Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Is this not a good time to invest in Pentax?

Hi,

I just sold all my camera equipment and I am seriously considering buying a Pentax K1 and a couple of lenses. However I am a bit worried about doing so given the recent reports of financial problems with Ricoh. Today there was another article (I saw it at DP Review) saying they are about to do major cost cutting..
I don't know much about the history of Pentax - whether Pentax has been struggling for a long time and such talk of it's "demise" is not new and not worrisome..... But is this not the right time to jump into buying Pentax stuff?
The K1 seems to be an amazing camera, and I am interested i dong some landscape photography. But I'm not sure it would be wise to invest in a dying brand....
Any thoughts about this?
Thanks,
Jmbern1

06-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neither News nor Rumor. Moved to appropriate forum.
06-21-2017, 11:16 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums

All of the big brands - Ricoh / Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, FujiFilm, Olympus - have been hit by industry down-turns, extraordinary losses or other financial impediments at some point in very recent history. I think it's highly unlikely that any of them will pull out of the enthusiast and/or pro camera markets soon, but there are no guarantees.

Pentax is as safe as any of those other brands, and arguably safer than some in that list. The photography part of Ricoh Imaging - the division responsible for Pentax cameras and lenses - is doing pretty well, all things considered, with a number of fairly recent and seemingly rather successful products already released, and others on the way. Plus, there are so many lenses and accessories available from stock that it's very unlikely you'd be stuck for equipment if the worst did happen.

Honestly, though, I don't think you have anything to worry about...
06-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you concerned about mount longevity or just shooting with what you have?
I think that if someone is genuinely concerned with the mount in terms of their lens investments etc, that you might want to lean on your better judgement as to what you consider a good investment or not. As opposed to investing in a tool to take pictures, at which point I doubt the fate of Pentax would make much of a difference regardless of the outcome.

06-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A: I don't think Pentax is going anywhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmbern1 Quote
I just sold all my camera equipment and...
The K1 seems to be an amazing camera
B: If you buy Pentax you get all the benefits that come along with an amazing camera. And if Pentax dies, you sell it just like you sold your other system and move on.
06-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

I own a k-1 and would encourage anyone to get it. It is an amazing value. Features that are impossible to find at it's price from any competitor. It is a great landscape camera with amazing dynamic range. I have and strongly suggest getting the DFA 15-30mm f2.8. It is a very sharp and amazing lens and very useful for landscape photography.
06-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi,

I just sold all my camera equipment and I am seriously considering buying a Pentax K1 and a couple of lenses. However I am a bit worried about doing so given the recent reports of financial problems with Ricoh. Today there was another article (I saw it at DP Review) saying they are about to do major cost cutting..
I don't know much about the history of Pentax - whether Pentax has been struggling for a long time and such talk of it's "demise" is not new and not worrisome..... But is this not the right time to jump into buying Pentax stuff?
The K1 seems to be an amazing camera, and I am interested i dong some landscape photography. But I'm not sure it would be wise to invest in a dying brand....
Any thoughts about this?
Thanks,
Jmbern1
I had a manager of a famous camera store telling me Pentax was doomed back in 1989. That store and chain are gone. Craftsman tools were the king of the hill without catching a Snapon/Mac/Matco Truck. No it appears Pentax is going to outlast Sears. What's a K-Mart?

06-21-2017, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This issue is 50% fake news FUD and 50% a universal problem with all the camera makers. Between the rise of smartphones, competition from China, and the decline of electro-optical industries that were the focus of Japanese multinationals (printers, copiers, fax machines, camcorders, etc.), there's reason to doubt the survival of every major camera maker. Even the biggest of them may fail under the weight of their own size.

Some would say now is a bad time to buy any kind of camera (besides a smartphone). Maybe the deeper issue here is that in the long-term there is no guaranteed long-term future for any consumer product or consumer product maker. Look at the rise and demise of Nokia, Blakberry, or Myspace to see how today's economy is simply more volatile. But that should not stop people for buying products that they will enjoy.

If smartphone cameras are not good enough, capable enough, or fun enough for you, then buy a K-1. It's a really solid and extremely powerful camera that will give you years of photographic pleasure. The worst that can happen is Pentax will go under and then you'll be able to afford even more lenses for your K-1.
06-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Don't worry because if you do you'll never be able to pick a camera brand. The entire camera industry is on unstable ground because smartphones are good enough for many people who used to buy cameras. Even the companies doing relatively well are at risk because technology is changing so quickly.

Many brands have announced financial warnings, including Ricoh, Nikon, Sony. There are probably others. Olympus and Fuji committed financial fraud ("improper accounting"). If a company hasn't announced problems, is that because they don't have problems, or are they hiding problems?
06-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Even in the worst case scenario, I don't think Pentax will disappear. Ricoh will rather just sell their camera division to the highest bidder, which is much more logical than just closing down the business without getting any money for it. Pentax ownership has changed in the past and the brand is still there.
06-21-2017, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Good luck getting an objective answer...

Anyway, here is my 2 cents. For a landscape camera, you will be hard pressed to find a better deal than what Pentax has to offer.

But a couple of things make it hard for me to fully recommend it. First of all, make sure that you can absolutely live with what lenses and flashes they have now. There is a strong possibility that there will only be one lens released this year, and it is a focal length they already have. There is also no indication things will speed up nor is there any indication that 3rd party support will increase. So if you are fine with the current lens selection, great.
Also, if you do not like the brand, for whatever reason, do not expect your gear to sell quickly or to get what you paid for it. There are plenty of excellent deals, with multiple price drops, in the marketplace that have been sitting there for a LONG time. The pool of potential buyers is MUCH smaller than with other brands.

If you take those into account, then Pentax is very fun, and offers awesome IQ and should definitely fill your landscaping needs.
06-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Hi,

Any thoughts about this?
Thanks,
Jmbern1
Some FUD spreader must be rubbing his hands in joy.
06-21-2017, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi,

Any thoughts about this?
Thanks,
Jmbern1
If you're in the US, there's currently a summer sale where you can save about 10% off all lenses, and you get a free grip with the K-1. So yes, it's a good time to get a K-1. Don't worry about the corporate stuff- they'll deal with it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2017, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

But is this not the right time to jump into buying Pentax stuff?
Any thoughts about this?
Thanks,
Jmbern1
this is an example of the damage done by journalism made by dilettantes.
How many potential new users is Pentax losing these days because of these fake news?
Pentax is healthy and making money for Ricoh - this is a fact.
Pentax, Canon, Nikon et cetera are all on the same deathbed, no one of them will disappear until there will be a camera business, even Minolta is still with us, though now they call them Sony
06-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
even Minolta is still with us, though now they call them Sony
This is IMHO akin to saying that the moldering reanimated corpse of the person you loved is still that person, even while they are clawing at your throat and spilling undead ichor all over your clothes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I had a manager of a famous camera store telling me Pentax was doomed back in 1989.
See the story of the Beatle Buddies: Beatle Buddies: Not Actually Pals | Zero to 180 – Three Minute Magic

Money quote:

The girls are cute and very talented. We think that their names and sound will last long after the Beatles are gone.