Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
SouthShoreRob

AF gone haywire - ugh -

First some history. I always felt my K10D had a slight back focus, and indeed it did. This was rectified in the spring with a warranty-covered trip back to Pentax. Using that PhotoMe application, I could see that the "revision number" or whatever was updated and the camera was noticeably superior in all AF conditions.

Fast forward to a week ago Saturday. Out at the rugby pitch I turn on the K10D and have no AF! The camera is cycling out and back out and back. Change lenses, same result. Aargh. The next day at the car show it works fine for first half hour. Second half hour...nada...same as before out and back.

My local camera guru recommends I try recharging batteries. So I do. Took camera out to hockey training Wednesday and it works fine. Tell wife looks like we're in the clear. Break out the macro lens for a little fun this afternoon and (like during the car show) after first half hour the AF goes haywire again.

SHEESH I AM NOT HAPPY CAMPER RIGHT NOW

Anyone else have similar issues? Anyone share some insight?

Thanks,

Rob

08-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
First some history. I always felt my K10D had a slight back focus, and indeed it did. This was rectified in the spring with a warranty-covered trip back to Pentax. Using that PhotoMe application, I could see that the "revision number" or whatever was updated and the camera was noticeably superior in all AF conditions.

Fast forward to a week ago Saturday. Out at the rugby pitch I turn on the K10D and have no AF! The camera is cycling out and back out and back. Change lenses, same result. Aargh. The next day at the car show it works fine for first half hour. Second half hour...nada...same as before out and back.

My local camera guru recommends I try recharging batteries. So I do. Took camera out to hockey training Wednesday and it works fine. Tell wife looks like we're in the clear. Break out the macro lens for a little fun this afternoon and (like during the car show) after first half hour the AF goes haywire again.

SHEESH I AM NOT HAPPY CAMPER RIGHT NOW

Anyone else have similar issues? Anyone share some insight?

Thanks,

Rob
I had similar troubles that I traced to dirty lens contacts in the camera. Don't forget to clean the two inside the lens mount if you have SDM lenses. My troubles first showed up on the DA* 50-135. It simply refused to focus. I dismounted and remounted a couple of times, and it went back to work, so I cleaned up the contacts, and all is well now.
08-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
SouthShoreRob

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a look tomorrow. Problem is, it's now happened with every lens I own. Seems to have something to do with reviewing photos as well - not sure of the conection, but it's there.
08-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Albert might have hit the nail on the head there Rob, occasionally when those contacts get dirty the menu functions act up.
And if I remember correctly the review did as well.

Good luck with it.

08-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
SouthShoreRob

Can someone take their lens off for a second and check out these seven tiny modules (as seen here at dpreview.com)

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10D/Images/lensmount02.jpg

and tell me if they are all raised, or if one of the is sunk slightly?

I wiped around my housing five times with the dust cloth and couldn't find anything deliberately out of place, or sticky, or whatever, but I did notice my third or fourth module is recessed compared to the others.

Thanks,

Rob
08-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

One is sunk slightly
08-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
SouthShoreRob

thanks much

08-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will confirm that the third from the left is sunk in on my K10.
08-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
SouthShoreRob

thanks - again - so far so good, maybe there was something microscopic interfering with one of those nodes; a little more time will tell.
08-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Microscopic it is, you will probably never see it. Metal to metal connections have to be cleaned every once in a while, especially different types of metal. A little oxidation takes place and a film you can't see covers it enough to change the resistance and the very small current and voltage levels change enough to make everything go screwy. Thats probably why it worked ok for a while after you changed lenses. I work as a fleet mechanic on trucks and refrigeration equip. and chase these kinds of ghosts often. More often than not, the problem is a connection and not a faulty part. Our cameras aren't exposed to the same harsh conditions as a truck (hopefully) but the same enviromental forces are at work.
08-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reeftool is right on the money there - you could in fact describe it as a glaze.

Think about humidity, changes in temperature, general contamination, all working together to coat coat coat!

It doesn't take much if you live near the water or like us Upstate NY folks during winter, with more salt on the roads than in the ocean.
08-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #12

What do you suggest cleaning the contacts with? I'm headed to the Galapagos Islands in a few weeks- lots of moisture on a ship, and was curious as to what to use on them.
08-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If anything, this thread should point out that AF systems in DSLRs are complicated beasts and failure can be attributed to any number of problems somewhere in that complicated system.

I've had AF fail on different DSLRs or different occasions due to dirty lens mount contacts, broken screw drive inside a lens, and a damaged lens mount before. More recently, I was playing with a friend's new Nikon D700 this week and noticed that the AF was absolutely HORRIBLE. It turned out the batteries just needed to be charged and then the AF was working fine.

Bottom line, AF systems are so complex with so many potential points of failure that I'm amazed they work at all sometimes. I guess that's why I still have a few manual focus lenses and I put split prism viewfinders in my cameras.
08-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #14
Closed Account

I've been having that same problem for the last month with my DA*16-50/K10D. The humidity has been very high and I even found mould building up on some cloth bound books! This is Nova Scotia and I haven't seen that bad for years.
Good points.
I just received some silica gel I found on e-bay and some of it will go in my camera bag as well as in my storage drawer ASAP.
rnovo
08-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use alcohol on a microfiber cloth to clean my contacts, and dry carefully after with a dry section of the microfiber cloth.