Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13070 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Orbus Quote
Thanks for the compliment, Paul. It was kind of a dreary day today which provided some nice soft lighting.
Yes, the lighting was nearly perfect it seems Excellent detail.

07-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #152
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Orbus Quote
Pentax K110D; this time with the A50mm f.2.8 macro
Oh my, those are beautiful shots! And that camera is how old, did you say?

Many people on these forums - myself very much included - don't produce that level of detail with a K-3
07-22-2017, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Many people on these forums - myself very much included - don't produce that level of detail with a K-3
It makes you wonder what the original full-frame might have done, if only they had found it a reliable sensor at a decent unit cost. Who built the APS-C sensor for the *ist series?
07-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #154
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It makes you wonder what the original full-frame might have done, if only they had found it a reliable sensor at a decent unit cost. Who built the APS-C sensor for the *ist series?
I believe - though I can't say for certain - that it's a Samsung sensor. The camera design came from Pentax, the sensor from Samsung, and both companies released near-identical cameras under their own brands. After the much-maligned K-7, Pentax switched to Sony sensors...

07-22-2017, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #155

Thanks for the kind words, BigMackCam! By my reckoning, the camera is 10+ years old but it's new to me--was an impulse eBay purchase. I never thought I'd get such a kick out of it, but there's something massively satisfying about doing more with less. These "old" camera bodies fit within my limited budget and appeal to my frugal nature.
07-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe - though I can't say for certain - that it's a Samsung sensor. The camera design came from Pentax, the sensor from Samsung, and both companies released near-identical cameras under their own brands. After the much-maligned K-7, Pentax switched to Sony sensors...
Yes they were Samsung sensors. Pentax got into digital with an agreement with Samsung. I'm not sure if they had a contract that reached its end at the K7, or if most likely, Pentax knew it had to look elsewhere for sensors in order to keep up with the low light performance of Nikon.
07-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, the 6 and 10 mpx ccd sensors were made by Sony. The K20D and K7 shared the same 14 mpx CMOS Samsung sensor. Pretty sure those were the only Pentax models to use a Samsung sensor.

07-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #158
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Actually, the 6 and 10 mpx ccd sensors were made by Sony. The K20D and K7 shared the same 14 mpx CMOS Samsung sensor. Pretty sure those were the only Pentax models to use a Samsung sensor.
Ah! Thanks for the correction, Paul...

So, Samsung were making (or, at least, re-badging) early Pentax DSLRs with Sony sensors inside them? I wonder if they weren't manufacturing DSLR sensors at that early stage...
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-22-2017 at 09:59 PM.
07-23-2017, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #159
Veteran Member

Ah! Thanks for the correction, Paul...

So, Samsung were making (or, at least, re-badging) early Pentax DSLRs with Sony sensors inside them? I wonder if they weren't manufacturing DSLR sensors at that early stage...
Actually, Pentax and Samsung co-developed their early DSLR models but both brands were produced by Pentax. The differences went a little deeper than just slapping a Samsung logo on the cameras. Besides the minor cosmetic differences, Samsung altered the firmware for its cameras substituting different jpeg processing algorithms, removing support for Pentax's proprietary version of the RAW format, and creating a slightly different user interface for the menus. Since Samsung's firmware for its GX series DSLRs was based on Pentax source code, every firmware update Samsung put out for those cameras followed the equivalent Pentax update by a few months. Unfortunately, Samsung lost interest in these cameras and withdrew support so some of the Pentax models got firmware updates their Samsung siblings didn't.
07-23-2017, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This isn't quite going to match Orbus' amazingly detailed shots, but I thought it was pretty decent for the old kit lens on *ist D. Taken July 2011:
07-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #161
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
The differences went a little deeper than just slapping a Samsung logo on the cameras. Besides the minor cosmetic differences, Samsung altered the firmware for its cameras substituting different jpeg processing algorithms, removing support for Pentax's proprietary version of the RAW format, and creating a slightly different user interface for the menus.
Yes, I've used both a K10D and my own GX-10 and noticed the difference in menus. I didn't realise the JPEG processing algorithms were different, though... but then, I only shoot RAW with the GX-10. I updated mine to the last available firmware... not sure what I'm missing that K10D owners have, but it seems to be a stable and well-performing camera. Having said that, I tend to be quite forgiving of quirks and oddities given the age of the camera
07-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #162
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This isn't quite going to match Orbus' amazingly detailed shots, but I thought it was pretty decent for the old kit lens on *ist D. Taken July 2011
That's a lovely shot, Paul... Very nice depth out-of-focus rendering (with quite a three-dimensional effect), and great colour
07-23-2017, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #163

One from this morning with the K100D and the F35-135.

Ralph

07-23-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #164
Veteran Member

Yes, I've used both a K10D and my own GX-10 and noticed the difference in menus. I didn't realise the JPEG processing algorithms were different, though... but then, I only shoot RAW with the GX-10. I updated mine to the last available firmware... not sure what I'm missing that K10D owners have, but it seems to be a stable and well-performing camera. Having said that, I tend to be quite forgiving of quirks and oddities given the age of the camera
I don't know about the GX-10 but the GX-20 got one fewer firmware update than the K20D, stopping with 1.03 vs 1.04 for the Pentax, and in the process missed out on compatibility with 32GB SDHC cards and is stuck with 8 GB as its officially documented upper limit, although my GX-20 is quite happy with16GB cards.
07-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #165

This isn't quite going to match Orbus' amazingly detailed shots, but I thought it was pretty decent for the old kit lens on *ist D. Taken July 2011:
Nothing wrong with the sharpness on that shot and it does have a nice bit of dimension to it. I have one copy of the kit lens that I'll never part with; it's a Type II and it must be a particularly good sample because, like the picture you just posted, it is capable of producing very pleasing results!