Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psykon99 Quote
Good to hear. I'm a little nervous about the transition. I do enjoy my Canon products, but I'm appalled by the value per dollar comparisons. It's just too expensive to be a Canon shooter. With Pentax, I'll get a better viewfinder, a weather sealed body, and every lens I put on the camera will be stabilized - and it all costs less to boot! There may be some give and take with image quality under various conditions, and there's the question of low light AF, but overall, I think Pentax is the better value.
That's my conclusion too about Canon and Nikon. They use their dominant market position to charge more. The Pentax system is actually the one that offers a nice balance between performance and price. Even Sony and Olympus are more expensives, but at least they do offer in-body IS. If IS is important to you, you have to rule out Nikon (not enough VR lenses, especially on some key lenses like the 17-55/2.8).

Having Pentax gear also means you can get their top-of-the-line bodies and lenses and not having to remortgage your house.

The only thing they have to fix is the low-light AF, the (un)tracking AF and the fps. That's the weakness they have to address in future DSLR. Liveview has to be improved too with contrast AF.

12-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's my conclusion too about Canon and Nikon. They use their dominant market position to charge more.
The opposite side of that is there is such a large user base that you can get stuff used for a decent price...e.g., a Nikon 80-200/2.8 is fairly cheap (roughly $600 IIRC)....a Nikon 85/1.4 is roughly $800 used, etc.
12-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wedding shots

I am curious about one question with regard to weddings. BTW, I agree that the K20D can do it all.

So here it is: Will there always be two buddies, one for still photography, one for video footage? Or will this change, with things like the excellent video feature of the Canon 5Dmk2 (which allows intermediate still photos)?
12-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The two folks I'm thinking of who switched are experienced enough to know this though, so I'm a bit puzzled at their switch if you can AF in near pitch darkness w/ a Pentax flash mounted...
I do not want to chime in as Canon system is quite capable of delivering what is needed.

But the merit of Pentax is in their small prime lens, in body shake reduction (IS in Canon) and backward compatibility to lenses made 1/2 century ago.

I can confirm that you can AF in complete darkness provided your subject is no more than 5 ft away (either with on board or ext flash).

Daniel

12-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The opposite side of that is there is such a large user base that you can get stuff used for a decent price...e.g., a Nikon 80-200/2.8 is fairly cheap (roughly $600 IIRC)....a Nikon 85/1.4 is roughly $800 used, etc.
A Pentax 77mm/1.8 is $669 NEW....

Your meaning of "fairly cheap" doesn't really fit for me...
12-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
A Pentax 77mm/1.8 is $669 NEW....
Their 85/1.8 is around $400 IIRC (much less than the /1.4). The 1.4 has much better bokeh.

BTW, I just bought the 77/1.8 for less than what you mentioned thanks to MS and ebay
12-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I'm a little late to the thread, sorry. Read through it and then went back to your original post. Here are my suggestions.

Once you feel comfortable with the idea of Pentax gear, buy a K200D and a good lens or two. Your learning curve with that setup will be VERY steep. The K200 has all manner of Picture modes and a competent selection of 'SCENE' modes that will set the camera up FOR YOU based on your given situation. Very nice features to have available when you're using new gear. When you're ready, you'll get all the customizable features & settings you will need.

Once you've worked with the gear for a while, you'll know if you want to sink a ton of money into it or keep your Canon gear. With the deals available on the K200 right now, your investment will be relatively small and you'll get most (if not all) of your money back if you sell. Even if you do decide to keep the Canon gear, you may want to also keep the Pentax setup for your forest excursions. That weather sealed combo will serve you VERY well in those conditions, and you won't have to risk the gear you use for generating income.

That's a best of both worlds approach. I don't envy you having to make a change-over, but once done you've got to be fully committed.
12-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
However, it's news to me that Nikon lenses fit the Leica rangefinder. Are you sure about this?

Richard
I believe the first ones did, before they came out with their own Contax-mount rangefinder line. Ironic enough, but the first Canon cameras were introduced with Nippon Kogaku lenses, in Leica thread mount, as I recall.

12-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #39

Original Poster
So I have to admit, I'm having second thoughts. I played around with the K20D in the store for about an hour yesterday, using multiple lenses.

Overall I like the system, but I have two concerns: I definately did notice a difference in the autofocus speed. I used a non-USM lens on a Canon 50D (same autofocus as my 40D) and a couple Pentax lenses with whatever their high speed focus system is and the Canon system was still faster - even without a sonic speed setup. I found myself ready to pull the trigger on my shots but not able to at the normal time becuase I had to wait just a bit more for the autofocus to catch up to me.

The second concern is ergonomics. I know that sounds weird because everyone says they like the K20D's ergonomics, but I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm just used to the 40D. I have big hands. With the grip on the K20 is certainly comfortable, but I do like to use my cams with the grip off just as often. With it off, my hand is far bigger than the space alotted on the K20D. My pinky just has no place to go. Felt like I was holding my XTi, but it was heavier. Also, with the grip on, there's no AF button when shooting vertical (other than the shutter). On Canon I can tell the * key to be the focus button.

So, I decided to wait and think about it a bit. I'm not sure I would want to goto two systems, but I'm unsure about the Pentax setup for these two reasons. I'm sold on the value, but I'm not sure I can get past those two points. Ergonomics I'd probably get used to, but what about AF?
12-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Hi, I thought i'd offer my impressions, as ive just picked up a k20 after using canon gear for 20 years.

Reasons i like the change

1) lighter gear 50-135 is easier to use than 70-200 2.8, this is certainly my goto lens currently.

2) ergonomics are fine.

3) images are great.

However, Af is a dog no question, my 10d is quicker and thats 4/5 years old.
The af speed makes it feel less responsive, certainly at close range and low light. Medium range and good light , continuous focus is just as good as canon i think , given the slow frame rate, but 3fps is fine.

In body Stabilisation, its good that this makes it available on all lenses especially primes, but in lens is definately better from the point of view that u can see the effect thru the viewfinder, this give u more confidence the shot is good.

The size of the camera is just a little to small i find myself clutching the corner more to hold it, maybe it all those years of canon built into my hand.

I like the camera, howvere i think if canon/nikon get there act together and produce a 50-135 2.8 is, i'll be picking one of those up.
12-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

You should move to the K20D because you'll be able to get images like this with a $30, 35-year-old lens. Image stabilized.

12-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #42

Man, I feel like I am spamming this forum, but at the same time I am glad there are so many people in the same boat as I am. I am moving from the 40D to a K20. The main reason is financial as others have stated, I just couldn't access the lens line up I wanted with Canon and maintain image stabilization, which is extremely important to me. Additionally, I am very happy to have the better weather sealing in the K20 and hope they begin producing some lower end sealed lenses in the near future. AF, FPS, etc are slower, but I have not seemed to have any problems with that (although I have only used the K20 in limited instances as I just ordered one for me today). I guess I should say that I didn't see as dramatic an improvement in "kept shots" as a result of the Canon's speed as I would have thought. I did notice an increase in OOF shots when moving from Pentax to Canon though...but maybe it was just me, and not the camera....
12-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #43
Inactive Account

I wonder if some of the focus speed issues could be partially "solved" by techniques discussed in the thread "https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/43995-who-uses-auto-focus-button.html"

I would never turn down faster AF from Pentax though!

Jeremy