Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Has my K10D reached the end of the road?

Yesterday, while travelling up a misty mountain pass, we stopped at the side of the road to grab a few shots. I had the 50mm f/1.4 on the camera. After taking a couple of shots i decided to go wide angle and swopped to the 20mm f/4. In my rush I pressed the shutter button while there was no lens mounted. My fellow traveller was eager to get going as the mist was closing in. I then took a few more shots in quick succession. The camera then refused to take any more shots. Memory card buffer thing, I thought and got back into the passenger seat.

Inside the car, I took another look. My trusty K10D was refusing to take pictures. I all did the obvious things. Power cycled, changed memory card, change battery, change lens, fiddled with the focus mode. Nothing worked. The camera still powers up and does the sensor clean shake. I could change settings and play back images but not take pictures. FWIW it was about 9 degrees Celcius outside but it was not raining, so I don't think it was the weather.

Right now the camera is sitting in the bag. I am too depressed about the whole thing to even have another look. A bit of searching on this site and others has not brought any answers . There is a thread here where somebody took off the top of his K10D and blew air into the shutter button. He got lucky and his camera came back to life.

I don't have a good feeling. When the shutter button is pressed, there is just a soft thumping noise but that is it. A bit like some relay that is not working properly. The aperture block perhaps?

What are my options? Am I missing an obvious quick fix? Don't think so, life is seldomly that simple. Do more research and have a go at a repair? That might brick it forever. Take it in to a repair shop? They might want a hefty fee just to have a look. Or it might not be economical - a K10D is not worth a great deal of money these days. Waiting for parts might take a while. Get another K10D? There is one on sale with two lenses on a local site for about 200USD. Or get something more modern? There is/was this KS-2 on sale for about 430USD.

The thing is, I really like my K10D. It has less than 30 000 on the shutter and I have two batteries for it. I have been thinking about getting a camera that will do modern things like high ISO and video, but I was going to keep the K10D.

Luckily I do have a K200D in the house to tide me over, so I can still take pics. The thing is, at present I don't feel like it.

06-19-2017, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know how you feel. My *istDL died suddenly without warning about five years back. Blank screen, no picture taking, no nothing. You OUGHT to be capable of firing the shutter without harm without the lens on, because that's how you flick the mirror up to clean the sensor. I suspect this is its way of saying it had had enough. To paraphrase Roy Batty from Blade Runner: "All this will be lost, like tears in rain. Time to die."

I suspect both parts availability and service/repair support at the official level are things of the past, and it is time to look to the future. That KS-2 would be a pretty decent upgrade given what you're currently using. Or if the lenses that come with the K10D for sale are two you don't have, that could end up being a pretty good bargain.
06-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm no expert. I don't know if you have done a reset ? Maybe it will work.
06-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #4

The cold may have dropped the output on both batteries low enough for the camera to malfunction. Have you tried it since with everything up to room temperature?

Moisture in the camera might have caused malfunction. Do you have any desiccant bags (silica gel)? Put the camera with lens off or at least loosened in a sealed container with desiccant for a couple days and try it again. Uncooked rice sometimes works as a desiccant.

06-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #5

I dont think firing the shutter without a lens attached has any harmful effects...I have done it many times on my k10, k20, k5s and k3. I would certainly do a 'mirror up' to make sure everything is still in it's proper place. I certainly would NOT contemplate any diy repairs though!. My K10 unfortunately failed at 6k shutter actuations when the aperture block jammed in the up position, so I fitted a Pentax M42 converter ring and use the K10 with my old Takumar lenses. I am rather fond of the colour rendering of the sensor fitted to the 10s. All I can suggest is you make sure your electrical contacts on lens and body are clean and not stuck inwards in their seats etc, etc. AND check all your menu and other settings, plus all moveable controls.

Last edited by cbrog; 06-20-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: miss-spelling!
06-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Perhaps the mirror got stuck? I would check if the sensor cleaning mirror up works.
06-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Yesterday, while travelling up a misty mountain pass, we stopped at the side of the road to grab a few shots. I had the 50mm f/1.4 on the camera. After taking a couple of shots i decided to go wide angle and swopped to the 20mm f/4. In my rush I pressed the shutter button while there was no lens mounted. My fellow traveller was eager to get going as the mist was closing in. I then took a few more shots in quick succession. The camera then refused to take any more shots. Memory card buffer thing, I thought and got back into the passenger seat.

