Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-3II or KP which one????

Of these two cameras which one would you choose for a excellent all around camera?? I realize the KP is new compared to the K-3II but to some that is not a big deal. Of these two if you had to choose one what would it be and WHY??? PROS & CONS Thanks Bill

06-21-2017, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
Of these two cameras which one would you choose for a excellent all around camera?? I realize the KP is new compared to the K-3II but to some that is not a big deal. Of these two if you had to choose one what would it be and WHY??? PROS & CONS Thanks Bill
Google is your friend.

pentax kp vs k3ii - Google Search
06-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have had both...that is a tough comparison because they are so different.
From an ergonomics standpoint, I prefer the K-3II. It just felt a lot more comfortable in my hand. I also like the fact that it has 2 separate AF and AE-Lock buttons because i use back button autofocus.
For the KP, I like the fact that the there is that knob on the top, like the K-1. I actually use that a lot. The autofocus on the KP feels faster and more accurate than the K-3II.

At the end of the day, I would probably choose the K-3II just due to the current price differential.
06-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

I was in your same boat until a few days ago, then I have chosen the KP, why? amazing high ISO performance and latest generation SR and Pixel Shift mainly. Technology plays a huge part in today's camerasy, so I believe it makes sense to get the most advanced technology and since the way I will use my new Pentax high ISO and SR are hugely important in the end the choice was an easy one.
In the past I have owned a K3, if high ISO are not relevant for you and you feel safer with two card slots then go with the K3II.

06-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our KP review is about to go live. Here's a quick specs comparison:

Pentax KP vs K-3 II: Do we have a new flagship? - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com

And you can get a sense of a difference in image quality here:

Pentax K-70 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

TL;DR: The KP has noticeably less noise at higher ISOs and delivers new features such as a more customizable interface and Wi-Fi. It's a pretty big step up in image quality. The K-3 II, on the other hand, has better ergonomics, a larger burst buffer, more ports (hdmi, mic, IR report), built-in GPS, and a longer battery life.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Do you need GPS? Then go with K-3II. Or do you need onboard flash?
Which design do you prefer?

I would go with KP, I think it would suit my needs better. But a K-3II would be good, too, if you get a nice deal.. But you have to decide your priorities and get what you want. Both cameras are good, so if you don't know which one, then get the cheaper one. If you don't want the cheaper one, then get the other one
06-21-2017, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #7
npc
Veteran Member

I'd choose K-3 II ... nothing beats the true flagship K7/K5/K3 style body. Let's hope K-3 II was not the last model to have these ergonomics and features set.

06-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The kp looks more like a K-S2 replacement. A compact DSLR.
06-21-2017, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

If I had to pick one, I'd get the K-3II over the KP. It's semi-dirt cheap at the moment & it has the "pro" build. The KP blows the K-3II away at higher ISO IQ & with its 5-axis IBIS. The KP also has slightly better AF performance, but it's probably not that noticeable compared to he K-3II.

Wait a few more months. There is a chance that the K-3II replacement will be announced the end of August or early September. If not, you're probably going to have to wait for another year. I'm still waiting.
06-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-3II also has a top lcd display for reading your current ISO, Shutter, and Aperture (F Stop) settings. That is the thing about the flagship models, they always have seemed to retain that feature. It is one of the main tools that I use when I shoot. The KP does not have that feature, but does have the rear display monitor that folds out. I have the K-3II, and it performs very well. Obviously the KP is the newer model, and seems to have the features that will provide you with excellent imagery if you can get along without the top lcd display. The KP would require you to purchase the Pentax OGPS-1 unit to make use of its Astrotracer/GPS functions, whereas the K-3II has those features built in. If you are looking for compactness, then the KP might be a choice, depending on your needs.

Good luck choosing.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-21-2017 at 05:42 PM.
06-22-2017, 12:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've choose the KP because I need the high ISO, I shoot events regularly and the flash doesn't solve everything. The third wheel is very useful.
06-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a KP but I have a k-3II. I think features wise I would choose the k-3II. However, based on what I read, I would choose the KP over the K-3 as I'm more interest in better image quality at high ISO and better AF. If I have some cash, I'd buy one and give my K-3II to my daughter.
06-22-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
The kp looks more like a K-S2 replacement. A compact DSLR.
KP has the magnesium alloy body and stainless steel chassis.
06-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Our KP review is about to go live. Here's a quick specs comparison:

Pentax KP vs K-3 II: Do we have a new flagship? - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com

And you can get a sense of a difference in image quality here:

Pentax K-70 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

TL;DR: The KP has noticeably less noise at higher ISOs and delivers new features such as a more customizable interface and Wi-Fi. It's a pretty big step up in image quality. The K-3 II, on the other hand, has better ergonomics, a larger burst buffer, more ports (hdmi, mic, IR report), built-in GPS, and a longer battery life.
Adam, why does the BH site list the KP has having integrated GPS? It doesn't specify that the gizmo is required.

QuoteQuote:
Integrated GPS for recording location information directly into the photo's Exif data.
Pentax KP DSLR Camera (Body Only, Black) 16018 B&H Photo Video
06-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Adam, why does the BH site list the KP has having integrated GPS? It doesn't specify that the gizmo is required.

Pentax KP DSLR Camera (Body Only, Black) 16018 B&H Photo Video
Must be a typo because the KP has no internal GPS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: