Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 02:16 PM - 4 Likes   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First pony sighting for a few weeks, as they start to risk coming back down from the high moor again after most of the herd were rounded up for market last month. With the Super Takumar 55mm/2.0.

10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Good to know there's another CCD option out there should my K10D and GX-10 both fail!

I've been exploring other CCD sensors a little, which has led me almost back to a Pentax, a Ricoh GR D. The first model I think had an 8MP CCD, and the ii and iii models had a 10MP CCD. Obviously smaller sensors than in the K10D, but appealing nonetheless, especially with all the other features and praise they get...

Shot these today in rather grey conditions with my Samsung GX-1s and the humble, and I feel underrated, Rikenon 50/2 K mount lens. They're cheap, light, small (I have the smaller almost "pancake" version") and perform very well, and make an excellent compact companion to the little 6MP CCD bodies.

Nice shots. Love the bokeh and color saturation.

Yes, the K200D seems to be a bit of a unicorn, having been produced for less than a year, the shortest run to date of any Pentax DSLR. But because few people seem to know about it, they're sometimes undervalued. I picked mine up on eBay, with the ubiquitous 18-55 lens and all manuals and original accessories, for $94 including shipping.
10-18-2017, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #333
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Good to know there's another CCD option out there should my K10D and GX-10 both fail!
Get yourself one of these, Dan...

Then again, maybe not

I've been meaning to start a "Two Megapixel Club" thread, but didn't get round to it yet
10-20-2017, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #334
Forum Member

Every time I start thinking I could take better pictures if only I had a K3ii or a K1, or whatever the next cameras will be (have a K5), I take a look at the beautiful pictures here and get my head screwed back on straight again. Keep posting the great shots and comments!

10-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
most of the herd were rounded up for market last month.
Hmm...what does this mean? Love those tones, Dave!
10-21-2017, 01:26 AM   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Hmm...what does this mean?

Oh dear, this post might be upsetting, so before I start let me make it clear that I wish the commercial trade in Dartmoor ponies didn't exist. I wish that we still had herds of thousands of them left to roam free, as it was in the past. But the brutal realities of modern agriculture just don't allow for that anymore. Cattle and sheep farmers want the moorland grazing for their own more profitable livestock, so pony numbers are carefully controlled, and they would probably be gone altogether if it wasn't for their appeal to tourists.

So every autumn there is a roundup and count of the ponies, called the Drift, and most of them go off to market leaving just a breeding stock behind for the next year. The lucky ones become riding ponies for little kids, but sadly that's not very many nowadays. The tragic truth is that more than half the pony foals born each year end up as food for zoo animals. There is also a small trade in pony meat for human consumption, which is something that I don't think I could ever bring myself to try personally.

As you can imagine, the ponies stay well away from human beings up on the high moor for a while after the Drift, but they are always drawn back down again by the better grazing and the naughty snacks that they get from ignorant humans.

And as for me: I photograph the local herds each year as they grow, and by the end of the summer I feel like I know many of them as individuals, but as October approaches I know that they'll soon be gone. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.
10-21-2017, 01:50 AM   #337
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And as for me: I photograph the local herds each year as they grow, and by the end of the summer I feel like I know many of them as individuals, but as October approaches I know that they'll soon be gone. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.
What an extremely sad and distressing situation that is, Dave.

I can understand and grudgingly accept the need population control in certain circumstances - but when it's done simply to make space for human activities, it's a very difficult pill to swallow

10-21-2017, 07:04 AM - 3 Likes   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What an extremely sad and distressing situation that is, Dave.

I can understand and grudgingly accept the need population control in certain circumstances - but when it's done simply to make space for human activities, it's a very difficult pill to swallow
For me it's difficult to accept those adorable little ponies as merely livestock, but I understand the area can only support so many

On a brighter note, here's a shot from a local lake at sunset. Super Tak 28/3.5 on *ist D:
10-22-2017, 05:03 AM - 3 Likes   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Testing an unusual lens combo here, a DA 16-45 F4 and the Pentax 1.7 AF adaptor on my DS. Trying to get a little more reach as the bugs hide on the other side of the branch or leaf if you get too close. The AF adaptor does work for super fast minor focus adjustments but I think it's too much work using this lens. The adaptor works good for my intended usage with my SMC A* 400.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
10-22-2017, 10:00 AM - 3 Likes   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Again with the Super Tak 28/3.5 on *ist D:
10-25-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Both from the *ist D...
Super Tak 28/3.5, showing off it's 'flare resistance'

Zenitar 16:
10-26-2017, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
F35-70 on *ist D:
10-27-2017, 01:33 AM - 2 Likes   #343
Pentaxian

I really needed the pony to turn its head into profile to make this one work, but it just wouldn't. Can't seem to get the right models these days. And I suppose I could have faked a blazing red sky, but that's not gonna happen.

10-28-2017, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #344
Pentaxian

Great Staple Tor reflection with the Super Takumar 55mm/2.0, which seems to have found a very happy home on the DL2. (The "great" is the name of the tor, not an opinion about the photo.)

10-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can't seem to get the right models these days.
Very nice shots Dave. Love the subtle backlighting on the pony.

Joggers approaching the bridge at a local park. Zenitar 16 on *ist D:

F35-70 on *ist D:

Last edited by paulh; 10-30-2017 at 09:32 AM.