Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #196
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 1st DS with SMC FA 70-200 shot in the backyard.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
4 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #197
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great shots everyone, and thanks for keeping the place alive while I was away

Here's an attempt at an "artsy abstract" taken in June with a Super Tak 105/2.8 on *ist D:
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #198

Not as abstract, but another reflection in still water.

About 10 seconds later the wake from the water skier's boat arrived.

Ralph
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #199
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
From Spring of 2015 with a Zenitar 16 on *ist D:

3 Days Ago   #200
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
From Spring of 2015 with a Zenitar 16 on *ist D:
Lovely out-of-focus highlights from the water droplets, Paul!

That Zenitar fish-eye is a great little lens. I have one in M42 mount that I use primarily on my A7II, but I must try it out on my *ist DL
2 Days Ago   #201
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Lovely out-of-focus highlights from the water droplets, Paul!

That Zenitar fish-eye is a great little lens. I have one in M42 mount that I use primarily on my A7II, but I must try it out on my *ist DL
Thanks Mike. It is a pretty amazing little lens. The front element on my copy is full of scratches and cleaning marks, so I don't point it at the sun too much unless I want some interesting flare!

Beebalm in the evening, taken in June with the Super Takumar 105/2.8 on *ist D:
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #202
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Local lake in June, Super Tak 105/2.8 on *ist D:
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #203
Forum Member

Discovering more daily...

I originally got a K10D about three months ago, and loved (and still love) it, but then a month later after looking for an *ist DS or DS2 found a Samsung GX-1s (DS2 clone) and went with that. The K10D still feels more a more sophisticated and serious camera, but the GX-1s I'm learning more and enjoying more about every time I use it.

Some reasons I prefer it over the K10D -

- Smaller and lighter. The K10D handles wonderfully but does get heavy after a while, especially with a heavier lens.

- Same 0.95x 95% viewfinder as the K10D but in that smaller lighter package.

- 6MP gives smaller files, so they load/process faster but for my needs have all the resolution I need. And looks wise I can't tell the difference between images shot with my K10D and GX-1S with the same lens.

- Simpler to use adjustments in manual M mode. The GX-1s has one dial at the rear which I set to adjust shutter speed on M mode. If I want to adjust aperture (with A or DA lenses) I just hold the little exposure comp / Av button on top and use the same dial. Let it go and you're back to adjusting shutter speed. I just find this easier than having two dials - one for shutter speed, one for aperture - and often forgetting which does which.

- Simpler to use green button. In M mode it's useful to use the green button to instantly set the shutter speed to the correct one (after setting it up that way). The green button on top of the K10D I find awkwardly placed, having to kind of arch your finger over the shutter button. On the GX-1s it's the AE-L button, conveniently where the tip of my right thumb is already resting. Much easier and more instinctive.

Aside from these difference it's very similar in use to the K10D. I could live with just either, but at a push if I had to pick just one camera to use day in day out, it might just be the GX-1s for its smaller size, lighter weight, more instinctive ergonomics and equally great VF.

What do you love about your 6MP Pentax/Samsung?

These two with the GX-1s and an SMC Pentax 24-50/4 at 24mm...

1 Day Ago   #204
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
I originally got a K10D about three months ago, and loved (and still love) it, but then a month later after looking for an *ist DS or DS2 found a Samsung GX-1s (DS2 clone) and went with that. The K10D still feels more a more sophisticated and serious camera, but the GX-1s I'm learning more and enjoying more about every time I use it.

Some reasons I prefer it over the K10D -

- Smaller and lighter. The K10D handles wonderfully but does get heavy after a while, especially with a heavier lens.

- Same 0.95x 95% viewfinder as the K10D but in that smaller lighter package.

- 6MP gives smaller files, so they load/process faster but for my needs have all the resolution I need. And looks wise I can't tell the difference between images shot with my K10D and GX-1S with the same lens.

