Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #1

Using older lenses on new dslr

i have the k10d. i'm trying to find some used older lenses to play around with. last spring was the first time i had tried fitting an older lens on the camera and didn't have any luck. today i tried a couple zoom lenses. both fit on the camera just fine, but when i turned the camera on, "F--" was flashed on the top screen and i couldn't take any photos. anyone know what causes this. the camera was in full manual mode. i've been having a really hard time finding used lenses and i'm hoping to find some help. thanks!

08-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #2

The body cannot get information about aperture, and because of that it's showing "F--".
In any other mode than M, you'll shoot with aperture wide open. In Manual mode, when you set aperture on lens, you press green button, and camera meters the secne with selected aperture, and after that you press shutter button to get your pic with selected exposure.
Of course, you do your focusing manually
08-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pipeline Quote
i have the k10d. i'm trying to find some used older lenses to play around with. last spring was the first time i had tried fitting an older lens on the camera and didn't have any luck. today i tried a couple zoom lenses. both fit on the camera just fine, but when i turned the camera on, "F--" was flashed on the top screen and i couldn't take any photos. anyone know what causes this. the camera was in full manual mode. i've been having a really hard time finding used lenses and i'm hoping to find some help. thanks!
You have to go into the custom settings and set the camera to take pictures without the aperture ring set to A (or something like that - it's a very common topic so do a quick search).

After that, you can snap away with all those old lenses, subject to the limitations of the lenses of course. They don't automagically become autofocus or auto aperture.
08-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
ah, i see. i'll give it another shot. thank you for the help!

08-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just look in the custom and as above allow and you can leave this setting so in the future its already allow the use of this lenses

cheers
08-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I shoot a Pentax K 135mm f/2.5 on my Canon 30D with aperture priority metering.

It's got slight spider-webbing fungus around the edges under the front element, but its still razor, and it's still got sweet contrast