Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2017, 06:23 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Book built around Pentax

US Ricoh Imaging ambassador Chris Knight has a great instructional text out called The Dramatic Portrait: The Art of Crafting Light and Shadow.

The 645Z is used for pretty much everything.

I won't link to it, that would become a plug, so Google/Amazon Kindle if you like.

Attached Images

Last edited by clackers; 06-12-2017 at 06:31 PM.
06-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
US Ricoh Imaging ambassador Chris Knight has a great instructional text out called The Dramatic Portrait: The Art of Crafting Light and Shadow.

The 645Z is used for pretty much everything.

I won't link to it, that would become a plug, so Google/Amazon Kindle if you like.
If you think it's worthwhile, you're welcome to post a link

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2017, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'm scared to look because it may make me want to buy a 645Z even more. I have that 645 starter kit in my wishlist at B&H already. I know it's more than my skill level can use and probably not the best system for wildlife photography but I just want it so much.
06-12-2017, 06:48 PM - 6 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lucky for all of us, the 645Z is not necessary, it's just the superb tool Chris uses to illustrate his principles for all of us taking portraits. His stylistic influences include classical painting.

With Adam's permission:

https://www.amazon.com/Dramatic-Portrait-Crafting-Light-Shadow/dp/1681982145...ntaxforums-20&

Looks like the paperback isn't out yet, I read mine on Kindle. Those who don't own one or a phone, the Chrome browser works perfectly well at read.amazon.com if you purchase the electronic version.

If you're a member and can read this, Chris, do post here every now again.

Can't promise you won't get some clowns saying, "But where is the 4k image stabilized video? When is a 24mm prime coming out for my K-50? There's no EVF being used, I think your pictures suck" and "I take great photos of park benches, why am I not an Ambassador?" etc but hey, that's the Internet, right?

Last edited by clackers; 06-12-2017 at 09:58 PM.
06-12-2017, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Lucky for all of us, the 645Z is not necessary, it's just the superb tool Chris uses to illustrate his principles for all of us taking portraits.
Ah, you say that, but... we all know we'll need one to fully recreate the results...
06-13-2017, 03:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I'm scared to look because it may make me want to buy a 645Z even more.
Sandy Hancock was talking about getting rid of his. Ask him about it, if he's still got it, when he gets back from Europe.
06-13-2017, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing! Funny the kindle edition costs more than the paperback.

06-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Thanks for sharing! Funny the kindle edition costs more than the paperback.
Yeah, I'm sure that's a condition of the publisher. They'll say to Amazon, we'll let you have this title, if we make as much money as we do on the print edition, or no deal.

Then Amazon have to put their costs and profit on top of that.
06-13-2017, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

From what I see, the Kindle Edition is slightly cheaper.

I wonder how much goes to the author(s) and how much to Amazon - the "production" cost is small (one off, then digital copying), as is the "storage" cost.
06-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
From what I see, the Kindle Edition is slightly cheaper.

I wonder how much goes to the author(s) and how much to Amazon - the "production" cost is small (one off, then digital copying), as is the "storage" cost.
I can see prices of some titles even vary in Australia vs the States, because of local rights holders.

Remember, Amazon is neither the author or the publisher, they're a retailer.

The publisher will price the digital copy knowing that it has to compensate for a drop in physical sales - which complicates the economics of printing a batch of real books. I've seen Kindle copies of college textbooks at $100, which is of course unrelated to the digital format.
06-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes, and as a retailer of electronic documents I would like to give them $1 per copy at most.
Considering that it's more similar to renting - Amazon can, in theory, deny you the access to your Kindle library - and not buying a physical product you can control.
06-14-2017, 02:47 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, and as a retailer of electronic documents I would like to give them $1 per copy at most.
Considering that it's more similar to renting - Amazon can, in theory, deny you the access to your Kindle library - and not buying a physical product you can control.
They would respond by saying that Apple charge 30 percent for anything - apps, books or music - hosted on their store.
06-14-2017, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

And I would respond by saying that I don't have a single Apple product - guess why
07-15-2017, 06:12 AM - 7 Likes   #14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for posting this I hope that if you've read it, you've enjoyed it at least a little. Just to tack on a few points and answer a few questions (I know this thread is about a month old - please forgive me)

-The book was just released in print on July 13th. It's also available as an e-book in all formats. Amazon has the Kindle and Rockynook.com has everything else.

-For the launch, I worked with RGG Edu to make a video tutorial that goes along with the book (lots of Pentax love in that). They did a brilliant job putting it together and I'm very proud of what we did together. I won't link to it per the first post (and I'll remove this part if it violates the rules at all).

-I absolutely agree with the above posts: the camera doesn't make the work. At the end of the day it's a tool (a tool that I love), but a medium format camera isn't needed to make images that you love. I'm a big believer in concept and purpose, then using your tools (whatever they are) to further the goal. Gear is often a luxury, not a necessity. We just need to find what we're comfortable with and what works the best for us. That said, the flexibility of the 645Z files 'floods my basement' if you know what I mean.

-In regards to the e-book vs. paperback pricing, it can fluctuate based on Amazon (they get to set their prices independent of the publisher). In the early release days, the e-book was listed higher for some reason (it didn't make sense to me either), but I think it's sorted out now.

-As far as my cut - it's relatively small in regards to the cost to be honest. You don't really write a book to get rich. I think if I tallied the amount of hours I put into it with what I'll probably make, it's below minimum wage. BUT I had always wanted to write a book, and it was more for me than the money. I was lucky that I had an editor who let me largely have final say on how everything turned out, so this book is the one I wanted to make.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to get back to them as soon as I can.
07-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisknightphoto Quote
Hey everyone,

Thanks for posting this I hope that if you've read it, you've enjoyed it at least a little. Just to tack on a few points and answer a few questions (I know this thread is about a month old - please forgive me)

-The book was just released in print on July 13th. It's also available as an e-book in all formats. Amazon has the Kindle and Rockynook.com has everything else.

Thank you for bringing us up to date AND, most of all, for producing such a lovely book.