Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13118 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2020, 06:45 PM - 3 Likes   #1276

Very nice Paulh

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My ist ds took a dump Sunday and I ordered a new k-70. If I can get the old one revived I may still use it from time to time. I've enjoyed this thread a lot.
This was my first try at grey scale.

Attached Images

05-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #1277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brbob1 Quote
My ist ds took a dump Sunday
Sorry to hear! What batteries are you using? I've been using my *ist D for over 10 years with Eneloop rechargeables. No power issues ever. Regular alkalines won't work, but I haven't tried lithium batteries. Haven't needed to!
05-27-2020, 12:57 AM   #1278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sorry to hear! What batteries are you using? I've been using my *ist D for over 10 years with Eneloop rechargeables. No power issues ever. Regular alkalines won't work, but I haven't tried lithium batteries. Haven't needed to!
Seconded : My *ist DS and my *ist DL2 are both totally reliable with Eneloops in them. The other big advantage of Eneloops is that even after a year or more they're still holding a useable charge (not in the camera, where the clock drains them). I've used other NiMH rechargeable batteries and probably NiCads before them, without any camera problems, but only Eneloops have that almost miraculous charge-retention shelf life
05-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #1279
Pentaxian

On eBay UK this evening :-

Pentax *ist D 6.1MP… sold for GBP 124.22

... and that was body only!

05-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #1280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
On eBay UK this evening :-

Pentax *ist D 6.1MP… sold for GBP 124.22

... and that was body only!
Wow - must have been a pristine copy! ($152 US)
05-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #1281
Pentaxian

Wow - must have been a pristine copy! ($152 US)

... no box ... Pentax ist D 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body only) | eBay
05-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #1282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I have the box - will sell for...$49? (shipping extra)

05-27-2020, 05:45 PM - 2 Likes   #1283

Good news!! Cleaning the lens contacts brought mine back to life. Plus I had a bad smudge on the sensor. I managed to clean it completely and the focus screen too. I will continue to use my istds so I can stay in the club

I have been using rechargeable AA's which is a real pain. I can hardly get through a shooting session without a swap. I ordered some 1300 mAh battery's but no one has the charger anymore. I think I can figure out a way to charge them with my bench DC power supply.

I bought a new K-70 with the Pentax 55-300mm and the 100mm prime macro. I'll try and get some macro shots with istds. Once I get past the learning curve !!
05-27-2020, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #1284
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good news!! Cleaning the lens contacts brought mine back to life. Plus I had a bad smudge on the sensor. I managed to clean it completely and the focus screen too. I will continue to use my istds so I can stay in the club

I have been using rechargeable AA's which is a real pain. I can hardly get through a shooting session without a swap. I ordered some 1300 mAh battery's but no one has the charger anymore. I think I can figure out a way to charge them with my bench DC power supply.

I bought a new K-70 with the Pentax 55-300mm and the 100mm prime macro. I'll try and get some macro shots with istds. Once I get past the learning curve !!
Glad you got it working again!

I wonder if the rechargeable batteries you are using can handle high drain electronics like cameras. I also use eneloops, and used them in my K200d (first DSLR) for years. I would leave them in there for weeks it felt like before they needed a recharge. Now that you have a new camera, it may not matter, but for $10-12 you can grab the Eneloops or a comparable brand and you'd be set.

Grats on the K-70. It's a fantastic camera. I shot one once briefly and was blown away at the quality for the money. You're basically getting the highest quality stuff at a fraction of the cost. Good set of lenses, too. Have fun.
05-28-2020, 08:47 AM - 4 Likes   #1285
Pentaxian

the boat

SMC 55mm f/1,8 on *istD

[IMG][/IMG]
05-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #1286

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Glad you got it working again!

I wonder if the rechargeable batteries you are using can handle high drain electronics like cameras. I also use eneloops, and used them in my K200d (first DSLR) for years. I would leave them in there for weeks it felt like before they needed a recharge. Now that you have a new camera, it may not matter, but for $10-12 you can grab the Eneloops or a comparable brand and you'd be set.

Grats on the K-70. It's a fantastic camera. I shot one once briefly and was blown away at the quality for the money. You're basically getting the highest quality stuff at a fraction of the cost. Good set of lenses, too. Have fun.
I've watched some of your videos Snappy. Very nice. I particularly like the one where you took your 50mm apart
05-29-2020, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #1287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Main Street, Grapevine TX. DA18-55 on *ist D:
05-29-2020, 05:59 PM - 7 Likes   #1288

Hello everybody! I have been using as my primary digital camera a Pentax K100D Super for a few years now and I always wondered how is it that old Pentax DSLR's are so unknown to photographers in general. I have been asked a few times why is it that I cling to an old 2006 6 MP camera, my best response being the pictures it can deliver and the fact that you can mount old P/K lenses (main reason why I bought it). For around 200 bucks I could gather an awesome camera and a bunch of lenses from thrift shops and flea markets. I even thought about it as being a member of some kind of elite secret society whereas my "naive" profane collegues spent scads of money in more modern systems and lenses. Well, it seems I have found the coven and I cannot be more glad about it. Nice to meet you all by the way.

Here's what my 6 megapixels can do:

05-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #1289

Your dog does not look happy
05-29-2020, 08:06 PM - 3 Likes   #1290

Your dog does not look happy
That's not my dog! Mine is much more cute, though I love the intense phawn colour of the one I just posted. And yeah, I guess all french bulldogs have that sad face I guess. This one just looked at at the lens as if he knew that I was taking the picture. Amazing how human-like the stare of an animal can be in a good portrait. Here's a picture of my dog, Zelda, also taken with my Pentax K100D Super and a Rikoh Rikenon P 50mm F1.7: