Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

Under what specific circumstances, out of interest? Tech marches on, yes, but the KS-1 wasn't that much newer and the K-3 was once a premier flagship. (Then again, even a phonecam can blow a poorly handled DSLR away when the composition and subject are right and the ambient light - like the Force - is with you.)
Low light, but that comes with a caveat. If I had to shoot at ISO3200+, and was shooting in B&W, the k-s1 wins hands down. If I was shooting in colour, the k-s1 still wins. However, here's the caveat, if the subject requires accurate white balance, I'd rather have the k-3. Noise is not great on the k-3 at ISO 3200+, but the colours are still spot on.

A shot taken outside under moonlight, I'd prefer the k-s1 due to the lower noise. A shot taken in a dimly lit room, I'd prefer the k-3 due to its white balance handling. In all honesty, given a choice between the two, I'd go k-3. If I couldn't afford the k-3, I wouldn't be upset if I had to settle for the k-s1

06-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
However, here's the caveat, if the subject requires accurate white balance, I'd rather have the k-3.
Does the ability to kick WB around in post change anything here? (IIRC the K-3 has the better bit depth on its raw files, so maybe there's no change if you assume the same, experienced operator doing the PP.)
06-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just repeating (and compiling?) what others have said above:

1 – if batteries are the most for you choose the K50
2 – if batteries are important but not the most important, it’s a no brainer, choose the K70.

Best regards,
06-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've got a k-1, and I'm happy with it. It's a k-3, but with better AF, and massively improved ISO noise handling (although the lenses are expensive as a result). The k-3 is a camera that I wish had the k-s1 noise capabilities. Maybe the k-70/KP offer that, but I've not played with them, so can't say for sure.

---------- Post added 06-08-17 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Does the ability to kick WB around in post change anything here? (IIRC the K-3 has the better bit depth on its raw files, so maybe there's no change if you assume the same, experienced operator doing the PP.)
Yes it does. Massively. I directly compared the k-3 and k-s1 in the same shitty lighting conditions, and the k-3 editing was done in a few minutes, the k-s1 images took 30 mins or more to get the same look. If I hadn't a k-3 to hand to compare with, I'd have been happy with the k-s1.

For daylight ISO100 shots, no difference.

---------- Post added 06-08-17 at 03:43 PM ----------

Moving from the k-x to a k-s1, you'll be blown away. Moving to the k-3, that's another step up in budget. Better to spend that money on glass imho. DA limited + k-s1 > k-3 with da50. My opinion only, feel free to disagree

06-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Get the K70 and call it a day.
06-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

If you have the means, why not treat yourself to a K-3?

I own and love the compactness of the K-S1, but would have gotten the K-3 if I could have affforded it at the time. Still, no regrets at all. With a couple of third party spare batteries, I am always ready to go. And I love the IQ and build of the K-S1.
06-08-2017, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I just checked prices at B&H. You can get a lot for the money. Right now the K-S2, which has a base body price of $500 is selling for $536 with the little compact kit lens in black. Even though you have the former kit lens, this one offers weather sealing (WR) like the camera body does also. The lens separately cost about $300, but this way you get it for $36! When retracted for carrying, which is a bit fiddly to get used to but I've found no big deal, is the smallest APS-C zoom lens on the market.

If you have more to spend, and especially if you shoot a lot of RAW files, the K-70 is the best way to go. The base body price is $600. You can get it with the DA 18-135mm lens, which is a much better lens than the one you have, also with WR and a great build quality, for $870. This means you get a lens that normally costs $477 for $270! You don't get WR in lenses and camera bodies at anywhere near these prices with other brands. With them, WR comes at around $1,000+ for the camera, and around $1,000+ for the lens.

When you get your new camera, I always recommend the same as dpreview's testing does- add "fine" to the sharpness settings in the custom image menu for both the "Bright" and "Natural" categories.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-08-2017 at 09:24 AM.
06-08-2017, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the k-x specifically because it used AA batteries and I was heavily invested in rechargeable AA's. Glad I did because that led me to Pentax. But those days are gone and you need to let the AA's go. It really is not the bother I thought it would be.

The k-r is out unless you are severely budget restricted, it is not that much of an upgrade considering the newer models.

As others have said, get the k-70 and be done.
06-08-2017, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

If you want to save money, get the K50, but I'd rather go with the K70.
06-08-2017, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If you want to save money, get the K50, but I'd rather go with the K70.
Given the fact that this model is (a) superceded and (b) known to suffer from a crippling defect in some examples, any savings thus had might evaporate terribly quickly if the camera needs an aperture-module repair.
06-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghost_electricity Quote
I recently upgraded from the K-x to the K-50. I'll briefly go over some things I noticed in adjusting.

