distance difference.
Correct! And take it from me, an ex-Canon owner, this is true. The M42 adapters even have that little flange on them, that doesn't allow M42s to reach infinity on Pentax cams. I also chose K/M42 over the others for the reason you mentioned.

leitax.com has what you want although expensive

Oly 4/3 can accept the most variety of MF lenses through adapters.

Canons can use M42 in Av, like we can, also without an electronic coupling. Dxx Nikons need this linkage to enable the meter. Nikons need a glass corrective to get infinity with M42s, as does Canon with Minolta lenses.

As far as the argument goes of whether Canon is most versatile...with its own brand, yes and no (variety of EF lenses vs the ol FD). Oly can use the biggest variety of old lenses. Pentax can use any lens with its name on it. I'm still waiting for my M42 stopdown pin, Pentax
08-16-2008, 04:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Canon is absolutely the best at everything photographic. Canon users take the best photographs, simply because the mythical imaging properties that Canon's engineering department (the very best camera engineers work at Canon) is able to build into Canon cameras and lenses make every image a world class work of art.
In addition to the very wonderful properties of Canon Cameras and lenses, Canon is almost philanthropistic it their generosity towards users of other systems.
You can mount any lens onto any Canon camera, thereby allowing you, the lucky photographer, to enjoy the mythic qualities that Canon builds into every camera they make.
Every Canon camera is individually blessed by the Emperor of Japan prior to leaving the factory. They are then sent to Rome, where they are sprinkled with Holy Water and licked clean by virgins specially blessed by the Pope, and who have been specifically selected for their grace and beauty, guaranteeing that even more special and unexplainable qualities are imparted.
The cameras are then shipped to Shawinigan Quebec where the process is repeated by Jean Chretien. This step guarantees clarity and honesty in the camera's image capturing.
After that, they are shipped to Washington DC, where the President himself test fires every single camera to ensure every camera operates intelligently.
Only after this very rigourous approval process are Canon cameras and lenses released for sale.
Canon truly has the best interests of it's users at heart, and proves it with every piece of equipment they sell.
The Queen of England herself uses Canon cameras to take pictures of her Welsh Corgis doing whatever it is that Welsh Corgis do (I only know one Welsh Corgi, and he used to beat the crap out of my Rottweiler).
This proves that Canon cameras are tough and reliable. If a Welsh Corgi can rule on a Rottweiler, and the Queen can rule on a Welsh Corgi (or anything Welsh, for that matter), is there any doubt that Canon is the toughest, hardest working cameras in the world?
So yes, your friend is correct, Canon Rulz!!!!
Jeezus.....no wonder they cost so much.
08-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for that. I always love to laugh at the unexpected...

I keep forgetting that our former PM is "honest"...
08-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think Canon is the most versatile in terms of the wide range of other-mount lenses you can attach to them. IIRC some of these adapters are rather pricey though... like everything else Canon.

The thing is, after K-mount and M42 there aren't many other lenses I'd want to attach to a camera. OK, maybe some Leicas.
Leicas and Zeiss y/c to K-Mount replacement: Leica lens on a Pentax camera
Do it yourself, if you are brave (or pay leitax to install). Reasonable prices.
Y/C and K-mount share the same flange to focal plane distance.