Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #871
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Glad to see the 6MP Club still going strong!
Good to see you back - lovely photos, too!
I love the combination of the CCD sensors and Takumars (I know Dartmoor Dave agrees ), so I have two each of the K10D and *ist D. One for k-mounts, the other for m42. Crazy, eh?

08-15-2019, 01:08 AM   #872
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Glad to see the 6MP Club still going strong!

It's great to have you back, Dan, and a joy to see those photos shot to your usual exceptional standard.
08-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Because six megapixels is plenty. . .

A slightly soggy walk this afternoon with the Takumar 28mm/3.5 on the DL2. A combination that I've made sort of DIY weather resistant by. . . well, putting it in a plastic bag basically.

Dave, are there enough hard surfaces in the environment there to wear down the wild ponies hoofs properly, or do humans have to intervene on occasion to give some of them hoof trims?
08-15-2019, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I love the combination of the CCD sensors and Takumars (I know Dartmoor Dave agrees ), so I have two each of the K10D and *ist D. One for k-mounts, the other for m42. Crazy, eh?
Not crazy, just a little more enthusiastic than me ... I only have a *istD S and a *istD L2 similarly configured, my "K" cameras are mostly full-time bayonet-mount, though I do use manual focus lenses with them

08-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #875

Paul, thank you. I want to try M42s again but for now I’m loving the K100D with an A 50/1.7, an F 35-70/3.5-4.5 which is surprisingly good in the 70mm “macro” range, plus my 50/1.8 and 35/2.4 DAs...

Thanks Dave, glad to see the Dartmoor shots still coming with those wide old Taks. I thought I’d read in this thread recently (but can’t find it again now) you talking about cleaning a DSLR sensor, and your approach was very straightforward and inexpensive. Can you share again, or am I mistaken that it was you? Thanks!
08-16-2019, 01:26 PM - 4 Likes   #876

Just sold a *istDS with only 5000 shots on it but I got back my K100D Super. Can't wait to try it out again.
Attached Images

08-16-2019, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Dave, are there enough hard surfaces in the environment there to wear down the wild ponies hoofs properly, or do humans have to intervene on occasion to give some of them hoof trims?
The ground here is usually either exposed granite bedrock, granite with only and inch or two of soil on it. . . or peat marsh. So the ponies hooves usually wear down naturally, although you'll occasionally see one that could maybe do with a bit of a trim. I'm so used to seeing unshod ponies around that it seems quite unnatural to see somebody riding a shod horse. And the ponies certainly seem to find the idea a bit absurd.

Thanks Dave, glad to see the Dartmoor shots still coming with those wide old Taks. I thought I’d read in this thread recently (but can’t find it again now) you talking about cleaning a DSLR sensor, and your approach was very straightforward and inexpensive. Can you share again, or am I mistaken that it was you? Thanks!
Thanks Dan. The sensor cleaning could have been me. I just use a cotton bud (Q-tips preferably) very lightly moistened with lens cleaning fluid. The same stuff in a spray bottle from Boots that I use on my reading glasses and camera lenses when needed. Just a gentle wipe with a barely moist bud, then another wipe with a dry one. And obviously a blast with a blower first and afterwards.

Purist gear collectors will gasp in horror at such a method, but the glass on the sensor is plenty scratch resistant enough. You'd think sensor cleaning was brain surgery, the way some folk fret about it.

08-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #878
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ground here is usually either exposed granite bedrock, granite with only and inch or two of soil on it. . . or peat marsh. So the ponies hooves usually wear down naturally, although you'll occasionally see one that could maybe do with a bit of a trim. I'm so used to seeing unshod ponies around that it seems quite unnatural to see somebody riding a shod horse. And the ponies certainly seem to find the idea a bit absurd.
Good thing for that exposed granite to be there in sufficient quantity. Not enough abrasive surface here to avoid paying for several farrier visits per year for hoof trims for domestic equines.
08-16-2019, 11:39 PM - 4 Likes   #879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Geranium with the Image 28/2.8 on *ist D:
08-17-2019, 01:16 AM   #880
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Good thing for that exposed granite to be there in sufficient quantity. Not enough abrasive surface here to avoid paying for several farrier visits per year for hoof trims for domestic equines.

