Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
But OP was speaking of a second camera, I think it better to have one that uses the same lenses and cards over a faster card in an old camera. I had a D200 while my wife the K10D and both sucks for low light and both produced great images. If OP had a Nikon as primary camera I would suggest the D200.
Not interested in Nikon much. Although they make some interesting lenses. I'm more of a Pentax guy!

06-24-2017, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see why since you have a KS2 there'd be a reason to buy either of those older models. The K10D has the exclusive Pentax Hyper system, but so does your KS2, since it also has a two-dial control layout. The Hyper system is the fastest, most efficient design for making quick changes on the fly. When dpreview first discovered it, they were reviewing the K10D and raved about its simplicity and effectiveness. You might want to look it up in their older reviews. In Program mode, if you decide you'd rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than what the camera is giving, you simply go ahead and select what you want and the camera just does it instantly, as long as there's light enough for metering. It shifts into aperture or shutter priority until you either hit the green button to return to full Program mode, or turn off the camera.

In (Hyper) Manual mode, you can get instant metered exposure setting just by hitting the green button and go from there. Great for spot metering around a scene quickly.

Your K-S2 will easily outperform either of those models you are considering at a higher ISO range. If you are considering spending for another camera body, I'd say save up and go for a KP. While you are saving, the price may come down a bit. The KP is even better at higher ISO and has many advanced features. Then your KS2 will become your still very good backup body, and especially for casual use, parties, selfies with friends using a WA lens, etc. Both are fun cameras for different reasons. I have them both so I know.
06-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I can't see why since you have a KS2 there'd be a reason to buy either of those older models. The K10D has the exclusive Pentax Hyper system, but so does your KS2, since it also has a two-dial control layout. The Hyper system is the fastest, most efficient design for making quick changes on the fly. When dpreview first discovered it, they were reviewing the K10D and raved about its simplicity and effectiveness. You might want to look it up in their older reviews. In Program mode, if you decide you'd rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than what the camera is giving, you simply go ahead and select what you want and the camera just does it instantly, as long as there's light enough for metering. It shifts into aperture or shutter priority until you either hit the green button to return to full Program mode, or turn off the camera.

In (Hyper) Manual mode, you can get instant metered exposure setting just by hitting the green button and go from there. Great for spot metering around a scene quickly.

Your K-S2 will easily outperform either of those models you are considering at a higher ISO range. If you are considering spending for another camera body, I'd say save up and go for a KP. While you are saving, the price may come down a bit. The KP is even better at higher ISO and has many advanced features. Then your KS2 will become your still very good backup body, and especially for casual use, parties, selfies with friends using a WA lens, etc. Both are fun cameras for different reasons. I have them both so I know.
Yes the KP is fabulous, but Pentax really overpriced it. I know there's going to be a price cut. But that's a long way off. I was considering the K10D cuz it's really cheap, cheaper than most point and shoots. You know a dispensable body. I'd rather save up for k-3III. IT'S gonna come out with a bang!
07-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Not interested in Nikon much. Although they make some interesting lenses. I'm more of a Pentax guy!
The job I had used Nikon and also Nokkor lenses in high speed cameras. As long as they were supplying I was using.