Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13118 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2019, 01:50 PM - 10 Likes   #766
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Long time lurker, first time poster - I finally have some picture to share with this club. You all inspired me with your photography and love of the art. I get too caught up in tech and specs and gear sometimes, so it's really helped me going through here and seeing everyone's work. I was lucky to come upon a cheap lot with a Pentax Ist DL recently and had a blast with it.

I made a video with more of my thoughts. It's mostly silly, but check it out anyway if you want:

Here's some pics:

Rokinon 135mm f/2

Tamron 28-75mm (new version) Surprisingly quick auto focus.

Samyang 35mm f/1.4

03-16-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #767
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Long time lurker, first time poster - I finally have some picture to share with this club. You all inspired me with your photography and love of the art. I get too caught up in tech and specs and gear sometimes, so it's really helped me going through here and seeing everyone's work. I was lucky to come upon a cheap lot with a Pentax Ist DL recently and had a blast with it.

I made a video with more of my thoughts. It's mostly silly, but check it out anyway if you want:
Awesome video and the photos aren't bad either! You've touched upon the reasons I still enjoy the older but simpler tech. Don't give up your DL just yet - I'm sure there'll be a few more keepers to post here in The Club! Many thanks.
03-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #768
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote

I made a video with more of my thoughts. It's mostly silly, but check it out anyway if you want
I think we owe you a debt of thanks for such a fun, objective and entertaining video that summarises very well why the folks in this thread still use these old 6MP cameras, and the variety of photography posted here. The video is very nicely produced, by the way - both the visual and audio aspects. There's a lot of work gone into this, clearly.

As I write this, I've just loaded a freshly-charged foursome of Duracell lithium-ion AAs into my old Samsung GX-1L (Pentax *ist DL2 equivalent). The weather doesn't look too bad tomorrow, so I'll get out for a little photography... and, whilst I have a bunch of different cameras competing for my time, my lil' 6MP pal is the "chosen one" for this shoot.

Thanks again for an excellent video
03-16-2019, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #769
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
S-M-C Takumar 20/4.5 on *ist D, from 2017 [xposted]

From Oct. 2015 with the Image 28/2.8 on *ist D:

Last edited by paulh; 03-16-2019 at 03:51 PM.
03-20-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In the woods last April - M50/1.7 on *ist D:
03-24-2019, 04:29 AM - 2 Likes   #771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 1st DS has a ring flash on it at all times just for the ttl ....this image thru my backdoor glass window....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-24-2019, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #772

I think we will all agree that batteries are an issue with these cameras. Lithium AAs work great, but they are expensive and one-use only. NiMH are hit-and-miss. I did a search on the thread and only found one mention about Li-Ion batteries. A couple of years ago, I started using Kastar CR-V3 3V Li-Ion rechargeable batteries. I bought 4 batteries and 2 chargers and that way I can keep a spare set charged and ready to go. I think it cost me around $12.50 on Amazon for 2 batteries and a charger. The Li-Ion batteries put out the correct voltage for the camera, 3V x 2 = 6V, as opposed to NiMH batteries which only put out 1.35V x 4 = 5.4V. Also, the Li-Ion batteries seem to have a higher capacity and don't self-discharge as quickly. Anyway, I thought I would mention this as I found it made a huge difference for me by removing the battery pain-point that seems to afflict these cameras.

03-24-2019, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #773
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dperreno Quote
I think we will all agree that batteries are an issue with these cameras.

Nope ... never had a problem with either my *ist Ds or my *ist DL2 using NiMH AA rechargeables.

I'm currently using Panasonic "eneloop"s simply because they don't self discharge, or at least, so slowly as to hardly notice (several months). Previously I was using Duracell's "StayCharged" which are almost as good, certainly very many weeks.

I've used both Hama and Energiser NiMH cells prior to the Duracells, but the self-discharge rate on them was so high as to make a spare set of cells almost superfluous. By the time the camera needed a replacement set of batteries, the spare set was almost flat as well!

At no time have I had a problem with the operation of either camera when fitted with a set of charged batteries.

It would seem apparent that some camera/battery combinations can be troublesome, but we certainly don't "all agree"
03-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a utility truck parked on the hiking trails. The crew was doing some cleanup at the creek. F35-70 on *ist D:
03-28-2019, 07:18 AM - 5 Likes   #775

Hello 6 megapixel club members, I saw Snapppy's video on yotube, and found the Iddee very good.
Here are some of my Pentax ist*DL 6 MP pictures taken with the Soligor Macro 100mm 1:3,5 and Matched Macro Adaptor 1.1
Focus stacking with 16-18 images.

Best regards Jürgen
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
03-28-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jürgen Quote
Best regards Jürgen
Very nice, and welcome!

Just a walkaround shot with the F35-70 on *ist D:
03-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
My 1st DS has a ring flash on it at all times just for the ttl ....this image thru my backdoor glass window....
Good idea!

Recently my DS2 goes death after a falling; Now I'm biding for another DS to have a ring flash at all the time, just like You. Uptoday nobody care for a 6mp Camera, and I think that nobody else will bid Pentax IST DS Camera w/Pentax Lens
03-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My biggest reason for using the DS and the ttl ring flash is it takes great flash photos....
03-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #779
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
DS and the ttl ring flash
To have a Ttl Ring Flash is my next goal, maybe the Pentax AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash.

What Model and Brand are You using?
03-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #780
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tamron Adaptall-2 02B on *ist D: