Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13125 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #2191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Where is this ?
Looks historic..
is that a specific painter’s mural/ border up high in the background ?

Nice shots .[COLOR="Silver"]
This is the Amtrak station at Vancouver, Washington. It is an historic station built in the early 1900's and still very much in use. The mural was added several years ago I believe and I'm not sure who the artist is. There is a historical model train display depicting the station/train yard in the room just beyond the mural.

03-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #2192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
This is the Amtrak station at Vancouver, Washington. It is an historic station built in the early 1900's and still very much in use. The mural was added several years ago I believe and I'm not sure who the artist is. There is a historical model train display depicting the station/train yard in the room just beyond the mural.
It’s kind of elegant, isn’t it .
Thanks .

---------- Post added 03-05-21 at 10:25 PM ----------

One of my interests, few years ago , was finding out about the murals painted by artists in the depression .
( the government gave them money , and got great things in return ... )
One little article on it : Art and the Great Depression – SC Blog

Last edited by glinda; 03-05-2021 at 08:26 PM.
03-06-2021, 01:33 AM   #2193

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
More mistletoe!
In NC the "balls" don't seem to grow as dense or as round as near the Rhine; however they are near a river- the Catawba.

I did lighten the images in post, but I added the original as I kind of like it too.

*istDS with 28-300 Tamron.
someone once told me that mistletoe is a good index for showing that nature is under stress....so, "my" fat round things (in fact, there are plenty of "Autobahn" and a huge refinery not far away from where I took my pictures, in fact: the whole Rhine valley is full of cities/industry/transportattion, so ....
03-06-2021, 01:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2194

6 megapix *istDs

biking along a railroad track where some work is being done

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-06-2021, 01:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2195

6 megapix *istDs

metal containers (used normally as construction workers' dorms here in Germany) stacked
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-06-2021, 07:10 AM   #2196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Wonder if it is the same variety of mistletoe. Native to Europe and brought here or native here too, or ...
cool."

As they say: Good question! Here is what Wikipedia says:

"Mistletoe is the common name for obligate hemiparasitic plants in the order Santalales. They are attached to their host tree or shrub by a structure called the haustorium, through which they extract water and nutrients from the host plant. Their parasitic lifestyle has led to some dramatic changes in their metabolism.[1]

The name mistletoe originally referred to the species Viscum album (European mistletoe, of the family Santalaceae in the order Santalales); it is the only species native to the British Isles and much of Europe. A separate species, Viscum cruciatum, occurs in Southwest Spain and Southern Portugal, as well as in Morocco in North Africa and in southern Africa.[2] The genus Viscum is not native to North America, but Viscum album was introduced to Northern California in 1900.[3][4]

European mistletoe has smooth-edged, oval, evergreen leaves borne in pairs along the woody stem, and waxy, white berries that it bears in clusters of two to six. The Eastern mistletoe of North America is similar, but has shorter, broader leaves and longer clusters of 10 or more berries."
03-06-2021, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #2197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
"Wonder if it is the same variety of mistletoe. Native to Europe and brought here or native here too, or ...
cool."

As they say: Good question! Here is what Wikipedia says:

"Mistletoe is the common name for obligate hemiparasitic plants in the order Santalales. They are attached to their host tree or shrub by a structure called the haustorium, through which they extract water and nutrients from the host plant. Their parasitic lifestyle has led to some dramatic changes in their metabolism.[1]

The name mistletoe originally referred to the species Viscum album (European mistletoe, of the family Santalaceae in the order Santalales); it is the only species native to the British Isles and much of Europe. A separate species, Viscum cruciatum, occurs in Southwest Spain and Southern Portugal, as well as in Morocco in North Africa and in southern Africa.[2] The genus Viscum is not native to North America, but Viscum album was introduced to Northern California in 1900.[3][4]

European mistletoe has smooth-edged, oval, evergreen leaves borne in pairs along the woody stem, and waxy, white berries that it bears in clusters of two to six. The Eastern mistletoe of North America is similar, but has shorter, broader leaves and longer clusters of 10 or more berries."
Thank you .
Gotta see some up close sometime, not sure if I ever have .. just in movies maybe .

03-06-2021, 10:27 AM - 3 Likes   #2198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
...speaking of mistletoe - it's very common in the N. Texas area I used to live in. Tamron Adaptall-2 28/2.5 (02B) on K100D:
03-06-2021, 10:58 AM - 3 Likes   #2199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool shots!
@glinda: That simple B&W geometry is my favourite one.
@mikecnorthwest: Very nice interior shots! No problem with people present these days, I believe.

K100D, Sigma 28-300, 220mm, f/8

03-06-2021, 01:27 PM - 5 Likes   #2200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple from the *istDL2 and DA18-55 from several years ago.

03-06-2021, 03:51 PM - 5 Likes   #2201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K100D, Pentax M 28mm

Our Lady of Peace, Beaverton, Oregon.
Attached Images

03-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #2202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
...speaking of mistletoe - it's very common in the N. Texas area I used to live in. Tamron Adaptall-2 28/2.5 (02B) on K100D:
Seems like it grows too , near water, have you been to Big Sur ? The windswept trees , with a certain moss , hangs from them ,
03-07-2021, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2203

6 megapix *istDs

you want MISTLETOE, here this much for your appetite

what annoys/disturbs me more than mistletoe: those cabins that look like concentration camp watchtowers, distributed everywhere here in germany. Some will say: they're necessary to control wild pig colonies, since big predators have gone extinct.

so, here - again not far away from the Rhine river, at the heights of Karlsruhe town - a pic shot some days ago , again using the M 4/75~150
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-07-2021, 07:58 AM - 5 Likes   #2204

6 megapix *istDs

a detail of a sort-of-a-sunshade structure of a multiplex cinema in the German town of Karlsruhe

who needs more than 6 megapix anyway????
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #2205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldMElove Quote
you want MISTLETOE, here this much for your appetite

what annoys/disturbs me more than mistletoe: those cabins that look like concentration camp watchtowers, distributed everywhere here in germany. Some will say: they're necessary to control wild pig colonies, since big predators have gone extinct.

so, here - again not far away from the Rhine river, at the heights of Karlsruhe town - a pic shot some days ago , again using the M 4/75~150
Don’t stand under those mistletoe, with anyone else , but me .......