- Simpler to use adjustments in manual M mode. The GX-1s has one dial at the rear which I set to adjust shutter speed on M mode. If I want to adjust aperture (with A or DA lenses) I just hold the little exposure comp / Av button on top and use the same dial. Let it go and you're back to adjusting shutter speed. I just find this easier than having two dials - one for shutter speed, one for aperture - and often forgetting which does which.

- Simpler to use green button. In M mode it's useful to use the green button to instantly set the shutter speed to the correct one (after setting it up that way). The green button on top of the K10D I find awkwardly placed, having to kind of arch your finger over the shutter button. On the GX-1s it's the AE-L button, conveniently where the tip of my right thumb is already resting. Much easier and more instinctive.

Aside from these difference it's very similar in use to the K10D. I could live with just either, but at a push if I had to pick just one camera to use day in day out, it might just be the GX-1s for its smaller size, lighter weight, more instinctive ergonomics and equally great VF.

These two with the GX-1s and an SMC Pentax 24-50/4 at 24mm...
Beautiful photos, Dan

I have the Samsung GX-10 (which is near-enough identical to your K10D) and the *ist DL, which I believe isn't quite so good as the GX-1s / *ist DS2 in a few areas - especially the viewfinder; it's a penta-mirror on mine, versus a proper penta-prism on yours. But it works well enough.

I agree, the weight of the *ist cameras is a real advantage. With a suitably-light lens fitted, you could shoot all day one-handed if you wanted

The dimensions of the *ist DL feel quite a bit smaller than the GX-10 / K10D too (in fact, I'm sure this is the smallest DSLR I own). With "consumer" lenses - a variable-aperture standard zoom, or - better still - a small prime, it's a light and compact combo that still handles like a proper camera.

Battery life is *fantastic* when using high quality Li rechargeables. I'm using Duracell Recharge Ultra 2500mAh right now, and I'd happily take the camera away with me for a weekend with just one fully-charged set of these fitted. And, in the unlikely event I started to run out of juice, a set of high-quality non-rechargeable AAs can be sourced from almost any shop

And, yes - 6 megapickles is plenty for a lot of uses, and certainly plenty for me unless I'm tempted to crop significantly. Plus, this resolution is more forgiving of the older, inexpensive glass that shows it's limitations on modern sensors.

I'm sure there's more I love about the *ist DL, but that'll do for starters. One thing's for sure - I *do* love it. Cracking little camera

Last edited by BigMackCam; 1 Day Ago at 04:33 PM.
1 Day Ago - 2 Likes   #205
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm trying to get my DS back from my son.....I gave it to him a couple of years ago but he has never used it....he bought a cheap Sony, thinking it would be "easier to use". It isn't, of course!

I took thousands of shots with my DS back in 2005-06 and it certainly helped me get my start in photography. I was very happy with the results and have no complaints about 6MP, even today. Cropping with my K1 is very handy, but the DS delivered great results too.

One of my favorite DS shots...

Regards!

If I get that DS back, I will come back here and give it to someone if they want it. Great little camera!
1 Day Ago   #206
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Cropping with my K1 is very handy, but the DS delivered great results too.
The K-1 crops to something like 15 or 16 Mp, doesn't it? That's *plenty*, for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
One of my favorite DS shots...
What an outstanding shot - that should be on a wall somewhere
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #207
Loyal Site Supporter

What an outstanding shot - that should be on a wall somewhere
Thank you!
It was upsized and is in the office of one of the richest men in Texas. One of my friends runs his tech dept and wanted it for his boss. His boss wanted it framed and hung in his office. Fitting for a man that has been critical in the redevelopment of downtown Ft Worth. The Bass brothers have done amazing things for Ft Worth Texas.
Who Runs Fort Worth? - D Magazine

A similar DS shot..where I did not finish cloning out all the wires.

I was hoping he might want some handsome squirrel shots too...but he didn't!