- The k-50 has a little more bulk, I actually liked the compactness of the K-x more, but the K-x is also one of the smallest dslr bodies ever made so it wouldn't be easy to "replace" in that regard. On the other hand the hi-res screen on the K-50 is SUCH and improvement over the lower-res screen of the K-x. But just about any camera made after 2010 is going to have a higher res screen, so that should be something you notice on any upgrade. The K-50 is also weather-sealed and just a sturdier feeling camera all around.

- The user interfaces of the two cameras are nearly identical but there are some slight differences.
Pros of the K-50 interface: I've heard people complain about the live view/delete button location on the K-50. I personally think it is in a great spot. On the k-x I would accidentally hit it because it was next to all the other right thumb buttons. I prefer it out of the way on the opposite side of the screen. Also having 2 dials makes you wonder how you ever got by with just one on the K-x.

Pros of the K-x interface: On the other hand the display on the k-50 is a little more finicky. On the K-x, you could set the display to be turned off all the time in the menu settings (which I would commonly do). This is not as easily done on the K-50, on this camera, you have to cycle through several different screens just to turn off the display screen. Easily the most aggravating thing for someone who likes to use rear display as minimally as possible.

I am having what I think is a fairly common problem on the K-50 regarding the aperture ring. When I turn the camera on after a long period of non-use the first shot I take is stopped all the way down to f22 or f16. Every shot after this is fine with no problems. I have worked around this by just hitting the depth of field preview button right after I turn on the camera. This fires the aperture ring without firing the shutter and taking a picture. It's almost like it has to be "re-calibrated" after a long period of non use. I can deal with this problem though and am keeping my fingers crossed that it does not worsen. If it does, I have seen some diy fix videos on youtube for it. I even read on another forum that someone fixed it simply by spraying some WD40 on the defective part!

Bottom line: K-50 is a great upgrade, but there are some trade-offs as there always is. Considering the affordability of K-50 bodies right now I have no regrets about doing it though. Now if this aperture problem worsens, I might be singing a different tune, but for now I am fully satisfied with the K-50.
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is really helpful.

---------- Post added 06-08-2017 at 04:19 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. One question: Do you know whether it is worth to wait till November - December for some great offers? I never tracked this in the previous years, hence I am not sure of this. Earlier I used to see Pentax at Costco.com. Now I believe they are not selling it anymore. They sell at very competitive price and it come with a great 90 day return policy.
06-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost_electricity Quote
I am having what I think is a fairly common problem on the K-50 regarding the aperture ring. When I turn the camera on after a long period of non-use the first shot I take is stopped all the way down to f22 or f16. Every shot after this is fine with no problems. I have worked around this by just hitting the depth of field preview button right after I turn on the camera. This fires the aperture ring without firing the shutter and taking a picture. It's almost like it has to be "re-calibrated" after a long period of non use. I can deal with this problem though and am keeping my fingers crossed that it does not worsen. If it does, I have seen some diy fix videos on youtube for it. I even read on another forum that someone fixed it simply by spraying some WD40 on the defective part!

Bottom line: K-50 is a great upgrade, but there are some trade-offs as there always is. Considering the affordability of K-50 bodies right now I have no regrets about doing it though. Now if this aperture problem worsens, I might be singing a different tune, but for now I am fully satisfied with the K-50.
I agree that the K-50 is a great upgrade as IQ is excellent however now that mine has the aperture block problem after only 13,000 shots I would be reluctant to recommend it unless you found an exceptional bargain.

Do you have any more info on using WD-40 as a possible solution? As the issue is the solenoid, do you mean spraying WD-40 direct onto the solenoid?

Thank you!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo   
06-08-2017, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
I will look for K70 rather than experimenting with K50.
06-08-2017, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krishna Quote
Do you know whether it is worth to wait till November - December for some great offers?
There have been some deals in that time in the past. However, not more than 10% I think. K-70 is currently $599 at B&H or Adorama. November is 5 to 6 months out. Say you do save 10% that's $60. So for $10 per month you can have the K-70 now and use it for 6 months. And that assumes there actually will be a deal, that is not for sure.
06-09-2017, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from the K-r(Storm Trooper) to the K-s2(FirstOrder Trooper), a big difference and upgrade, I paid $529 for body and the new kit lens which was quite the bargain. The camera handles similar with addition of the WiFi, tilt screen and second dial. I love camera and used it's WR to great effect in rainy damp Alaska and beach wedding on a breezy day with fine talcum like sand blowing everywhere. If I was to do it all over again, I would have gone for the K-70 or maybe even the KP.