Inside the car, I took another look. My trusty K10D was refusing to take pictures. I all did the obvious things. Power cycled, changed memory card, change battery, change lens, fiddled with the focus mode. Nothing worked. The camera still powers up and does the sensor clean shake. I could change settings and play back images but not take pictures. FWIW it was about 9 degrees Celcius outside but it was not raining, so I don't think it was the weather.

Right now the camera is sitting in the bag. I am too depressed about the whole thing to even have another look. A bit of searching on this site and others has not brought any answers . There is a thread here where somebody took off the top of his K10D and blew air into the shutter button. He got lucky and his camera came back to life.

I don't have a good feeling. When the shutter button is pressed, there is just a soft thumping noise but that is it. A bit like some relay that is not working properly. The aperture block perhaps?

What are my options? Am I missing an obvious quick fix? Don't think so, life is seldomly that simple. Do more research and have a go at a repair? That might brick it forever. Take it in to a repair shop? They might want a hefty fee just to have a look. Or it might not be economical - a K10D is not worth a great deal of money these days. Waiting for parts might take a while. Get another K10D? There is one on sale with two lenses on a local site for about 200USD. Or get something more modern? There is/was this KS-2 on sale for about 430USD.

The thing is, I really like my K10D. It has less than 30 000 on the shutter and I have two batteries for it. I have been thinking about getting a camera that will do modern things like high ISO and video, but I was going to keep the K10D.

Luckily I do have a K200D in the house to tide me over, so I can still take pics. The thing is, at present I don't feel like it.
Are you sure the batteries are good?

06-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a good feeling. When the shutter button is pressed, there is just a soft thumping noise but that is it. A bit like some relay that is not working properly. (
Excercise the shutter button, maybe something got under the edger of it and keeping it from connecting. I saw this once where a drop of Coke got on a shutter button, dried and left a couple grains of sugar. with several pushes worked it's way out. Probblky not it but I'd try everything non destructive.
06-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Suggestion for you. Remove the battery and leave out for at least 24 hours, then try again. My K-x was having similar problems, and I removed the batteries and replaced with newly charged two days later, it works now.
06-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
KDD
Veteran Member

My k10d died few years ago. When you tire power on, your finger feel on screen hot. It mean died.
06-19-2017, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
a) Try the K10D again with fresh batteries. I have seen cameras "die" for no "good" reason, only to come back to life, without any known fix other than Murphyʻs Law was in effect when I needed the technology to work. Temperature, humidity, electromagnetic flux, lord knows it couldʻve been Mercury in retrograde.

b) I once dropped an SLR (Minolta Maxxum 9000) off my monopod at shoulder height onto the road with a 600mm lens. The camera saved the lens. It split in two by the impact. That camera literally met the road and its end. As your camera wasnʻt left in Davy Jonesʻ Locker, it can be repaired, but at what cost?

c) Is your love of the K10D that important to miss out on better equipment like the K-S2? If so, then Amazon or eBay will have another one out there for you. Hereʻs one for $179: amazon.com : Pentax K10D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
But Pentax DSLRs has such ergonomics, this may be a sign from Zeus that you deserve a more capable sensor, and with digital technology, newer is almost always better.

Many of us do get emotionally attached to a certain tool, but itʻs just a tool to capture the light. Donʻt let the loss of a material thing stop you from pursuing the magic of memories and vistas for you to share with those less able to see and be there.
06-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input guys. I have two batteries, both did the same.

I will remove the battery and let the camera sit for a few days.

There is a shop in town that advertises their repairs. I will drop in on them over the weekend to hear what they can do for me.

I had no idea that Amazon sold K10D. Good to know!

They also have the K20D but the price is eye watering...
amazon.com : Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
06-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

That price is what is most commonly called "highway robbery".

For that price, you can and should be able to get something much, much newer (even if secondhand) and much, much better.
06-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If ya like the k10D so much, go on eBay, you'll get some in mint condition for 150$. KEH CAMERA has has couple for 115$.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 12:35 PM ----------

Thanks for all the input guys. I have two batteries, both did the same.

I will remove the battery and let the camera sit for a few days.

There is a shop in town that advertises their repairs. I will drop in on them over the weekend to hear what they can do for me.

I had no idea that Amazon sold K10D. Good to know!

amazon.com : Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Add 27$ to it and you'll get a K-3ii. 826$
06-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That K20D on Amazon is strictly for some collector that wants it new and will never take it out of the box. Ludicrous price.

I alluded to Amazon only because I found a used K10D. For most used purchases, Iʻd recommend a reputable used dealer like KEH that rates, repairs, and offers a 180 day warranty. They have some decent older Pentax DSLRs for under $200 and even a K-5 for under $300.

Pentax | KEH Camera