Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I remember reading somewhere years ago, that if you dropped your camera in the ocean, the first thing to do was to rinse it immediately in fresh water. Then, head for the repair shop.

As noted above in this thread, pure water is pretty much a non-conductor, and if electronic gear gets wet, it will often survive if dried fully before being turned on again.
Generally this is OK, but with the camera it might be a little tricky due to 1) the mechanical parts involved and 2) the optical surfaces.

I have a friend whose camera (a Nikon D200) fell in a river; the camera didn't work afterward, but after sitting and drying out for a couple years (she had already bought a new one), it worked again. But she didn't really do anything with it at that point, so I'm not sure how clean the viewfinder/sensor/mirror was.

06-15-2017, 12:45 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't try this at home folks!
06-15-2017, 04:38 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I've actually seen both. The Distilled water experiment was to prove that the mineral content is what makes water an electrical conductor ...
Oh, most definitely true! The problem is that if even if you start with pure water, once your equipment is in it it won't stay pure.

Personally I am not quite that hard-core--I do have liquid cooling on my CPU and GPU but they are commercial all-in-one loop units.
06-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Don't try this at home folks!
Now you tell me!?

06-17-2017, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And in the other thread I said I would've invited a Nikon guy to wash his camera with me. But this guy is living it! This should be used as a Pentax advertisement. Almost saying that a consumer Pentax camera has a very good sealing protection. As good as the 7D and the D5. Pentax should include a label like clothes, use cool water and air dry.LOL