Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should I get a K-1?

My K-S1 has been my gateway drug into the world of DSLRs.

But, after playing around with film a bit, there's something really nice about using the full image circle of the glass, especially with anything < 30mm. At the moment, my only way to have full frame is to use film -- but getting film developed is more of a process than it used to be, especially with expired film.

Also, with basically the exception of the kit lens, I have film-era full-frame glass.

My main hesitation is price -- I paid about $300 for my K-S1, new, as overstock. A K-1 is still around 6x more new.

Thoughts?

Edit:

I got the deal on B&H with the battery grip, sd card, and bag. Scheduled to arrive Tuesday

Last edited by timw4mail; 06-23-2017 at 04:21 PM.
06-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No question, get one.

You like the FF/35mm image format, and you have legacy glass that will work on the k1.
06-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good luck getting people to say NOT to buy a K-1 around here :P
The only reason not to get a K-1 is because it will make you want to buy more and more lenses.

Seriously, with the tilting screen, focus peaking and magnification, accurately focusing manual focus lenses is a breeze. Your film era lenses will get new life.
06-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Good luck getting people to say NOT to buy a K-1 around here :P
The only reason not to get a K-1 is because it will make you want to buy more and more lenses.

Seriously, with the tilting screen, focus peaking and magnification, accurately focusing manual focus lenses is a breeze. Your film era lenses will get new life.
I already have a problem with buying lenses... I actually shipped off some lenses for the first time today.

Is focus peaking somehow different on the K-1?

06-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

after i got the k1 bundled with dfa 24-70
i purchased 8 more lens... just be careful....

but yeah, i you want ff and already have the glass for it, why not...
06-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
My main hesitation is price -- I paid about $300 for my K-S1, new, as overstock. A K-1 is still around 6x more new.
Thoughts?
I have purchased about a dozen new SLRs (35mm, medium format, and digital) in my life. The reasonable, affordable models have come and gone. The ones that were out of my budget, that were objectively unreasonable for me to buy, I still own years or decades since buying them. Afraid of regret, it was a hard decision, but in retrospect, I regret wasting my money on the reasonable purchases that carried me over for 5-7 years and have zero regret over the flagships that I still use today.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” -George Bernard Shaw.

Your K-S1 was the reasonable purchase. But considering your lenses and your intuition, I have no doubt that the K-1 will help you take your photography to the next level and that the high ticket price was in the big picture, a wise investment.
06-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is there a matte focusing screen for the K-1?

And what are the advantages of getting the battery grip? (Besides more battery life)

06-22-2017, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I have purchased about a dozen new SLRs (35mm, medium format, and digital) in my life. The reasonable, affordable models have come and gone. The ones that were out of my budget, that were objectively unreasonable for me to buy, I still own years or decades since buying them. Afraid of regret, it was a hard decision, but in retrospect, I regret wasting my money on the reasonable purchases that carried me over for 5-7 years and have zero regret over the flagships that I still use today.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” -George Bernard Shaw.

Your K-S1 was the reasonable purchase. But considering your lenses and your intuition, I have no doubt that the K-1 will help you take your photography to the next level and that the high ticket price was in the big picture, a wise investment.
That's a very interesting way of looking at it... I came to the same conclusion regarding lenses, so I sold a bunch and am now trying to get one that is "out of my budget and unreasonable for me to buy"...
06-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had been looking at and twisting over a K1 for many months. But I bought a K3II last April, and think it's a great camera. I was finding it really hard to wrap my head around replacing such a good camera a little more than a year out. Well, I twisted until I couldn't take it any longer, and I figured the worst case was I would loose the return shipping costs to B&H - you can return for any reason within 30 days, but if it's not defective, you'll probably pay the shipping. So, I got it. Well, can you see my sh* eating grin from were you sit? I've got the Cheshire cat beaten. Yes, the 36MP K1 is worth it and beats the pants of the 24MP K3II. The only thing I'm looking at the K3II for now is FPS when birding. Beyond that, it's a no-brainer. The K1 is what I will grab. The IQ is fantastic. The features are fantastic. Start looking at what the competitors charge for full frame, and you just can't touch the K1 for value and performance and quality. A great deal on the KS-1 shouldn't be a factor. You have a backup camera you like, but I think you'll find the IQ will be so far beyond, I doubt you will use it much again. So yes, buy the K1.
06-22-2017, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I just spent a lot of money...
06-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
My K-S1 has been my gateway drug into the world of DSLRs.

But, after playing around with film a bit, there's something really nice about using the full image circle of the glass, especially with anything < 30mm. At the moment, my only way to have full frame is to use film -- but getting film developed is more of a process than it used to be, especially with expired film.

Also, with basically the exception of the kit lens, I have film-era full-frame glass.

Thoughts?
Hi, I've just got the k1 , took a while to save for it but I love it. The answer to your question is a very simple one. Definitely yes.
06-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, I just spent a lot of money...
Congratulations! Please do keep us informed about how the purchase is for you. I have some thought processes that are similar to yours, I believe, and I think there are many here that may be considering the K-1 as well, so your perspectives might help a lot of us here.
06-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I know you think you had a choice, but you didn't. I'm not even sure I've ever noticed the FF effects. but I'm still happy with the K-1. I'm still debating the price, it was expensive. But I take the camera everywhere it's feasable.

I lke APS-c for it's reach, but for everything else a K-1 just feels better.
06-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I know you think you had a choice, but you didn't. I'm not even sure I've ever noticed the FF effects. but I'm still happy with the K-1. I'm still debating the price, it was expensive. But I take the camera everywhere it's feasable.

I lke APS-c for it's reach, but for everything else a K-1 just feels better.
Perhaps just the fact that I shot film...makes full-frame seem much more natural.
06-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Perhaps just the fact that I shot film...makes full-frame seem much more natural.
I quickly discovered 50m FF is the way I think. I start there, and everything evolved from that. Need more reach, telephoto, need wider , wide angle.I Never liked the images of a 35mm on APS-c to feel the same about APS-c. IN fact I avoided the focal length, eventually using my 40 XS on APS-c as a standard lens. Now it's a great FF lens.

But I can walk around with a 50 on my K-1 as a walk around lens and feel right at home.