Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2017, 03:19 PM - 6 Likes   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is one of the better threads in here, great demonstration that obsolete tech can fight the modern day! I got my *ist DL year and half ago to accompany my Helios 44, did nice job and RAW saved the dead pixels. Kinda liked that taking the shot was a process that took some time and effort.
However, last spring i decided to make an IR conversion, no regrets for that either. Maybe someday iŽll just get the bigger *ist for me...

And most recent infrared!

ps. Dammit, Orbus, you really nailed it!

07-23-2017, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
This is one of the better threads in here, great demonstration that obsolete tech can fight the modern day! I got my *ist DL year and half ago to accompany my Helios 44, did nice job and RAW saved the dead pixels. Kinda liked that taking the shot was a process that took some time and effort.
However, last spring i decided to make an IR conversion, no regrets for that either. Maybe someday iŽll just get the bigger *ist for me...

And most recent infrared!

ps. Dammit, Orbus, you really nailed it!
Great shots & welcome! Fabulous IR image
07-24-2017, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
great demonstration that obsolete tech can fight the modern day!
I'm not sure it's a question of fighting the modern day, just showing that the old sensors (and the stuff behind them) are still capable of holding their own.

Almost all that the new whizbang advances really do is let us grab the same shots with greater ease and/or under more difficult conditions. But there is a quote attributed, I believe, to former world chess champion Vasily Smyslov when he was on a comeback streak in the early 1980s: "I may be an old lion, but if someone sticks his head in my mouth I can still bite!"

I think that says everything which needs to be said about the 6MP Pentax DSLRs.
07-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by Orbus Quote
Pentax K110D; this time with the A50mm f.2.8 macro
Welp, this proves I need to practice more! Been playing with a K110D I got for cheap to complement my K-50 and I had no idea it was capable of this. Stunning shots Orbus!

07-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #170

QuoteOriginally posted by varky Quote
Welp, this proves I need to practice more! Been playing with a K110D I got for cheap to complement my K-50 and I had no idea it was capable of this. Stunning shots Orbus!
Thanks, Varky! To be fair, the A50 f2.8 macro can take a lot of the credit with respect to sharpness, but it is fun to see what the K110D is still capable of doing, even without the image stabilisation/shake reduction. My first Pentax digital was a K-x bought about 5 or 6 years ago. Since that time, I've been accumulating a stable of older second-hand bodies which can usually be picked up for a song these days (the K110D, K10D, K200D, K-m) and my K-x only gets pulled out when I need to shoot at a higher sensitivity. There's something about those old CCD sensors that produces an almost film-like rendering and it brings some of the fun back into the hobby. Enjoy your K110D!
07-24-2017, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To be fair, the A50 f2.8 macro can take a lot of the credit with respect to sharpness
Right - you can't go wrong with good glass. The shooter has a little something to do with it, too.

Last edited by paulh; 07-24-2017 at 10:04 AM.
07-24-2017, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron SP90 (52B) on 100D Super.
Nice colours?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
07-24-2017, 12:32 PM - 5 Likes   #173

A couple of my modest attempts at getting something nice with the K110D. DAL 50-200

07-26-2017, 12:04 PM - 4 Likes   #174
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today's the first day I've been able to pick up a camera after some steroid injections last Thursday, one of which left my right arm pretty much useless and in agony I'm not back to full strength yet, but I've been wandering around the house, playing with the *ist DL for a short while today. Not much to photograph that's of interest, or that I haven't photographed a hundred times before, but all of it is new to my recently-acquired DL - including this ornamental lion cast... taken with the "mk 1" 18-55 at 28mm, f/7.1, 1/60s, ISO 200.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-26-2017 at 12:30 PM.
07-26-2017, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #175

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Today's the first day I've been able to pick up a camera after some steroid injections last Thursday, one of which left my right arm pretty much useless and in agony I'm not back to full strength yet, but I've been wandering around the house, playing with the *ist DL for a short while today. Not much to photograph that's of interest, or that I haven't photographed a hundred times before, but all of it is new to my recently-acquired DL - including this ornamental lion cast... taken with the 18-55 at 28mm, f/7.1, 1/60s, ISO 200.
Sorry to hear that, Mike, hope you're back to full strength very soon. A recently-acquired *ist DL, hunh? Even I haven't gone back that far! That is an amazing amount of detail you've managed to coax out of the kit lens, though--well done, sir!
07-26-2017, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice shooting, skodadriver, varky and Mike! Best wishes for a quick recovery, Mike

Great blue heron watching over the lake at sunset. Super Tak 105/2.8 on *ist D:
07-26-2017, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #177
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that, Mike, hope you're back to full strength very soon. A recently-acquired *ist DL, hunh? Even I haven't gone back that far! That is an amazing amount of detail you've managed to coax out of the kit lens, though--well done, sir!
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice shooting, skodadriver, varky and Mike! Best wishes for a quick recovery, Mike
Thanks, Rob and Paul I'm doing much better than I was, and expect I'll be back to my version of "normal" within a few days I'll admit, though, I panicked a little when I couldn't use my cameras - at least, not in the way I've always used them. It has given me pause for thought to consider how to work if I end up in the same position again (which is more-or-less inevitable at some point). Tripod and remote, I guess

Regarding the DL and detail. It seems I'm gradually regressing with camera technology, and at this rate I should be using a Kodak Brownie box camera by the end of the year The detail in that shot was quite decent straight out of the camera, in all honesty, but I did help it along with a local contrast adjustment, and output sharpening on the resized crop

Thanks again, fellas...

And, to all that posted photos since my previous post, nice work. Some lovely shots in this thread
07-27-2017, 02:00 AM   #178
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A slightly dull start to the day, but I ventured into the garden with the *ist DL and DA18-55 to play a little. The rowan tree is looking particularly pretty (if a little unkempt!) at the moment
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-27-2017 at 03:13 AM.
07-27-2017, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
this ornamental lion cast...
In the window, suburban window, the lion sleeps tonight...

Great shot
07-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #180
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
In the window, suburban window, the lion sleeps tonight...

Great shot
He he Thank you!