Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #1

To "upgrade" or not to "upgrade"

I recently purchased a K200D with a Grip last June and so far I'm happy with it. I also bought a 50mm f1.4, Sigma 24-70mm and a Sigma Flash. I also have the 2 Kit Lenses 18-55 II and 50-200mm. (I Pretty much spent $2000) not including the memory and batteries.

Now . . . my friend which is a Professional Photographer uses a Nikon D2xs and Fuji S5pro (he recently ordered a D3 but I haven't tried it yet.). He has some really high quality lenses and accessories on his arsenal.

I tried both D2xs and S5Pro and I was shocked in awe the auto focus is ridiculously fast than my K200D. Now I want to change to a different camera (yes I know he is "evil")
my question is does the K20D matches the snappiness of these said cameras? if so I want to upgrade, is it worth it ?

08-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never really had a problem with AF on any of my Pentax cameras, so I'm probably the wrong person to reply. My K20D seems to be the fastest of the bunch, though. I remember taking shots at my daughter's kindergarten graduation (indoor auditorium, tough lighting). I didn't really have a problem, but I noticed a guy with a Canon and another with a Nikon that kept having to fiddle around to get a focus lock on their shots.

My experience is probably different than most others, though. To me, it sounds like you have Nikon lust. They certainly make nice cameras. Why don't you rent one and try it out? You may find that it's exactly what you want.
08-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #3

Well, if fast AF at any price is all your after I'm quite sure a Nikon D3, D2x or hell even a D300 outpreforms the K20D. The D300 didn't feel that much faster than the k20d after me having tried both. The D3 spits on them both, drags them out into the jungle and executes them though in AF preformance.

I guess it all rounds up to how much money you got, what brand you prefeer, and if a superfast AF is to die for or not.

You cant compare the Nikon D3 to a Pentax k20d. I wouldn't even compare it to a D300 since atleast here in sweden the D300 is twice as expensive while the k20d costs about the same as a 2-year old non-weathersealed plastic toy (talking about the D80 here).

If I had all the money in the would I would have owned a D3 yesterday.
08-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What are you shooting that you require top of the line autofocus speed?

And you do know, that you are comparing an entry level camera to a top of the line camera?

Maybe you should compaire the K200D to the D60?

Does the D60 have a weatherproof body, DOF preview, mirror lock-up, and spot meter?

Why does my Honda not handle like a BMW?

Why did I even read this post?

08-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteComet Quote
my question is does the K20D matches the snappiness of these said cameras? if so I want to upgrade, is it worth it ?
I don't think so, I believe the AF speed is the same for K20D/K200D.
You may want to try SDM lenses if you want faster focus speed.
08-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #6

da*lens will make a difference in focus speed. A friend of mine has the d2x and when he used my k20 with the 50-135da*he commented on how fast the lens focused.Also was impressed with the sharp images he got.He now wants to borrow it again using my da*200mmf2.8.
08-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
What are you shooting that you require top of the line autofocus speed?

And you do know, that you are comparing an entry level camera to a top of the line camera?
That is why he is asking if the "top of the line" camera of the brand he already owns is as fast as the other brand's top of the line.

08-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, I will try to go to a store later on to check out the K20D. Im not here to talk about my opinions on an entry level camera and a high-end camera, Im just here asking if its worth it to Upgrade to a K20D is it significantly faster and better than its little brother?
08-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, relativity.

I tried both D2xs and S5Pro and I was shocked in awe the auto focus is ridiculously fast than my K200D. Now I want to change to a different camera (yes I know he is "evil")
Its not the AF of the D2X or the S5Pro are ridiculously fast. Its the AF of Pentax DSLRs are ridiculously slow! Especially when light levels just come down a bit!

QuoteQuote:
Nope. Don't waste the money. The AF behaviours are very similar. Nevertheless, if you use NiMH AA in the K200D, the AF speed will be even slower.

Try a Sony entry level DSLR and a Canon 1000D or 450D, you will learn also that even cheaper offers from others have faster AF than the Pentaxes.

The S5Pro is a D200 body actually and its not a true Nikon pro grade but just a mid-grade body of the last generation actually. But of course, it is still way better and could blow the Pentaxes away.

I always wonder WHEN Pentax will re-design and build a better AF system that can match the competition. But it seems that the improvement will never arrive.
08-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Now . . . my friend which is a Professional Photographer uses a Nikon D2xs and Fuji S5pro (he recently ordered a D3 but I haven't tried it yet.). He has some really high quality lenses and accessories on his arsenal.

I tried both D2xs and S5Pro and I was shocked in awe the auto focus is ridiculously fast than my K200D. Now I want to change to a different camera (yes I know he is "evil") my question is does the K20D matches the snappiness of these said cameras? if so I want to upgrade, is it worth it ?
This is the perennial question: Is that other camera better than what I've got?

I can make it easy for you. The answer is yes. And if it's not yes today, it's going to be yes soon. But usually it's yes right now and you don't have to wait.

