Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't believe the KP is a replacement for anything else. It is a lighter-carrying pro-oriented advanced-enthusiast design that fits into its own category. I do think a replacement for the K-3 or K-3II will be forthcoming. As to price, I do remember the K-r was introduced at $800 US. The K-5 came in at about $1,600 US. And this was at 2010 US dollar value. I cannot recall the initial K-3 price, perhaps $1,300 US in 2013, but obviously the KP is now priced as a good value for what it is. The current Pentax DSLR lineup all represent very good values for what they offer.

06-28-2017, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I don't believe the KP is a replacement for anything else. It is a lighter-carrying pro-oriented advanced-enthusiast design that fits into its own category. I do think a replacement for the K-3 or K-3II will be forthcoming. As to price, I do remember the K-r was introduced at $800 US. The K-5 came in at about $1,600 US. And this was at 2010 US dollar value. I cannot recall the initial K-3 price, perhaps $1,300 US in 2013, but obviously the KP is now priced as a good value for what it is. The current Pentax DSLR lineup all represent very good values for what they offer.
I think you're probably correct. To me, the various models, over the years, seemed to follow this sort of development model. (And I can be wildly wrong of course!)
But, if I'm correct, then we'll see something replacing the K-3II, something replacing the K-70 and something else as the 'wild card' replacing, in due course, the K-p.
Attached Images

06-28-2017, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark,

That's an interesting diagram. A couple of the steps aren't possible - the 'DL came out BEFORE the DS2, and likewise the K110D came out before the K100D Super. This is how I map out the family tree. Sometimes there is a major change (or "mutation"), and sometimes two models are "bred" back together. The K-S1 and K-S2 came out so close together that I treat them as siblings, similar to the K-01 and K-30. I have the K-1 as a "mutant child" of the K-3, because it had such a long development period, but its parent could just as easily be the K-3II or even one of the K-5s.
Attached Images

06-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Mark,

That's an interesting diagram. A couple of the steps aren't possible - the 'DL came out BEFORE the DS2, and likewise the K110D came out before the K100D Super. This is how I map out the family tree. Sometimes there is a major change (or "mutation"), and sometimes two models are "bred" back together. The K-S1 and K-S2 came out so close together that I treat them as siblings, similar to the K-01 and K-30. I have the K-1 as a "mutant child" of the K-3, because it had such a long development period, but its parent could just as easily be the K-3II or even one of the K-5s.
Thanks! I know I got some parts of it wrong. When I get a chance I'll correct it. I think we seem to agree there's likely to be a new model following on from three different development paths. I think I'll incorporate your arrow colour scheme!

06-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks! I know I got some parts of it wrong. When I get a chance I'll correct it. I think we seem to agree there's likely to be a new model following on from three different development paths. I think I'll incorporate your arrow colour scheme!
Your arrows look a lot neater than my sloppy lines. I can't decide what color the connection from the *ist-D to the *ist-DS should be. The DS was clearly derived from the D; it was clearly meant to be a cheaper alternative, but not necessarily an economy model like the DL. I guess "mutation" purple covers it best. I'm also not sure if the DL2 should be more closely related to the DL or DS2, but there are so few DL2s out there, and those models were all so close together, it doesn't matter that much.

At this point, my gut feeling is that the KP will be a one-off, rather than the start of a third "trunk" to the tree. We may see other branches from the "premium" trunk, but not necessarily derived from the KP itself.
06-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the fact that you included the K-01 in you diagram, while not a DSLR, it certainly part of the family tree with shared technologies and K-mount.
06-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very good diagrams, both! The picture-diagram reminds one of each model quite well, while the lines-only is more compact. For anyone acquainted with these models, the lineage also shows the amazing advancements over a fairly short period of time. For a number of years after the initial *ist-D, Pentax refrained from trying to keep up in the pro-oriented market and only made inexpensive amateur-oriented DSLR bodies. Very few new lenses came out as well, while older, still useful lenses were discontinued, leaving some gaps in the lineup. Pentax was just hanging in there while digital technology developed at a rapid rate. Then, whamo! The K10D! It got very good reviews, including from depreview, which raved about the Pentax Hyper System, which they had just discovered. It took some time before the lens gaps were filled. The K20D and K-200D offered more upgrades. Even smaller entry-level models came, the K-x , then the K-r. Then after the initial K-7 came the remarkable K-5 series, the most compact and lightweight of its class on the market, but with excellent build quality, and with amazing low noise and high quality IQ.

Now Pentax offers weather-sealing and 2-dial operation with the Hyper System, even in entry-level models, which is outstanding, an excellent FF model at a reasonable price, the remarkable KP, and many newer lenses. Just look at what you can get now for your money compared to the past, even as recent as the K-r, which was considered a good value at the time.

As to the future concerning the KP, that will of course depend on how successful it proves to be. I think it is attracting a lot of attention. It appears to be a niche that needed filling. There could eventually be a KPn or KP II, then a KJ, who knows? I think it's a great concept, and I thoroughly enjoy using it. And it does not detract from the more Pentax traditional compact DSLR, either pro-style K-3 type or entry-level K-70 type. I do still very much like both my K-S2 (it truly is small and light, yet capable), and my workhorse K-5 IIs, which is very capable. Each has relevancy depending on the situation.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-29-2017 at 12:18 PM.
06-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
I like the fact that you included the K-01 in you diagram, while not a DSLR, it certainly part of the family tree with shared technologies and K-mount.
In the DigiCam Review interview with the K-01 product team (not Marc Newson, the Pentax team), they kept showing a stripped-down K-r and discussing how the K-01 was derived from it. That really drove home to me how it is part of the same lineage, just a little "different".
02-01-2018, 04:14 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Since I have two K-3II's......I want a KP for no other reason than the Flip down screen and wi-fi ! Yes....it makes that much of a difference for me.
It is a very hard choice between 2 similar , yet different models.