Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

Recommendations for upgrade from K-30 (K-S2, K-70, KP or wait)

My K-30 started showing the beginnings of standard for them Aperture Disease. So far it is working, but I am already looking for next camera.
I am usually taking photos: travel, astro, macro. No (or almost no) portraits, limited of cities and similar places. However, sometimes I get to take photos in darker places (like caves).
So, my wishes/requirements: moving LCD, and moving in quite extreme angles; good work with ISO, but not "eating" stars, preferably built-in flash, as I already have OGPS-1 unit and sometimes it is useful to have flash in travels (I use it too rarely to buy a separate unit).
At the moment my choices are K-S2, K-70, KP or wait for next model release. K-S2 supports lower temp than other two models, KP does not have swivel screen (at least from what I read) and is 400$ more expensive - but supports higher ISO; K-70 - does it have the same aperture issue as K-30?

Any recommendations and ideas are welcome, maybe I missed something?

Last edited by Evie; 06-15-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: fixing KS-2 to K-S2
06-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a white K-s2 in the Marketplace yesterday, wish I could race you to it! I'm a big fan of the short-lived 20Mpx chip in the K-s series.
06-15-2017, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went from a K-30 to a K-S2 (to accompany my K-3). It has the features you want, including flippy screen and built-in flash, and the 20mp sensor is very good. It's also lightweight and compact and uses the same batteries as the K-30. The flippy screen is great for low to the ground shots.

But I see from your profile that you have a Bigma. I prefer to use my K-3 with my longer/heavier lenses, because it balances better and focuses much better. I also like the built-in flash on the K-3 because (unlike those on the K-30 or K-S2) it works very well with the Rogue Safari flash extender. I think the K-70 flash is similar to that on the K-S2. The K-P flash is only GN6, about half the output of the others.

There have been very few reports of aperture problems with the K-S2 or K-70 AFAIK.

The K-70 and K-S2 have a flippy screen. The K-P has a tilting screen. What the next flagship model will have is anyone's guess, but it will surely have one or the other.

Personally I think that although the K-P is quite advanced, it is still rather high-priced, and the K-S2 or K-70 are better value for money. Or a second hand (or new old stock) K-3, which is the best value of all IMO, provided you can live without an articulating screen.

For a more detailed feature comparison of the three models you mention, see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+KP&c2...c3=Pentax+K-S2

There is endless discussion on these forums about differences in image quality between these models, but honestly I think a lot of it is hair-splitting.

Last edited by Des; 06-15-2017 at 04:37 PM.
06-15-2017, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Evie Quote
My K-30 started showing the beginnings of standard for them Aperture Disease. So far it is working, but I am already looking for next camera.
I am usually taking photos: travel, astro, macro. No (or almost no) portraits, limited of cities and similar places. However, sometimes I get to take photos in darker places (like caves).
So, my wishes/requirements: moving LCD, and moving in quite extreme angles; good work with ISO, but not "eating" stars, preferably built-in flash, as I already have OGPS-1 unit and sometimes it is useful to have flash in travels (I use it too rarely to buy a separate unit).
At the moment my choices are K-S2, K-70, KP or wait for next model release. K-S2 supports lower temp than other two models, KP does not have swivel screen (at least from what I read) and is 400$ more expensive - but supports higher ISO; K-70 - does it have the same aperture issue as K-30?

Any recommendations and ideas are welcome, maybe I missed something?
The K-70 is a pretty big upgrade over the K-S2. AFAIK its shutter is not affected. While the KP has higher ISOs, the sensor and processing is the same as in the K-70, so you can expect very comparable image quality. The KP is the way to go if you want the better build quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2017, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I switched from the K-30 to the K-70 back in December of last year and don't regret it for one second. The swivel screen is a big bonus for when you need it but to be honest when I use my camera the screen is usually turned inwards as I tend to get my info via the view-finder while composing the shot. As I am left-eye dominant it helps to prevent nose smudges on the screen too! I also prefer the grip and button layout on the K-70 and now use back-button focusing exclusively as the focus button is so easy to reach compared to the K-30.

Regarding the aperture block issue, as far as I am aware the K-70 does not have the failure problem of the K-30/K-50 series cameras (possibly a different part/system in use).

One additional bonus if you are into long lenses is the availability of the new 55-300 PZM lens on the newer bodies. I had the old, non-WR, version (now passed on to my daughter for use on her K-50) for a couple of years and recently acquired one of the new PZM versions and the difference is staggering, much sharper images and lightning fast focusing at any distance.

Hope that helps.
06-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you, looks like K-70 sounds better and better. So far will wait a bit, as I had another big purchase recently and cannot buy at the moment, but will read more about it.
06-15-2017, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from my K30 to the KS2. It took a long while to get comfortable with the feel after theK30 feeling so natural Matter of fact I almost got rid of it. I decided to give it some more time. It would now be a toss up between the two bodies if the K30 had not fallen off the tripod . I love the articulating screen. My knees have been giving me trouble and with the KS2's screen I can go live view and lower or raise the camera down to the height I need and not have to climb or get down on my poor knees. With the K30 I was always having tweak the colors to get them where they needed to be. The KS2's colors have not been adjusted at all since I purchased it..

