Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

WARNING: This WILL shock you.

Sorry for the click bait like title, but I couldn't watch this without a chill in my spine.

Anyone able to translate?

06-14-2017, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Haahhahhaah! 😁😁😁
06-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Must be a Canon user who got mad at the earlier one.
06-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fools rush in where @Heie fears to tread.

06-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

Thoughts in sparse order:
The # number is the same, so no two bodies have been used.
Maybe he shot the "after" before the "before".
Maybe he did it in the order as shown so maybe he's crazy.
Maybe the camera does indeed turn on but can't take pictures anymore.
Still, I'm surprised the thing turns on at all.
06-14-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax strong!
06-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
WARNING: This WILL shock you.
I was looking for the 1000 elephants (CMOT lives)

Anyway, it's weather-resistant - what's the problem ?

06-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

@Rupert;
Looks like someone followed your advice...
06-14-2017, 07:48 AM - 6 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Sorry for the click bait like title, but I couldn't watch this without a chill in my spine.

Anyone able to translate?

Pentax Sensor Cleaning - YouTube
Russians, what can I say?

The title of the video is "Bad advice for photographers" Advice number 1 - how to clean the sensor.

I will tell you how to clean the sensor. According to many experts the best place to clean the sensor is the washroom, so let's go to the washroom and start cleaning the sensor! The first issue is where to put the soap. I decided to put it straight on the sensor and spread it around to remove not only the dust, but also any grease spots that are on the sensor. With mirror down, you can use the same swab to clean the mirror from any traces of dust and grease. And now I want to warn you about the most common error committed during sensor cleaning - many people just turn on the faucet and poor the water inside the camera. That is not correct. The correct way is to turn on your shower, point the camera bayonet down, and use the shower head to rinse out the soap from the inside. If you wash your camera pointing the bayonet upward, water may get to all the electronic components and your camera might not work afterwards. If, however, you point it down, the soap will be rinsed out and your camera will be fine. The main mistake made by people who clean the sensor for the first time is that they rinse the camera under the faucet, or that they just dump it in a bucket of water, like their grandmother would have done in the olden days. Although I do believe that it won't hurt to rinse the camera in a bucket of warm water. I can tell you that the water became dirty, which means the camera was dirty.

Now the most important part - how to dry the camera. Drying is very simple - you just put your camera bayonet down on the vent. I will leave it there till tomorrow. The camera is dry, now let's put in some batteries and here comes the moment of truth - will it work? Wow! The green light is telling us that the camera is working. Well, everything went well and now clean, crisp, bright, and sharp images await us, without any trace of dust!
06-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, as long as the batteries are out for the whole time it is wet, and it is thoroughly dry before power is reapplied, it could easily escape damage. However, you would also need to remove the backup battery, if that gets wet it will short itself and be toast.

You might not know, but the final stage when making circuit boards in a factory is a wash in water followed by a thorough drying of course...water does no harm in and of itself, only if it causes a short circuit, which requires power, or stays there long enough to cause corrosion.
06-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks IgorZ for providing accurate translation. From myself I can add that narration was done in very calm and emotionless way. And vocabulary is right: not too professional but not too frivolous either. Good prank.
06-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the video! )
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Actually, as long as the batteries are out for the whole time it is wet, and it is thoroughly dry before power is reapplied, it could easily escape damage.
--true, my USB drivers survived several washing and drying in the pocket, and they still work fine. maybe next time I will wash my camera and lenses in the washer and then dry them in the dryer.
Don't forget the camera has another better inside that keep the chip memory, remove it before washing

One bad thing: here in Texas the water is pretty hard. I will have to rinse the camera and lenses in distilled water before drying, and it cost me $2!!
06-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Actually, as long as the batteries are out for the whole time it is wet, and it is thoroughly dry before power is reapplied, it could easily escape damage. However, you would also need to remove the backup battery, if that gets wet it will short itself and be toast.

You might not know, but the final stage when making circuit boards in a factory is a wash in water followed by a thorough drying of course...water does no harm in and of itself, only if it causes a short circuit, which requires power, or stays there long enough to cause corrosion.
Not disputing that, but circuit boards don't have many enclosed spaces so they can dry quickly. Submerging an assembled product in pure water could require an extensive disassembly. Water can get into places via capillary action, and the lack of airflow will take forever to dry.

Between the sensor and IR block filter. In the space around the prism sealed by the focusing screen and viewfinder. Between the rear screen and exterior weather sealing. Where the shutter blades overlap.
06-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

While circuit boards are bathed in water as part of the mfg. process, I don't think tap water is used. The mineral content and subsequent residue after drying would be very problematic. Distilled water, maybe -- I've seen computers fully operating with their motherboard immersed in a tank of distilled water by extreme overclockers.

If one were to do this, I'd suggest distilled water and Dawn dish-washing detergent. If it's safe for cleaning oil from fluffy little duckies, it's got to be safe for sensors. Don't immerse the camera -- just blast the sensor with a 90/10 mixture of water/detergent with your rocket blower.

Statement required by my lawyers:

The above is a joke. Do not try this unless you really hate your camera. The poster is not liable for any damage (actrual or punitive) resulting form someone actually trying this.
06-14-2017, 09:48 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I find that steel wool and a high-power pressure washer works quite well for cleaning sensors...