Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
From early December - Tak 20 on *ist D [xposted]

01-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #422
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
From early December - Tak 20 on *ist D
Nicely captured and pretty scene, Paul... reminds me a little of the riverside in Weybridge, Surrey where I used to live some years ago

Can I ask a question? When using manual lenses on the *ist D and other older, non-Live-View bodies, do you tend to shoot at relatively slow apertures (and, hence, with reasonable depth of field)? I'm OK with manual focus through the viewfinder, but not always spot on, depending on the subject. It's really only a problem for very close subjects captured at fast apertures, but it's the reason I tend to save manual focus lenses for my mirrorless Sony gear, or at a push, my K-3 with viewfinder loupe in Live View...
01-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nicely captured and pretty scene, Paul... reminds me a little of the riverside in Weybridge, Surrey where I used to live some years ago

Can I ask a question? When using manual lenses on the *ist D and other older, non-Live-View bodies, do you tend to shoot at relatively slow apertures (and, hence, with reasonable depth of field)? I'm OK with manual focus through the viewfinder, but not always spot on, depending on the subject. It's really only a problem for very close subjects captured at fast apertures, but it's the reason I tend to save manual focus lenses for my mirrorless Sony gear, or at a push, my K-3 with viewfinder loupe in Live View...
Thanks, Mike. Actually, the *ist D (and DS) have very good viewfinders, and my eyes are still good enough to manage manual focusing with them much of the time. FWIW, I wear glasses, but leave them on when shooting. I've been using the D with a K55/1.8 lately, and I'm having pretty good success shooting some outdoors closeups at fast apertures. So for me, its a matter of having decent available light, and having decent enough vision to pull it off. But one of these days...maybe not. I have a K5, which also has a good viewfinder, but have yet to even try a live-view shot!

The pond shot above was taken at f/8 or f/9 I think. Stopping down like that brings out the dirty sensor, too - as I just now noticed.
01-07-2018, 01:41 PM - 3 Likes   #424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
*istDL2 with a MF Tokina AT-X 2.8/80-200

01-08-2018, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #425
Pentaxian

If it's mostly a problem close-up with the lens wide open, it could just be a question of re-shimming the focusing screen. I'm not sure what tolerances the factory collimates to with cameras intended mainly for autofocus lenses, but I certainly had to re-shim my GX-10's screen to get it right. I've always assumed that Pentax thinks that the green hexagon aid (and focus peaking on more recent cameras) is all you should need for manual focus, so they don't bother too much about getting the focusing screen collimated bang-on. But of course it could just be that I've bought my cameras second hand, and the screen has gone slightly out of alignment from a knock or two.

Assuming the screen is properly shimmed, I just focus with the stock screen and the O-ME53 magnifier. I never even look at the green hexagon. I stop down for depth of field when needed, but with M42 lenses I always slide the auto/manual switch to auto to open up for focusing, then back to manual to stop down to shoot (I'm sure you know about that trick already).

Of course, purists would mention that the stock screens used in DSLRs are really only designed to be used with about an f/3.5 maximum aperture, because brightness is considered more important than accuracy. But I had no problems focusing even my 50mm/1.4 wide open with the stock screen when I still had it.
01-08-2018, 03:01 AM   #426
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
If it's mostly a problem close-up with the lens wide open, it could just be a question of re-shimming the focusing screen. I'm not sure what tolerances the factory collimates to with cameras intended mainly for autofocus lenses, but I certainly had to re-shim my GX-10's screen to get it right. I've always assumed that Pentax thinks that the green hexagon aid (and focus peaking on more recent cameras) is all you should need for manual focus, so they don't bother too much about getting the focusing screen collimated bang-on. But of course it could just be that I've bought my cameras second hand, and the screen has gone slightly out of alignment from a knock or two.

Assuming the screen is properly shimmed, I just focus with the stock screen and the O-ME53 magnifier. I never even look at the green hexagon. I stop down for depth of field when needed, but with M42 lenses I always slide the auto/manual switch to auto to open up for focusing, then back to manual to stop down to shoot (I'm sure you know about that trick already).
Thanks for that, Dave. I hadn't thought about the need to shim a factory installed focus screen. My older cameras (GX-10, GX-1L and *ist DL) were bought used, too, so it's quite possible they might need it. I guess I'll have to do some tests to verify the accuracy. What do you use for shim material?

Like you, I never bother with the focus confirmation hexagon - I work purely by eye. I have the O-ME53 fitted to my GX-10 (and my K-3 / K-3II), but not my six megapickle bodies. It certainly makes a huge difference for me. And yes, I usually focus wide open, then stop down to take the shot. That has actually caught me out on a couple of occasions with very close up shots, as a few of my MF primes (one is the Jupiter-9, if I remember correctly) exhibit some focus shifting when stopped down...