Regards!
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #208
Pentaxian

I briefly had a GX-1L a few years ago and really liked it but I wanted to give my then-girlfriend a camera for Christmas and I found a good deal on a K100D. I liked that camera a lot as well, and thus I was stuck with a dilemma. When it came time to wrap gifts, I was still deliberating but she ultimately got the Samsung and was thrilled with it. I kept the K100D until this past spring when I sold it off to reduce my bloated inventory of camera gear. I recently got hold of a K200D, which I like a whole lot so far in that it gives me most of the best features of the K10D in a somewhat more compact package. I haven't had much of a chance to shoot with it yet but I plan to give it a good workout when the opportunity presents itself.
1 Day Ago   #209
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
. . .
. . .

I thought that when I got my K10D my K110D would just sit around most of the time, but I never really stopped using it.

If I am letting a particular lens live on the K10D for a time, I always have the K110D to test a new(-used) lens on.

If I get muddled about how to use settings on the K10D, I can always go back to the somewhat simpler K110D.

When my K10D sensor was getting spotty, I had the K110D to fall back on.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #210
Forum Member

Beautiful photos, Dan

I have the Samsung GX-10 (which is near-enough identical to your K10D) and the *ist DL, which I believe isn't quite so good as the GX-1s / *ist DS2 in a few areas - especially the viewfinder; it's a penta-mirror on mine, versus a proper penta-prism on yours. But it works well enough.

I agree, the weight of the *ist cameras is a real advantage. With a suitably-light lens fitted, you could shoot all day one-handed if you wanted

The dimensions of the *ist DL feel quite a bit smaller than the GX-10 / K10D too (in fact, I'm sure this is the smallest DSLR I own). With "consumer" lenses - a variable-aperture standard zoom, or - better still - a small prime, it's a light and compact combo that still handles like a proper camera.

Battery life is *fantastic* when using high quality Li rechargeables. I'm using Duracell Recharge Ultra 2500mAh right now, and I'd happily take the camera away with me for a weekend with just one fully-charged set of these fitted. And, in the unlikely event I started to run out of juice, a set of high-quality non-rechargeable AAs can be sourced from almost any shop

And, yes - 6 megapickles is plenty for a lot of uses, and certainly plenty for me unless I'm tempted to crop significantly. Plus, this resolution is more forgiving of the older, inexpensive glass that shows it's limitations on modern sensors.

I'm sure there's more I love about the *ist DL, but that'll do for starters. One thing's for sure - I *do* love it. Cracking little camera

Thanks! Funny enough I just got a GX-10 too. I was looking for another K10D and the Samsung came up too cheap to resist...

Thanks for the battery details. I've been using Duracell rechargeable but realised the other day I had obviously bought a couple of sets of four some years ago and they'd got mixed up - some are 1200mAh, some 1700mAh. I then switched to using just the 1700 set but they don't last as long as I thought they might. I have no idea how old they are though, at least three or four years or more. So I just invested in a new set of 2500mAh Duracells. Then I carry a spare set of alkaline AAs as a back up.

Re cropping, I've just never felt the need to do it, I've always tried to capture in the VF what I wanted the photograph to look like. With the film cameras I've used, and with the 95% VF of the GX-1S, you can do this very accurately, so any quality loss from cropping is really a non-issue for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I thought that when I got my K10D my K110D would just sit around most of the time, but I never really stopped using it.

If I am letting a particular lens live on the K10D for a time, I always have the K110D to test a new(-used) lens on.

If I get muddled about how to use settings on the K10D, I can always go back to the somewhat simpler K110D.

When my K10D sensor was getting spotty, I had the K110D to fall back on.

I agree about enjoying the simplicity. I have my K10D set up to be as simple as possible to use, but it is refreshing to go back to the simpler GX-1s still. With the DA 35/2.4 I have (the only DA and indeed the only AF lens I have) it makes the little Samsung virtually a point and shoot, albeit a very capable one. Which I enjoy from time to time as a change from the Takumars and Pentax-As.