Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2017, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Always handy to have that second body, no matter how old, Sunny. If you don't have friends who own Pentax or stores stocking it, then for your own sake it's good to have one in storage, just like the spare tyre in your car boot.

And at an event, two bodies with two different focal lengths attached is a good setup.

06-21-2017, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me the issue of a back up camera came up when we went overseas to Tanzania to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary last year. I had an used K 5 II + an older Tameron 70 - 300 mm zoom and other lenses and a Nikon Coopix P610 on that trip.

I didn't want to worry about a problem on that trip leaving me without a camera or having to buy one on the trip

After that trip, I bought a K 3. the K 3 made the K 5 II the back up When we went to on our first trip to the Gran Tetons and Yellowstone NPs earlier this week. This allowed me to have two different lens set up. one for long range the K 3 + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW and the K 5 II + HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR for closer photos.

I didn't want to worry about a problem on that trip either

whether you need or want a back up depends on your ability to pay and your needs, no one can answer it for you.

as I did for Tanzania, your back up doesn't have to be a DSLR.

both of my Pentax camera bodies has the same batteries, memory cards and each has a grip with works with AA batteries as well.

good luck
06-21-2017, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
I'm a photographer on a budget. Planning to buy Pentax K-S2, previously used to shoot with Canon 1200D. So my real question is do I need to have a back up Camera? If yes, should I go for a Pentax K10D in mint condition with 3500 clicks, and flawless body for 130$ or should I go for a 10000 clicks Pentax K-7 with near mint condition for 199$? Your thoughts are welcomed. A lot of my enthusiast buddies told me to have back up Camera to fall back on. A couple of days ago I saw Pentax K-5 being auctioned off for 350$ with 500 clicks, I think.
If you are thinking about a K10D, first spend a lot of quality time with the K10D club thread < The K10D Club! - PentaxForums.com > where you will find out why a lot of forum members continue to love their K10Ds even when they have later more advanced Pentax DSLRs, too. You might be surprised how many people have gotten rid of their old K10Ds when they upgraded, and then later HAD TO buy another one. But I don't know if they would call their K10D's "back-up cameras." The K10D offers something the other cameras don't offer. Read the thread for yourself.
06-21-2017, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

whether you need or want a back up depends on your ability to pay and your needs, no one can answer it for you.

That's a very good point there. Depending on your needs a backup can be a second DSLR like your Canon, a point and shoot, or even your phone. (Phones are getting really good lately!)

In some cases it could even be nice having a second camera of a different type, like a compact, bridge camera or micro four thirds. Then you could have the advantages of both and a backup at the same time.

06-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Always handy to have that second body, no matter how old, Sunny. If you don't have friends who own Pentax or stores stocking it, then for your own sake it's good to have one in storage, just like the spare tyre in your car boot.

And at an event, two bodies with two different focal lengths attached is a good setup.
I would definitely would love to have a back up. But money is a big problem. I need to manage 160$ out of my budget.

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 05:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
for me the issue of a back up camera came up when we went overseas to Tanzania to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary last year. I had an used K 5 II + an older Tameron 70 - 300 mm zoom and other lenses and a Nikon Coopix P610 on that trip.

I didn't want to worry about a problem on that trip leaving me without a camera or having to buy one on the trip

After that trip, I bought a K 3. the K 3 made the K 5 II the back up When we went to on our first trip to the Gran Tetons and Yellowstone NPs earlier this week. This allowed me to have two different lens set up. one for long range the K 3 + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW and the K 5 II + HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR for closer photos.

I didn't want to worry about a problem on that trip either

both of my Pentax camera bodies has the same batteries, memory cards and each has a grip with works with AA batteries as well.

good luck
Well other than a DSLR I don't think anything else would give me the image quality I want. And I don't have the funds to maintain two different system. A second Pentax body would be perfect.