Let's forget about the Nikon D3 or D700. They're both MUCH better than a Pentax K20D, technically speaking. Of course, they're both full-frame cameras and they cost a lot more than K20D. So let's compare the K20D to other cameras in its weight class, like the Nikon D300 and the Canon 40D. I'm pretty sure that, overall, the K20D is a better machine than the Canon 40D. On the other hand, the K20D seems technically inferior to the Nikon D300. The D300's auto-focus is faster. D300's 5.8 fps is almost twice as fast as the K20D's 3 fps. D300 seems to have a bit better high-ISO performance. And then there are the advantages of the Nikon system. Better flash. A bigger range of (more expensive) lenses. In-lens image stabilization (VR, in Nikon's terms) is marginally better to Pentax's in-body shake reduction. You can rent Nikon lenses easily. Nikon peripherals are available everywhere. I could go on.

And the Pentax's advantages? For starters, it's much cheaper. And, um.... Well, that's about it.

Sounds pretty hopeless, right? Like we might as well all just throw down our Pentax gear and surrender?

Or maybe not.

As far as I can tell, the best Nikons lenses are NOT better than the best Pentax lenses. And lenses matter more than bodies. If you can't take a great picture with a Pentax K200d, you won't be able to take a great picture with a Nikon D300, either.

The D300's advantages - focus speed and fps in particular - are important for some photographers, but not for most of us. The main reason I wish I could trade my Pentax system for a Nikon system has NOTHING to do with the cameras - it has to do with the inferiority of the Pentax P-TTL flash system. But the Pentax flash system isn't horrible and if you work with it enough, you can get really good results.

And the Pentax system is ALMOST as good as the Nikon D300. Costs a LOT less. Is almost as good. In terms not of technical features but of image quality - which is what really counts - the K20D is every bit as good as the D300, in most circumstances.

And I know that, if I WERE to buy a Nikon D300, I'd regret it sooner rather than later. Canon's got something better coming any day now. And Olympus and Sony and others are doing interesting things, too.

Equipment matters. But it isn't necessary - or even possible - to have the "best." There is no best. And nobody needs it. If you're a serious photographer, what you need is good enough. For most serious photographers, the Pentax K20D is good enough and then some.

Will
08-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies, I will try to go to a store later on to check out the K20D. Im not here to talk about my opinions on an entry level camera and a high-end camera, Im just here asking if its worth it to Upgrade to a K20D is it significantly faster and better than its little brother?
Hmm. Not what I understood you to be asking you originally. I just responded to what I thought you were asking.

Is the K20D better than a K200D? Yep. Better sensor, better processor, much better ergonomics, better image quality. Better high ISO performance.

Will you take better photos with a K20D? No, probably not, not most of the time. Just as the Nikon D300's advantages over the K20D matter mainly in special situations - where you really really need to shoot 5 frames per second, say - so, in the same way, the K20D's advantages over the K200D matter mainly in special situations, say, low light shooting. I got the K20D mainly for its high ISO performance. If the light's good, I don't much care whether I use the K20D or the K10D (which is pretty similar in image quality to the K200D). Actually if the light's good and I'm not in a hurry, I don't care too much whether I use the K20D or the *ist DS.

One advantage that you WILL get if you upgrade is that it will eliminate one excuse. Get the best your brand has to offer, and you will box yourself into the corner of having to take responsibility for what you shoot. Can't blame it on the camera if you've got the best. And if you can afford to play this game with yourself, then it may be worth it. (I'm not being sarcastic, by the way.)

Will
08-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #12

I don't get it.

I've never had problems with slow AF on my K20D or on my previous *istDS.
08-16-2008, 02:28 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Its not the AF of the D2X or the S5Pro are ridiculously fast. Its the AF of Pentax DSLRs are ridiculously slow! Especially when light levels just come down a bit!
Sorry but LOL

QuoteQuote:
Try a Sony entry level DSLR and a Canon 1000D or 450D, you will learn also that even cheaper offers from others have faster AF than the Pentaxes.
LOL number two!
Interesting, that when few users of other brands tried my K10, they were suprised how focus is fast... It is slower in dim light, but also are all other competitors.
08-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The question of whether you should upgrade got muddled up in a comparison between pro models of other brands and the entry level Pentax. What answer are you expecting?

If you want fast AF, go ahead and see if entry level Canons and Nikons will match the features of your K200D. If AF is all you're interested in, you'll do well to invest around $3000 for a decent Nikon or Canon which will do this for you. I certainly don't share RH's opinion on Pentax's AF speed - I've hardly ever missed an opportunity to take a photo because of AF. Then again, my livelihood doesn't depend on it either.

Really, there's no point drooling over a pro's gear - just go out and take photos and enjoy the vocation.
08-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #15

Original Poster
Seriously speaking I dont want to move out of the Pentax Brand for some reason, maybe thats the 1st Camera name I knew when I was a kid. anyway if I want the best of my brand can offer then I might get the K20D. I'll see when I try it out.