Sounds expensive. I should have also mentioned that one abrasive surface that the ponies spend a lot of time on is the roads. They are drawn to the heat that it retains from traffic in the colder months (and even summer nights), and they are also drawn by the salt that's spread on it to prevent ice. You'll often see them licking at the road surface in the winter.

But because they are drawn to the roads there's a tragically high fatality rate from idiot drivers who don't know how to behave in an area like this. And there's no excuse when it's really such a simple rule: always be able to stop within the distance that you can see ahead. If you can't see round a corner, always assume that there will be an animal standing in the road.

In any accident, we locals are inclined to tend to the pony, sheep or cow first. There's no sympathy at all for the moron behind the wheel.
08-17-2019, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #881
Pentaxian

... If you can't see round a corner, always assume that there will be an animal standing in the road.

Made that mistake back in the '70's when touring on an old motorbike. Fortunately, apart from the inherent lack of performance from a 1942 Harley, the 6 volt headlight meant I couldn't see very far anyway, so we weren't going fast. Came around a bend heading back towards Ashburton after dark and a group of animals were bedded down on the tarmac! Avoided everything, without too much squealing of rubber, and got a filthy look from a couple of the ponies
08-17-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds expensive. I should have also mentioned that one abrasive surface that the ponies spend a lot of time on is the roads. They are drawn to the heat that it retains from traffic in the colder months (and even summer nights), and they are also drawn by the salt that's spread on it to prevent ice. You'll often see them licking at the road surface in the winter.

But because they are drawn to the roads there's a tragically high fatality rate from idiot drivers who don't know how to behave in an area like this. And there's no excuse when it's really such a simple rule: always be able to stop within the distance that you can see ahead. If you can't see round a corner, always assume that there will be an animal standing in the road.

In any accident, we locals are inclined to tend to the pony, sheep or cow first. There's no sympathy at all for the moron behind the wheel.
The farrier who comes for our donkey is pretty reasonable. Part of the year he comes every 8 weeks, and when hooves grow faster, every 6 weeks. It sounds like the Dartmoor ponies have quite a large area to roam around in, so just the distance they are regularly traveling is going to wear down hooves even on the softer surfaces, but the granite and roads are going to be more effective. Sorry to hear about the collisions with vehicles. We have a gigantic number of wild white-tailed deer here, so they are the most common large animal out on roads, mainly at night. There are far fewer cows on farms in this area than there were fifty of more years ago, but occasionally, perhaps every few years, there will be a collision between a stray cow and a vehicle. I find it frustrating when the news reports never say what happened to the cow.
08-17-2019, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #883

Thanks Dan. The sensor cleaning could have been me. I just use a cotton bud (Q-tips preferably) very lightly moistened with lens cleaning fluid. The same stuff in a spray bottle from Boots that I use on my reading glasses and camera lenses when needed. Just a gentle wipe with a barely moist bud, then another wipe with a dry one. And obviously a blast with a blower first and afterwards.

Purist gear collectors will gasp in horror at such a method, but the glass on the sensor is plenty scratch resistant enough. You'd think sensor cleaning was brain surgery, the way some folk fret about it.
Thanks Dave, that sounds exactly like the previous method I read. I wasn't sure of the fluid used.

I have an old Pentax DSLR on the way and I suspect it had a dirty sensor, so was just getting prepared to clean it if necessary.
08-18-2019, 11:10 PM - 2 Likes   #884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
M50/1.7 on *ist D:
08-22-2019, 11:02 PM - 3 Likes   #885
Veteran Member

I've been looking for a good priced ist for a while, some people want a fortune for the things, for the time being I'll make do with my K10's,
plus my old 5mp Oly E1 seems very similar to the ist with the silky smooth CCD sensor.
P1012799 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/134520424@N02/]