Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #2296
Pentaxian
brewmaster15's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 1,361
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Nice pics ! I closely missed the last 6mpx when I purchased my first Pentax DSLR long time ago, it was the K20D, I don't know until recently Pentax switched from CCD to CMOS at that point, and I upgraded to K3 step by step since then. Please excuse my ignorance, what so special CCD is over CMOS, suppose under the best lighting condition and shot static object which is better and the limitations ?
Thanks. The question of ccd vs cmos is a pretty common one.. its been discussed at length here on the forum and on the internet.. I shoot both . The older ccd cameras are" limited "in their use but are still very useful. They are challenging in low light and are not great at high ISO... Some people feel they render colors more beautifully...others dont see it.. To me the CCD renders the colors more pleasingly..almost more film like.. .its largely subjective. I have and still shoot the k10d ccd and k20d cmos.. like them both..but like the colors of the k10d more.

I still shoot ccd cameras because I like the colors and I like the challenges of using older tech.. Its why I like m42 glass and bellows and ext tubes... and film cameras. Theres a feeling of accomplishment when you have to work a tad harder at something. I do shoot k-3s and k-1s as well as nikon d7500 and d500s and like them all very much.. but I love the pentax ccd cameras and nikon d200 ccd for their color rendition.

I don't know if that answers your questions..sometimes we do things just because we like it. For technical differences I would suggest searching the net and forum.

Hth,Al

04-15-2021, 08:59 AM - 4 Likes   #2297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,003
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Thanks. The question of ccd vs cmos is a pretty common one.. its been discussed at length here on the forum and on the internet.. I shoot both . The older ccd cameras are" limited "in their use but are still very useful. They are challenging in low light and are not great at high ISO... Some people feel they render colors more beautifully...others dont see it.. To me the CCD renders the colors more pleasingly..almost more film like.. .its largely subjective. I have and still shoot the k10d ccd and k20d cmos.. like them both..but like the colors of the k10d more.

I still shoot ccd cameras because I like the colors and I like the challenges of using older tech.. Its why I like m42 glass and bellows and ext tubes... and film cameras. Theres a feeling of accomplishment when you have to work a tad harder at something. I do shoot k-3s and k-1s as well as nikon d7500 and d500s and like them all very much.. but I love the pentax ccd cameras and nikon d200 ccd for their color rendition.

I don't know if that answers your questions..sometimes we do things just because we like it. For technical differences I would suggest searching the net and forum.

Hth,Al
I think you covered it perfectly

Here's one from a recent hike in the local hills. This was taken in Feb, and it hasn't rained at all since then. The hills are totally dry and brown nowadays. Fire Season, here we come - S-M-C Tak 28/3.5 on *ist D (xposted)


Last edited by paulh; 04-15-2021 at 09:05 AM.
04-15-2021, 06:07 PM - 7 Likes   #2298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
carabez's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cinco de Mayo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I still shoot ccd cameras because I like the colors and I like the challenges of using older tech..
Last day I was struggling to fire HSS flash with a M42 lens on Pentax K1 something I'd done before then I realized it was done using the old DS2 camera 'cos it support the old TTL mode.

Samyang 135mm f2@2.4 on DS2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS2  Photo 
04-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #2299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 569
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Thanks. The question of ccd vs cmos is a pretty common one.. its been discussed at length here on the forum and on the internet.. I shoot both . The older ccd cameras are" limited "in their use but are still very useful. They are challenging in low light and are not great at high ISO... Some people feel they render colors more beautifully...others dont see it.. To me the CCD renders the colors more pleasingly..almost more film like.. .its largely subjective. I have and still shoot the k10d ccd and k20d cmos.. like them both..but like the colors of the k10d more.

I still shoot ccd cameras because I like the colors and I like the challenges of using older tech.. Its why I like m42 glass and bellows and ext tubes... and film cameras. Theres a feeling of accomplishment when you have to work a tad harder at something. I do shoot k-3s and k-1s as well as nikon d7500 and d500s and like them all very much.. but I love the pentax ccd cameras and nikon d200 ccd for their color rendition.

I don't know if that answers your questions..sometimes we do things just because we like it. For technical differences I would suggest searching the net and forum.

Hth,Al
I also read that CCD produced more natural image, and does not have the strange rolling shutter artifacts like CMOS due to entire scene is captured all at once rather than line by line, much like the difference between leaf shutter and focal plane shutter, I think CCD was designed for perfect image quality (under ideal lighting condition) rather than for convenience (speed). But I've other thought, since I started shooting with film long before digital, so I am more a traditional and fundamental type of shooter although I'm not professional in the field, I'm longing to try out something old but special, the Sigma Foven x3 sensor ! it was designed to be "film like" with complete RGB image sensor on each pixel, so that nothing is missing and no guessing what color to reproduce on which pixel, it was the prefect design theoretically, but hard to use in real life due to the very strict parameter it can live in to produce good result. There are still plenty of such cameras in the used market at affordable price I think because most people find it too hard to use, I am struggling between the SD Quattro (H) or the slightly cheaper DP Quattro, what made it even more hard a decision was they priced very similarly, if I were to pick one I think I would go for the DP fixed lens one, coz I still need to save some money for the new K3III (or a good used K1), no matter how good the IQ are with the Sigma and the Pentax CCD they are not the everyday cameras due to the limitations, sorry too far away from the 6mega pixel ha !