Of course, purists would mention that the stock screens used in DSLRs are really only designed to be used with about an f/3.5 maximum aperture, because brightness is considered more important than accuracy. But I had no problems focusing even my 50mm/1.4 wide open with the stock screen when I still had it.
I think I just need to bite the bullet and practice more, Dave Generally, I'm reasonably accurate, and the misses aren't usually bad enough to ruin a shot at my normal reproduction sizes
01-08-2018, 10:36 AM - 3 Likes   #427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I just need to bite the bullet and practice more, Dave Generally, I'm reasonably accurate, and the misses aren't usually bad enough to ruin a shot at my normal reproduction sizes
Practice does help! I usually shoot with wider lenses - 20, 28, 35mm or so, but lately have been using my 50s and 55s. I found that I really need to brush up on my technique with the slightly longer FL. When I think of 50s, I think of: flowers, bokeh, closeups, etc - but I'm trying to expand on that by shooting more landscapes and scenery. Getting the right composition & focus point is a bit of a challenge, as well as hand-holding technique to reduce shake using the old non-SR bodies. I'm seriously thinking of picking up another K10D for use with my Taks, esp the longer focal lengths. That way I get the benefit of the CCD sensor along with SR. My current K10D has some issues that limit its use to AF lenses only (I've talked about this elsewhere).

SMC Tak 20 on *ist D:

01-09-2018, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
SMC Tak 20 on *ist D:

You've definitely got the Tak 20 look with that one, Paul.

What do you use for shim material?

It's a couple of years ago now, but if I remember correctly I was getting front focusing, so I had to replace the factory shim with something thinner. I picked up various disposable cups and bowls from the supermarket with different thicknesses of plastic, used the factory shim as a template, and then found the thickness of plastic that worked through trial and error. Focus has been spot-on ever since.

Of course perfectionists would cringe with horror at such a method. They'd say that you have to obtain factory original shims, or at least have new ones laser cut from pristine brass, or it's certain doom for your camera. I've always preferred simple DIY solutions that just work.
01-09-2018, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You've definitely got the Tak 20 look with that one, Paul.
Thanks Dave - it's such a wonderful lens to use!

F35-70 on *ist D:
01-11-2018, 02:12 PM - 4 Likes   #430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is another one with the *istDL2 and a MF 2.8/80-200 Tokina AT-X ... and a little bit of luck with the timing
That was the only Baseball game I have ever seen in a stadium.

01-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #431
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Here is another one with the *istDL2 and a MF 2.8/80-200 Tokina AT-X ... and a little bit of luck with the timing
That's an *excellent* action shot! Very well captured!

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
That was the only Baseball game I have ever seen in a stadium.
I've only seen one such game too, and your shot brought back fond memories. I was in New York for one of my frequent business trips, and my now ex-wife and son had flown over to spend a long weekend with me and visit NY for the first time. Charlie, my very good (and now, sadly, late) friend from our Jersey City office surprised me with a wonderful gift of three tickets for excellent seats at the first of the Subway Series, up in the Bronx. It was rained off, and I thought we'd miss the game, but they re-scheduled it for the following day (if I remember correctly). He even supplied a driver for the day, to ferry us to and from the stadium and dinner at Del Frisco's in midtown. One of the most enjoyable days of my life... and I do miss dear Charlie
01-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's an *excellent* action shot! Very well captured!

I've only seen one such game too, and your shot brought back fond memories. I was in New York for one of my frequent business trips, and my now ex-wife and son had flown over to spend a long weekend with me and visit NY for the first time. Charlie, my very good (and now, sadly, late) friend from our Jersey City office surprised me with a wonderful gift of three tickets for excellent seats at the first of the Subway Series, up in the Bronx. It was rained off, and I thought we'd miss the game, but they re-scheduled it for the following day (if I remember correctly). He even supplied a driver for the day, to ferry us to and from the stadium and dinner at Del Frisco's in midtown. One of the most enjoyable days of my life... and I do miss dear Charlie
Thanks for your comment and for sharing the story, Mike! I'm glad that my humble shot helped to bring back some fond memories.
What more can you ask for when you take a shot? ... at least when you are not a pro.
01-12-2018, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A November afternoon at the park. F35-70 on *ist D:

01-16-2018, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its cold, rain and sleet here. Put the K-3II away and used the 1st DS for some thru the door glass shots on the frozen back deck...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
01-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #435

Those are really nice shots, Paul.