Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #2521

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Nice shot! I have a strange vision of the boat after loading looking like a hedgehog with people sticking out of it everywhere!
Thanks! Seems this picture has some comical potential really.

---------- Post added 06-15-21 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Love this one - very mysterious!
Thanks Paul.

06-16-2021, 05:54 AM - 10 Likes   #2522

K100D + da 55-300

06-16-2021, 12:13 PM - 12 Likes   #2523

Dusted off the lovely Samsung GX-1S recently (a clone of the *ist DS2 I believe), which is my second example of this camera. The first I had in 2017 and sold as I didn't think I needed it anymore. Then rediscovering the CCDs via a Pentax K100D, I couldn't resist this Samsung which came up a few months later, last summer.

I've been using the Helios 44 descendent, the Zenit MC Zenitar-M2s 50mm f/2. Mostly plastic, and one of the least smooth focusing lenses I've used, but it makes quite lovely images, especially with a CCD sensor. At least a match for the Helios, which I've had many of, and love.

06-16-2021, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #2524
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Zenitar-M2s 50mm f/2
Welcome back - lovely image!

06-16-2021, 05:40 PM - 9 Likes   #2525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
135mm f2 @ f2 on DS2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS2  Photo 
06-16-2021, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #2526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
135mm f2 @ f2 on DS2
Nice one - looks like a medium-format photo
06-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #2527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice one - looks like a medium-format photo
I had not realized that. Than You for the feedback.

06-17-2021, 01:19 PM - 7 Likes   #2528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stump Recycling

Great 6MPix shots, guys! I especially like the dune from Simon.

Three different plants have found their new home inside a hollow stump. K100D + SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4

06-17-2021, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #2529

QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
Three different plants have found their new home inside a hollow stump
This reminds me I still have an appointment with the dentist. I'll better keep an eye on possible fern growth until then.
Glad you like the dune shot, thanks. I took a peek over the fence of the local gravel pit to get it. I'd really like to walk around on a lot of interresting places, but sadly most of the ground here is privat property and fenced off.

You recently showed another fern from above, I like them both, but if you'd ask - the fern covered with petals is my favourite

---------- Post added 06-17-21 at 02:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Dusted off the lovely Samsung GX-1S
This is such a lovely flower photo, Dan.
06-17-2021, 03:22 PM - 6 Likes   #2530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jeannie & I wandering the paths around the ponds, Dec. 2017. S-M-C Takumar 20/4.5 on *ist D:
Wonderful photos, everyone!

06-17-2021, 04:09 PM   #2531

Jeannie & I wandering the paths around the ponds, Dec. 2017. S-M-C Takumar 20/4.5 on *ist D:
I like the shadows of the trees on the ground, it almost looks like the coat of a giraffe

Last edited by Simon K; 06-17-2021 at 04:19 PM.
06-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #2532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
I like the shadows of the trees on the ground, it almost looks like the coat of a giraffe
Thanks, Simon. The ground and shadows were definitely a feature of the shot - and yes, I see what you mean! I always loved the low sun and long shadows of the winter and fall months in TX.
06-17-2021, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #2533

I always loved the low sun and long shadows of the winter and fall months in TX.
Looking at the colours in this picture I think I can understand why, Paul. This makes me think of my new attempt this afternoon to befriend with my K5. The colours of the ground and the sky in your picture simply look true viewed on my monitor. My issue with the K5 is they don't, nor do the tonal values. I took some shots of the same subject with both the K5 and the K100D, and when I compared the shots, the cmos colours are not as natural to my eye, even with the same settings in camera and with the same lens. Both with jpegs and raws. I still don't want to give up on the K5, trying to figure out a setting that comes close. But I also think about getting an *ist DS, so I can leave an m42 adapter on it permanently to use the pentaprism viewfinder for manual lenses and have the K100D for af use. I'll see.
06-18-2021, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #2534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you like the dune shot, thanks. I took a peek over the fence of the local gravel pit to get it. I'd really like to walk around on a lot of interresting places, but sadly most of the ground here is privat property and fenced off.
You recently showed another fern from above, I like them both, but if you'd ask - the fern covered with petals is my favourite
I don't want to encourage anyone to trespass anything but some "no admission" signs are just to put the responsibility on you. If you get injured or killed, it's your problem. You shouldn't have come here. I use common sense and sometimes enter these places to get some interesting shots. Nobody ever shouted at me.
The "fern and petals" shot was at a place found by accident - while descending an overgrown hill I strayed a bit and found that place.

@paulh Very nice. I've got a very similar scene from this early spring. Without your furry friend though.
06-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #2535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking at the colours in this picture I think I can understand why, Paul. This makes me think of my new attempt this afternoon to befriend with my K5. The colours of the ground and the sky in your picture simply look true viewed on my monitor. My issue with the K5 is they don't, nor do the tonal values. I took some shots of the same subject with both the K5 and the K100D, and when I compared the shots, the cmos colours are not as natural to my eye, even with the same settings in camera and with the same lens. Both with jpegs and raws. I still don't want to give up on the K5, trying to figure out a setting that comes close. But I also think about getting an *ist DS, so I can leave an m42 adapter on it permanently to use the pentaprism viewfinder for manual lenses and have the K100D for af use. I'll see.
This all sounds too familiar! I've had my K-5 for five years and still struggle with those CMOS colors. I can get close by warming up WB a bit, or tweaking the color balance, but it just never feels right compared to output from my CCD camera bodies. By the way, a dedicated m42 body is a wonderful thing!