Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13125 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #3661
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Is this the K mount 55/1.8 or the Takumar? Either way I think they were the same optically, and beautiful lenses...
Itīs the K-mount, and yep, itīs beautiful!

10-14-2022, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #3662

Just found your very interesting club. I have become very intrigued by old CCD camera especially the ones with the original Kodak ccd sensor.
I got several old Kodak cameras, but also Olympus E- series models and it is astounding how similar the output is.
Especially the color rendition and the filmlike quality...
Even the Olympus Camedia series has several winners, especially the C-8080!
Now I heard about the Pentax *ist series with 6mp sensor and i am looking for one in great condition.
Which of those models can you recommend?
10-15-2022, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #3663

Ive got the ist ds. The quality is fine for me and I find the small size of the camera is good for walkabouts. Especially with a short zoom or an old 50mm prime lens. I would have no hesitation in printing beyond 10x8 or even 20x16. Its very 35mm ish to me.
10-15-2022, 09:46 AM - 3 Likes   #3664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Berndphoenix Quote
Which of those models can you recommend?
QuoteOriginally posted by adenough Quote
Ive got the ist ds.
Welcome!

I have the original *ist D and the later DS. Both fine little cameras! The D is a bit older and slower, but it has many controls on the body which I find easier to use. It does require the use of compact flash cards, which could be problematic for some. The DS uses regular SD cards which is more convenient. It also has a great feel in the hand, one of my favorites to hold and shoot with. It's a bit quicker in use than the D, but does require some menu-diving to access some of the controls. They both have very nice large and bright pentaprism viewfinders. The *ist DL and some others have a smaller, dimmer pentamirror VF. None of the *ist models have any kind of shake reduction. If that's a concern, maybe the K100D or -Super is for you - I like these models too. Hope to see some of your photos soon!

SMC-A24/2.8 on *ist D

10-15-2022, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #3665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
Now I heard about the Pentax *ist series with 6mp sensor and i am looking for one in great condition.Which of those models can you recommend?
The replies above are correct.

Only thing I'd add is, always check firmware on them: Every single one I've bought had been on original firmware, and restricted to small SD cards, so you'll need an old/small capacity SD card to update the firmware (My last one I used an old Nokia card).

Second thing is batteries: These old girls are super, super grumpy (more fussy than grumpy) I've bought two for 'parts' simply because people put batteries in them and they don't fire up. They work 100% perfectly fine. I use energizer rechargables, and they get me through my small shooting sessions just fine. It's wise have a spare set of batteries, and put a set in the night before you head out. Sometimes 5/10 minutes is enough to wake the pentax up from sleep, but no harm in putting them in earlier.

I would suggest using an AC adaptor to update firmware, I just use a universal one with changeable tips and adjustable voltage.

All of mine are in beautiful condition, my latest, the silver *ist DS, has two scratches on the flash cover: But it seems Pentax users take care of their gear. (We do seem an eccentric bunch right?)

Only wish I had for the 6mp brigade is Weather sealing, I don't believe any are. I've got a K10D and K20D for that.

Typical of technology: Most people look at them and say "oh they are old"... just because new models have come out, doesn't mean they've lost ability though!!! Would I take a 6mp to say an air show? I might. But if I'm swinging my 170-500mm around, I'm going to use my k70 with SR (in body shake reduction), faster frame per second speeds, far better resolution and focus speed etc etc.

Do I drag my k70 around the back yard? Nope, I use my 6mp stuff In fact, the 6mp stuff goes with me most the time.

And for wet weather, I use a K10/20 with my weather sealed lens.....

What a system pentax is.... Just wish I had that epic K3 III with current tech lenses... but to be honest, I just don't need that.
10-16-2022, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #3666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spot the Jet!

@Berndphoenix Welcome! I've had K100D for more than two years and never regretted buying it. Here it is in action, still with SMC 135/2.5 attached.
@paulh I spy two animals (sheep?) in your picture. Nice composition + soft colours.

10-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #3667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
Spot the Jet!
Found it Lovely soft colors from you as well!
Those are cattle in my photo, and sometimes I'll see a horse or goat up there too. No sheep afaik!

10-16-2022, 08:36 PM - 3 Likes   #3668

Six Megapixel club

Thank you for your tips and great photos!
Attached Images

10-17-2022, 04:22 PM - 4 Likes   #3669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jeannie heading down the trail...M75-150/4 on *ist D

10-21-2022, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #3670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sigma 17-70 DC Macro on K100D
10-22-2022, 06:31 AM - 4 Likes   #3671

*ist DL came

My *IST DL came yesterday, but neither regular AA nor Lithium AA work good enough to take pictures. Any advice which batteries are good?

This picture was made with Nikon D1x 5MP Kodak sensor:
Attached Images

10-22-2022, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #3672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My *IST DL came yesterday, but neither regular AA nor Lithium AA work good enough to take pictures. Any advice which batteries are good?
Regular AA's don't work well in my *ist models, but lithiums should. Leave the lithiums in the camera for a few days and try again. I always recommend Eneloops, Ray-o-vac or Duracell rechargeables for these models. I have a set that's been going for almost 10 years Good luck.
10-23-2022, 05:32 AM   #3673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Originally posted by Berndphoenix
My *IST DL came yesterday, but neither regular AA nor Lithium AA work good enough to take pictures. Any advice which batteries are good?"

I'll second Eneloops.
10-23-2022, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #3674
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
And more from the swamps, *istD again with 55mm f/1,8 wide open, naturally

looks like Finland !
10-24-2022, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3675
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Industar 50-2 on *ist D