Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help! Stranded on a trip with no battery charger!

Somehow I traveled 3700 miles to take pictures for over a week and I forgot my battery charger. I shoot with a K-1 and I have two batteries but no charger. I'm sure I'll make it for a few days, especially if I can figure out ways to lengthen battery life like minimizing use of the rear screen, but it will be very bad if I can't shoot for the whole trip. Right now I'm at Denali National Park and on Tuesday I'll be traveling to the Anchorage area. I found a Pentax dealer in Anchorage so I'll see if I can get a charger or a battery grip. Other than that, I'd like to hear any suggestions anyone may have. Connectivity is very challenging here so I can't easily check this site very often.

06-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-2-Pack-Charger/dp/B004UR7250/ref...++li90+charger
No need for a Pentax charger, this one is my favorite travel charger and it includes two batteries. If you are an Amazon customer order it overnight to your hotel room. No problem in the 48, not sure about Alaska but worth a shot if the dealer does not stock a charger.
06-18-2017, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

There's a Pentax dealer in Alaska? Wow.

You'd conserve battery life shooting manual focus.
06-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Amazon...
Amazon is not supposed to ship to hotels (many sellers don't) but they frequently ignore rules.

06-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Amazon is not supposed to ship to hotels
Amazon lockers in Alaska maybe?
06-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

turn screen off and go full manual
06-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Call a friend to buy it in a store and ship it to you express?
06-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Be sure to ship only a charger, no batteries--Li Ion batteries aren't supposed to travel in air cargo.

06-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The batteries that come with the charger are not too good, they don't last nearly as long as the OM ones but they are spares that work in a pinch. The charger I prefer are the USB ones which charge from a USB port/charger. Keeps my overall cables and charger devices down. A 12v to USB cigarette car lighter and USB wall plug charger will charge all of my devices and camera batteries.
06-27-2017, 05:37 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
and now the outcome...

Well I'm back home and happy to say that I didn't miss any photo ops due to my failure to take a charger with me. Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up visiting the main Ricoh Imaging dealer in Alaska when I got to Anchorage, Camera Service Center. While that shop didn't have anything to solve my problem, the proprietor was very helpful. He suggested another camera shop as well as a Batteries Plus store. The other camera store had nothing for me but the Batteries Plus store had a generic camera battery charger that could charge my D-Li90 batteries. So for $40 I was able to solve my stressful dilemma. The charger isn't great and the battery does not fit in easily, but it did provide a full charge to both of my batteries. So the outcome was about as good as it could be. I did take steps to preserve my batteries prior to obtaining the charger, including taking certain shots with my cell phone, but I never had to go without my camera. So kudos to Camera Service Center and Batteries Plus. BTW, Camera Service Center had a nice Pentax 15mm lens that was very tempting. But my backpack was already quite full, including the D-FA 15-30 which also covers 15 mm.

A sample shot from the trip:

06-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Happens to the "best of us" - planned carefully for a long-anticipated trip to Thailand a few years ago and taking the K-30 + (deliberately) the AA adapter and rechargeables, but still got there to discover that I had left the AA recharger behind, and there we were off on a 7 days minibus trip along the length of the country! Used the K-30 as little as possible but still almost ran out of charged AAs - and then found 2x twin AA-rechargers in a tourist market in Laos across the river in the Golden Triangle! Problem solved (and still kept in the cupboard "just in case" )