Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Must be a typo because the KP has no internal GPS.
Which works for me as I have the GPS unit. I find I use the pop-up flash more than the GPS so the KP wold suit my needs nicely.

06-23-2017, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

I went with the KP. I have the K-1 so I wanted something that would be more compact for travel. I find that the KP's controls compliment the K-1 and the customization of the buttons make it so it does everything I need it to without getting into the menus. It is a real fun little camera to use and I find it suits my apsc needs better than anything I've had yet.
06-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
KP has the magnesium alloy body and stainless steel chassis.
When the K-S2 was released it was placed between the K-3ii and the K-50. Well the update to the k-50 has been released(K-70). Have you heard rumors of K-S3 ? Now have you? It's certainly not an update to the k-3ii. So theoretically it has to be K-S2. Maybe they have decided against using plastic. In the future we may never see plastic on Pentax DSLRs. Don't know about you, but my gut feeling tells me this the upgrade to the k-s2. After K-3iii is released I think the KP will get a cost cut. It's hypothesis. So I don't claim it to be the absolute truth.
06-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
When the K-S2 was released it was placed between the K-3ii and the K-50. Well the update to the k-50 has been released(K-70). Have you heard rumors of K-S3 ? Now have you? It's certainly not an update to the k-3ii. So theoretically it has to be K-S2. Maybe they have decided against using plastic. In the future we may never see plastic on Pentax DSLRs. Don't know about you, but my gut feeling tells me this the upgrade to the k-s2. After K-3iii is released I think the KP will get a cost cut. It's hypothesis. So I don't claim it to be the absolute truth.
The KP has the magnesium allowy body and so I don't believe its a replacement for the KS2. It is the replacement for the K3ii. Pentax hasn't always had the same number of bodies out but they have been consistent with at least 2 apc bodies.

06-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think KP is one of the premium Pentax dSLR's, positioned above K-70 and below K-1 (for the time being). IIRC Ricoh said KP and K-3ll would co-exist for several months. The KP feature set is an unusual combination of new technology and lower grade shelf-tech, and when considering the thin body design it is difficult to characterize, but it does not have the flagship feature set or controls. I think there is room between KP and K-1 for a new flagship APSc dSLR.

At the price, I don't believe KP replaces K-S2 - it isn't an 'S' body - but it could well be a one-off. I believe it is intended to be a subtle alternative to an APSc MILC.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-25-2017 at 07:36 PM.
06-25-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
Of these two cameras which one would you choose for a excellent all around camera?
I think both are excellent all around cameras. It's all come down to how much you want to spend for the excellent stuff?
Excellent tank & Best bang of the buck = K3 / 3II
Excellent beauty & Latest tech of Pentax = KP
06-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Endless fun can be had trying to make straight lines out of the meandering Pentax lineup, but I think focusing on the model names is a mistake. Pentax history has shown the naming schemes to be almost meaningless, and probably indicate the whim of a product manager more than anything. The K-70 and K-S2 are more closely related to each other in overall design and feature set than they are to either the the K-50 or KP. If you are looking for an "upgraded K-S2", then a slightly modified K-S2 body with an improved sensor, same shutter, same processor, and same AF module fits the bill more closely than a completely different body with an improved sensor, different shutter, different processor AND different AF module.

The KP has features of both the traditional low-end "plastic body" line, and the high-end "metal body" line. It's both and neither. It may be a one-off, or, given the muddled message at launch whether it was a "K-3 II replacement", it may be that Ricoh was unsure if there was even a need for an APS-C flagship once the K-1 took on the mantle of K-mount flagship, and they were testing the waters in a different direction.

While the KP met my needs better than the K-3II (and I quite like my KP), I do think there is still a need for the K-7/5/3-style body with big grip, big battery, big buffer, top LCD, dual SD cards, and the other "flagship" features the KP lacks.

Last edited by THoog; 06-26-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typos
06-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Endless fun can be had trying to make straight lines out of the meandering Pentax lineup
Camera companies have the absolute worst, confusing product lineup. Pentax is least bad simply because they have less cameras. Canon is the worst. Just looking at DSLRs, I have no idea how an Canon 80D compares to a 7D. At east when I go to Nikon's site they have it broken into FX Entry, FX Advanced Entry, FX Pro, FX Flagship and the similar for DX. Canon's site doesn't help me understanding the lineup. It all kind of reminds me of Apple right before Jobs came back in the mid 90s. Nobody could make out the lineup of Macs then it was far too confusing.
06-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of these two cameras which one would you choose for a excellent all around camera?? I realize the KP is new compared to the K-3II but to some that is not a big deal. Of these two if you had to choose one what would it be and WHY??? PROS & CONS Thanks Bill
First thing that comes to my mind is what do you have now in both a camera body and lenses?

