Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I find that steel wool and a high-power pressure washer works quite well for cleaning sensors...
Indeed...although a bath of hydrofluoric acid would ensure not a speck of anything will remain...and no pesky scrubbing.

06-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
While circuit boards are bathed in water as part of the mfg. process, I don't think tap water is used. The mineral content and subsequent residue after drying would be very problematic. Distilled water, maybe -- I've seen computers fully operating with their motherboard immersed in a tank of distilled water by extreme overclockers.
I think that's more likely mineral oil than water being used as an immersive coolant.
06-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I think that's more likely mineral oil than water being used as an immersive coolant.

I've actually seen both. The Distilled water experiment was to prove that the mineral content is what makes water an electrical conductor ...

06-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While this is a joke, years ago my brother had a burglary in his home and the suspects poured liquid all over his key board of his laptop. The insurance company sent it out somewhere for repair and they bathed the whole thing in distilled water, cleaned it all up like new. It worked just fine afterward.

06-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #20
k22
Site Supporter

Drying on the vent is too slow. Hair dryer would be better.
06-14-2017, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #21

I've always used a sandblaster to erase photos on my SD card, maybe I will give this a try.
06-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Distilled water experiment was to prove that the mineral content is what makes water an electrical conductor ...
Sorry I couldn't just take your word for it, but you are right. However, I would like to point out that even a saltwater bath has nothing on silver or other metals in a soldered connection for conductivity, so unless you apply so much current that either the circuit board or one of the connections melts, electricity should follow the path of least resistance and stay inside the electrical and electronic components.

06-14-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

If it's safe for cleaning oil from fluffy little duckies, it's got to be safe for sensors. Don't immerse the camera -- just blast the sensor with a 90/10 mixture of water/detergent with your rocket blower
The camera was fine - but now all the ducks sink.
06-14-2017, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow. Too bad he doesn't have a washing machine and dryer. So much easier and you can just throw it in with the laundry. To save time, I usually throw in all my cameras and lenses in at the same time. Needless to say, this works best with non-WR equipment as all that sealing prevents the inside of the lens and cameras to get cleaned properly.
06-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Wow. Too bad he doesn't have a washing machine and dryer. So much easier and you can just throw it in with the laundry. To save time, I usually throw in all my cameras and lenses in at the same time. Needless to say, this works best with non-WR equipment as all that sealing prevents the inside of the lens and cameras to get cleaned properly.
A nice run through the dryer would help finish it out and make sure all the bits are fully aligned. I suggest putting the camera inot an athletic sock or briefs to prevent little dings as it bounces around. Avoid a fabric softener sheet, though, as it tends to muck up the mirror.
06-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was painful to watch. Good thing he did not pour in some sand first!
06-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember reading somewhere years ago, that if you dropped your camera in the ocean, the first thing to do was to rinse it immediately in fresh water. Then, head for the repair shop.

As noted above in this thread, pure water is pretty much a non-conductor, and if electronic gear gets wet, it will often survive if dried fully before being turned on again.
06-14-2017, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

So many good camera cleaning ideas in this thread.

I hope someone from Ricoh is reading this. We need, at a minimum, water hose connectors and a drainage plug in the next Pentax camera body, please Ricoh. And a built-in detergent reservoir.
06-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
While this is a joke, years ago my brother had a burglary in his home and the suspects poured liquid all over his key board of his laptop. The insurance company sent it out somewhere for repair and they bathed the whole thing in distilled water, cleaned it all up like new. It worked just fine afterward.
I do repairs on Band / DJ / PA equipment, the liquids of choice that people spill into this gear are beer, bourbon & coke and coffee. In all 3 cases the best cleaning solution ( and I've tried them all) is a warm soap and water solution, and scrubbed with a soft brush, but this is followed by some form of low viscosity electronic cleaning solvent (PCB cleaner) to flush out the water from under IC's and other places where the water may get trapped, and then dried at an elevated temperature
06-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Wow, that is one clean camera