Which ever camera you decide on, be willing to give the feel in hand a chance to be gotten used to

06-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I went from my K30 to the KS2. It took a long while to get comfortable with the feel after theK30 feeling so natural Matter of fact I almost got rid of it. I decided to give it some more time. It would now be a toss up between the two bodies if the K30 had not fallen off the tripod . I love the articulating screen. My knees have been giving me trouble and with the KS2's screen I can go live view and lower or raise the camera down to the height I need and not have to climb or get down on my poor knees. With the K30 I was always having tweak the colors to get them where they needed to be. The KS2's colors have not been adjusted at all since I purchased it..

Which ever camera you decide on, be willing to give the feel in hand a chance to be gotten used to
Thank you. At the moment I am using sticky mirror to view through livescreen in angle (even if I am not old, I have no wish to try and lay on my stomach in dust, when I have to return to work in half an hour, and to do that in a dress no less...), so articulating screen would be lovely.

I have bought all my and moms cameras via internet,without touching them, and so far I am quite friendly with all I used more. I miss the handshake button from K-200D, but it is not a big problem. So I believe I will have no problem with the one I will chose as well, especially if it will be K-70 (anyway, a new K70 is only around 100USD more expensive than K-S2, this is also gives more reasons to look into it).
06-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have bought all my and moms cameras via internet,without touching them, and so far I am quite friendly with all I used more. I miss the handshake button from K-200D, but it is not a big problem. So I believe I will have no problem with the one I will chose as well, especially if it will be K-70 (anyway, a new K70 is only around 100USD more expensive than K-S2, this is also gives more reasons to look into it).
This will point you further in that direction: Comparison: Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-S2 - Which one to get

The K-S2 has a different feel to the K-30. In particular the grip is noticeably smaller. I much preferred the grip on the K-30, but my partner likes the K-S2 as it fits her hand better. I suspect the K-70 will be more familiar for you.
06-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given your requirements K-70 checks all the boxes.
06-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Given your requirements K-70 checks all the boxes.
Most of the boxes, as KP has way higher ISO and (suspectedly) better focusing. Why not try waiting for new model?

I am just trying to look from all sides
06-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not try waiting for new model?
If you mean the next flagship model (replacing the K-3ii), it will be a lot more expensive than the K-70 or the K-P. Maybe halfway between the current price of the K-P and the K-1. But then again, it should have the solidity and features of the K-3 series, all the advances in the K-P, trickle-down features from the K-1, and then some. It will be a different class of camera from the K-30/K-S2/K-70.
06-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-70 and KP sensor performance are very very close by all accounts. The higher maximum ISO on the KP is a bit of a red herring as it is not practically usable.

KP will have better focusing for sure. But as you didn't mention sports or wildlife shooting then K-70 may be enough of a bump in the AF department. It is SAFOX 10 vs 9 in the K-30. Not cutting edge or a big bump admittedly, but workmanlike AF performance.

Bang for buck wise, K-70 seems like the best proposition. But if you have more budget then no doubt the KP is very attractive (as will be the K-3iii). I'd love to have a KP myself
06-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The K-S2 has a different feel to the K-30. In particular the grip is noticeably smaller. I much preferred the grip on the K-30, but my partner likes the K-S2 as it fits her hand better. I suspect the K-70 will be more familiar for you.
I considered the K-70 I got the K-S2 when I ran across a really good deal. In the pictures the 2 cameras appear to look like they share the same grip. I wonder if they do. That was what I missed when I moved to the K-S2 Do you know if the grip is the same ?
The K-30felt like it was a part of my hand. The K-S2 felt like was about to drop it all the time. Till I took the neck strap off and put on a Joby wrist strap. Now it feels more secure. But if the K-70 was more like the K-30 I would be tempted to trade up to it. I am very happy with everything else about the K-S2 and since the strap change I have gotten used to the feel of it in my hand.
06-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I considered the K-70 I got the K-S2 when I ran across a really good deal. In the pictures the 2 cameras appear to look like they share the same grip. I wonder if they do. That was what I missed when I moved to the K-S2 Do you know if the grip is the same ?
I think the grip on the K-70 is a little bigger, but I can't say from personal experience. I'm going on user reports that it is more like the K-30 than like the K-S2.

I've also got more used to the K-S2 and the small size of the camera is handy. For my part, even if the grip on the K-70 is better, I'm not sure that there is enough difference in the feature set to make it worth upgrading. But of course that would depend on how much an upgrade would cost. I got the K-S2 at a great price on sale late last year, and there haven't been similar deals on the K-70 in Australia. YMMV.

Personally I find the K-3 to be the most comfortable camera to hold and use of any that I have had.

Last edited by Des; 06-15-2017 at 11:39 PM.