The KP is not a replacement for the K-S2, which I've had for about 2 years- and I still like it a lot. The replacement for the K-S2 is the K-70, which has a nearly identical body design and control layout, with scene modes available, etc. Good for amateurs or more advanced alike. The KP is more in the pro or advanced enthusiast design- metal construction, no scene modes, available battery grip for longer battery power and handling with larger lenses, tilt-out LCD screen, advanced control setup, advancements in AF, SR, and more. It is a lightweight, compact version to be in this category, and has a unique design to accomplish that end.

If you rarely shoot with an ISO setting above 1600 the K-3II could serve your needs quite well, given the out-going model deals now available, keeping in mind it has no built-in flash, and of course no scene modes as well. I recently bought a KP and I am very pleased wth it. Image quality with a high-quality lens is outstanding. For me, handling is excellent with the different grips to fit ones hands, and according to the lenses being used.
06-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Of these two cameras which one would you choose for a excellent all around camera?? I realize the KP is new compared to the K-3II but to some that is not a big deal. Of these two if you had to choose one what would it be and WHY??? PROS & CONS Thanks Bill
Easy... Both! That is what I had to do!

Seriously for a more pro body and higher FPS and mechanical shutter speed K3II, plus better value...

For high ISO and a more "retro" compact body go KP...

I like both of mine really comes down to budget and preference / intended usage.
06-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The KP has the magnesium allowy body and so I don't believe its a replacement for the KS2. It is the replacement for the K3ii. Pentax hasn't always had the same number of bodies out but they have been consistent with at least 2 apc bodies.
Lol a replacement for K-3ii? With much diminished battery life and slower shooting speed, do you really believe that? Neither a top lcd panel, like most flagship APS-C of Pentax. Maybe you can state your reasons for believing what you believe????
06-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think there was a statement from DPR that said that this was the K-3II replacement. However, it was rebutted by some members with connections from Pentax stating that this is not the K-3II replacement. Not that I need to buy a new camera but, I would like to see a K-3II replacement with a much better AF and better image quality at low light and high ISO settings. I'm just saying what I want. Maybe if the K-3II replacement comes out, I'll just drool over it. But, if I have some spare cash I might just have to rebut myself and get me two of them.
06-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Lol a replacement for K-3ii? With much diminished battery life and slower shooting speed, do you really believe that? Neither a top lcd panel, like most flagship APS-C of Pentax. Maybe you can state your reasons for believing what you believe????
I will give you two reasons the first that I have stated already but you have ignored. #1) It has a magnesium alloy body which has historically been reserved for the flagship aps-c bodies. #2) the price point.

In the past including wiht the K-3 II, they never had a full frame in the line up. It would depend on which 35mm dSLR is considered the flagship I suppose at this point.
06-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I think there was a statement from DPR that said that this was the K-3II replacement. However, it was rebutted by some members with connections from Pentax stating that this is not the K-3II replacement. Not that I need to buy a new camera but, I would like to see a K-3II replacement with a much better AF and better image quality at low light and high ISO settings. I'm just saying what I want. Maybe if the K-3II replacement comes out, I'll just drool over it. But, if I have some spare cash I might just have to rebut myself and get me two of them.
I agree. There are certain things at this price point the bothers me about the KP. One is the missing gps even though some descriptions claim it has it such as BH (unless they have edited it since last week). The other is the lower life listed on the shutter as well as the 7 fps instead of the 8.3.
06-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #30
Pentaxian

MY observation on the KP is it's a replacement body for a K-5, not a K-3. The 8 FPS of the K-3, larger buffers etc. make it a better action camera. But if you aren't buying a K-1, a KP could be your low light camera. The stuff I've done documenting cottages for a friend who's cottage shopping, 3200 ISO with no flash, has been amazing using the K-1.

If I was staying all APS-c it would have been a no brainer. But, I'd still have my K-3.