Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 815 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 5-second exposure which I still use as the welcome image on my computer. Soothes me pretty much as on the day when I took it. The warm colour cast in the foreground, deliberately left uncorrected, was caused by an old street lamp behind me.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-27-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Embedded link
12-05-2019, 02:59 PM - 5 Likes   #107

Photos: Albums
I too love my K-7! It was my first DSLR and until this week, my only one. I may have abused it more times than I can count, and it's handled all moments capably. I've even successfully shot sports indoors in terrible lighting and higher ISO but the grain was spectacular.
I only have a couple pics I've shared here so I'll attach them and pop more in later.

12-11-2019, 12:16 AM   #108
Pentaxian

I had my K7 only for couple months due to sensor problem, there are horizontal stripes all over the screen especially noticeable at high ISO, I got it fixed and traded for the K5 soon after repair, K5 has much better high ISO performance, the K3 even better but not as much a difference as the K7 to K5 jump.
12-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple street shots from New Orleans with the 18-55/3.5-5.6 WR

12-12-2019, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
A couple street shots from New Orleans with the 18-55/3.5-5.6 WR

Nice shots, kind of like film to me
12-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! My K-7 is a true “beater,” very well-used and I treat it as if it were one of my old film cameras. That, plus the setting of these shots lend themselves to a classic feel that a film camera would have typically been used for.

In any case, it still gets the job done!
12-12-2019, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

Thanks! My K-7 is a true “beater,” very well-used and I treat it as if it were one of my old film cameras. That, plus the setting of these shots lend themselves to a classic feel that a film camera would have typically been used for.

In any case, it still gets the job done!
Could you share the settings ?

---------- Post added 12-13-19 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
I too love my K-7! It was my first DSLR and until this week, my only one. I may have abused it more times than I can count, and it's handled all moments capably. I've even successfully shot sports indoors in terrible lighting and higher ISO but the grain was spectacular.
I only have a couple pics I've shared here so I'll attach them and pop more in later.

The bird is just cute you got it in the perfect moment !

12-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
The bird is just cute you got it in the perfect moment !
Thanks!
12-14-2019, 12:22 AM - 2 Likes   #114
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes! This ^^ My K-7 is a daily "beater" too. It lives behind the back seat of my truck. Cold/Heat/Dampness - it doesn't matter, it just continues to take pictures without a complaint. If it gets stolen, oh well. I'll just replace it for under $200. Mine has well over the expected life span of the shutter and is only now showing some hot pixels when pushed. Toughest camera I've ever owned....for some reason my K-5 with way less miles is exhibiting some mushy buttons whereas the K-7 is still as tight as the day it came off the shelf.

...and that "classic feel" that you talk about is an often overlooked quality of the Samsung sensor, unjustly overshadowed by the noise "issues". The K-7 has a unique rendering among it's Sony sensors peers and that is why I'll be replacing mine if I can manage to kill it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Could you share the settings ?
I guess what I meant by “setting” was the overall place and surroundings as opposed to actual camera settings.

Cheers, Allan

---------- Post added 12-14-19 at 03:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJay Quote
Yes! This ^^ My K-7 is a daily "beater" too. It lives behind the back seat of my truck. Cold/Heat/Dampness - it doesn't matter, it just continues to take pictures without a complaint. If it gets stolen, oh well. I'll just replace it for under $200. Mine has well over the expected life span of the shutter and is only now showing some hot pixels when pushed. Toughest camera I've ever owned....for some reason my K-5 with way less miles is exhibiting some mushy buttons whereas the K-7 is still as tight as the day it came off the shelf.

...and that "classic feel" that you talk about is an often overlooked quality of the Samsung sensor, unjustly overshadowed by the noise "issues". The K-7 has a unique rendering among it's Sony sensors peers and that is why I'll be replacing mine if I can manage to kill it.
That’s the beauty of the K-7; you can run it to the ground without worry, since like you say, they’re so easy and cheap to replace, there are so many working examples out there! It’s kind of liberating.
12-15-2019, 03:11 AM   #116
Veteran Member

I still have my K-7, bought in October 2019. At the time it was a grail camera for me and I paid over £1,000 for it. My previous camera had been an *ist D. However, I never fell in love with the K-7's output. Though many have noted the graininess of the images (not always a bad thing), it also suffered from a shortage of dynamic range, with highlights blowing out so easily. In some circumstances, this could be overcome using the built in HDR function (was that a first for a DSLR camera? I can't remember). I thought the K-5 to be a better camera in almost every respect and it had one of the best sensors available at that time (DXO scored it at over 80, I believe). I am aware that some people prefer the colours of a CCD, but I shoot RAW, so this is rarely an issue for me. The K-7 did, however mark the transition to the line of rugged (and handsome in my view) bodies that continues up to the K-3 II, and had some very good features for the time. It was, and still is, a very capable camera in the right hands. Of course, my view of the K-7 may reflect some of my own shortcomings as a photographer, I get that. I still have every model of Pentax flagship APS-C DSLRs from the K-7 to the K-3 II, but the latter is the only only one I use these days (along with a K-1).
12-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-7

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJay Quote

I share your views, though my shutter assembly failed at 35,000 clicks and cost me, to the best of my recollection, around $200 to repair. I paid and fixed, though, because I liked the output, and figured it would be a "like-new" camera.
12-16-2019, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #118
Veteran Member

12-16-2019, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #119
Pentaxian

I was disappointed at the start. When I first picked up the K-7. For a while he was lying in a drawer. And now I can say that I’m in love. I like the colors, I take off in the raw, the development is in Silkypix. I like to hold in my hands, just look, this is a beautifully done thing. I can only advise K-7 fans - buy a battery pack. There is a shutter shock problem, and it is solvable. The price of the question is not great.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Those are lovely colours!