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 05:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
If you are thinking about a K10D, first spend a lot of quality time with the K10D club thread < The K10D Club! - PentaxForums.com > where you will find out why a lot of forum members continue to love their K10Ds even when they have later more advanced Pentax DSLRs, too. You might be surprised how many people have gotten rid of their old K10Ds when they upgraded, and then later HAD TO buy another one. But I don't know if they would call their K10D's "back-up cameras." The K10D offers something the other cameras don't offer. Read the thread for yourself.
The K10D is an amazing camera I know. But my only concern is if the camera is broken, where do I repair it. Pentax doesn't make parts for it. The k10D was my first choice even before the Canon EOS 1200D

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 05:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
That's a very good point there. Depending on your needs a backup can be a second DSLR like your Canon, a point and shoot, or even your phone. (Phones are getting really good lately!)

In some cases it could even be nice having a second camera of a different type, like a compact, bridge camera or micro four thirds. Then you could have the advantages of both and a backup at the same time.
A second Pentax body would be better.
06-22-2017, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

The K10D is an amazing camera I know. But my only concern is if the camera is broken, where do I repair it. Pentax doesn't make parts for it. The k10D was my first choice even before the Canon EOS 1200D.
But it would only be your second camera, right, Sunny? One that old you wouldn't worry about repairing, it'd be cheaper to just buy another old body if something serious happened to it.

Your K-S2 is the one you might get repaired. It's a nice camera, by the way, I've got one myself. Consider an extended warranty, for peace of mind.
06-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But it would only be your second camera, right, Sunny? One that old you wouldn't worry about repairing, it'd be cheaper to just buy another old body if something serious happened to it.

Your K-S2 is the one you might get repaired. It's a nice camera, by the way, I've got one myself. Consider an extended warranty, for peace of mind.
Well you are right about that. I would just buy another one. And for the K-S2 if it lasts me 3 years I'm good with it. Not gonna rough use it or something. Just saying.
06-22-2017, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The K10D is an amazing camera I know. But my only concern is if the camera is broken, where do I repair it. Pentax doesn't make parts for it. The k10D was my first choice even before the Canon EOS 1200D[COLOR="Silver"]
Another used K10D, in good working condition, would probably be available for as cheap or cheaper than getting the typical DSLR repaired. My used K10D was actually cheaper than my K110D was a couple of years earlier.

06-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another used K10D, in good working condition, would probably be available for as cheap or cheaper than getting the typical DSLR repaired. My used K10D was actually cheaper than my K110D was a couple of years earlier.
The K10D is quite cheap. 150$ for a camera in good condition is a good investment.
06-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Agreed. I bought my K10D with a little more than 7,000 shutter actuations and in excellent condition last fall for $74 and it included a DA 18-55 lens. It's by far the least expensive Pentax camera body acquisition I've made and it's one of the best cameras I own.
06-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Agreed. I bought my K10D with a little more than 7,000 shutter actuations and in excellent condition last fall for $74 and it included a DA 18-55 lens. It's by far the least expensive Pentax camera body acquisition I've made and it's one of the best cameras I own.
Is that so? 74$? That's dirt cheap.
06-22-2017, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Is that so? 74$? That's dirt cheap.
Yes, it was a very lucky eBay bid. The auction ended in the wee hours of Labor Day morning and apparently no one else was watching. I placed a bid before I went to bed the night before and was winning with a small amount headroom left on my maximum bid, but I was genuinely--and pleasantly--surprised to find in the morning that I had not only won it but that no one had made any further bids. I guess it was just meant to be.
06-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Yes, it was a very lucky eBay bid. The auction ended in the wee hours of Labor Day morning and apparently no one else was watching. I placed a bid before I went to bed the night before and was winning with a small amount headroom left on my maximum bid, but I was genuinely--and pleasantly--surprised to find in the morning that I had not only won it but that no one had made any further bids. I guess it was just meant to be.
Lucky!!! If I were you, I would never part with that camera.