04-16-2021, 09:06 AM - 4 Likes   #2300
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Thessaloniki
Posts: 9
Hallo to all of you , hope you accept an image from my Sigma dp 1 .
I am not a very active member , my old Pentax K7 is no longer exist , still i find the thread extremely interesting .
I am working with old digital cameras , mostly a Nikon D1 .
The shot is from my hometown , Thessaloniki , Greece .
Attached Images
 

Last edited by babisskg; 04-16-2021 at 10:35 AM.
04-16-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #2301
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: People's Republic of America
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,933
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
Last day I was struggling to fire HSS flash with a M42 lens on Pentax K1 something I'd done before then I realized it was done using the old DS2 camera 'cos it support the old TTL mode.

Samyang 135mm f2@2.4 on DS2
Lovely colors on that one!
04-16-2021, 01:27 PM - 5 Likes   #2302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 244
@jon.partsch Excellent job with the singer with respect to lighting conditions and the used gear. Such a photograph could be on her CD cover.

Here's something a bit abstract (actually Xanthoria parietina). K100D + DA 16-45/4.

04-16-2021, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #2303
Pentaxian
brewmaster15's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 1,361
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
Last day I was struggling to fire HSS flash with a M42 lens on Pentax K1 something I'd done before then I realized it was done using the old DS2 camera 'cos it support the old TTL mode.

Samyang 135mm f2@2.4 on DS2
Great prickly pear?? cactus shot. I really wish we had these in Ct.. we have one species but its not very hardy here and it mostly dies back in the winter.

04-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #2304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jon.partsch's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 326
QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
@jon.partsch Excellent job with the singer with respect to lighting conditions and the used gear. Such a photograph could be on her CD cover.

Here's something a bit abstract (actually Xanthoria parietina). K100D + DA 16-45/4.
Thanks, hjortron! Beautiful photo!! I love lichen almost as much as I love electro-industrial sleaze rock (actually the older I get the more I prefer a forest full of lichen over a crowded nightclub).

This singer is DJ Mea (Mea Fisher) performing with Lords of Acid.

~ Jon
04-16-2021, 09:16 PM - 6 Likes   #2305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
carabez's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cinco de Mayo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Great prickly pear??
Yes, but I think that this variety of prickly pear is not edible for humans, they are small like grapes but they bloom pastel in color.
I saw a documentary of the wildlife in the Galapagos Islands where the turtles ate those flowers (cacti are not to tall).


There is a pre-Columbian custom of fermenting the red prickly pear (the size of peaches). The drink is known as "colonche"


People use to eat the large and juicy prickly pear with red or yellow pulp:
04-17-2021, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #2306
Pentaxian
brewmaster15's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 1,361
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
Yes, but I think that this variety of prickly pear is not edible for humans, they are small like grapes but they bloom pastel in color.
I saw a documentary of the wildlife in the Galapagos Islands where the turtles ate those flowers (cacti are not to tall).


There is a pre-Columbian custom of fermenting the red prickly pear (the size of peaches). The drink is known as "colonche"


People use to eat the large and juicy prickly pear with red or yellow pulp:
I have a breeding group of red footed tortoises here.. next to hibiscus.. prickly pear cactus is their favorite treat... we can buy the edible ones from time to time in the grocery store here.

Nice pics!
AL
04-17-2021, 04:01 AM - 7 Likes   #2307
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Rovaniemi, Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 815
Into the new spring

SMC 55mm f/1,8 on *istD

04-17-2021, 04:13 AM   #2308
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,878
The quality and creativeness still amaze me every time I visit this thread. Who needs megapixels! Great work guys.
04-17-2021, 10:09 AM - 5 Likes   #2309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,003
Original Poster
Jeannie taking a shady break - Super Tak 105/2.8 on *ist D (xposted)

04-18-2021, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #2310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 957
QuoteOriginally posted by babisskg Quote
Hallo to all of you , hope you accept an image from my Sigma dp 1 .
I am not a very active member , my old Pentax K7 is no longer exist , still i find the thread extremely interesting .
I am working with old digital cameras , mostly a Nikon D1 .
The shot is from my hometown , Thessaloniki , Greece .
Interesting, I like it .
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
*ist, 16mm, camera, color, crop, dslr, flickr, gx-1s, images, istd, k10d, lens, models, night, package, paul, pentax, photography, picture, pm, post, pp, series, shot, smc pentax, vs, zenitar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
24 megapixel vs 16 megapixel image quality for macros Renato Pentax K-3 & K-3 II 40 10-01-2020 01:54 PM
41 Megapixel Nokia 808 smartphone camera falconeye Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 375 09-03-2020 10:27 PM
Phase One 100 Megapixel? K57XR Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 01-17-2016 06:59 PM
Samsung said to soon introduce 14.6-megapixel CMOS image sensor. What does it mean? ogl Pentax News and Rumors 13 05-22-2008 05:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top