Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K 10D or Nikon D200?

Both are exceptional. Which one is better? & why? The Nikon is faster and has better ISO performance. While the Pentax is smaller, has ibis, sensor cleaning. Evenly matched I would say.

06-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Assuming your choices of lenses for both Pentax and Nikon are equal.....
Assuming you do not already have another Pentax.....

Then Iʻd go with the D200. It was the high end Nikon APS-C in its day and Iʻve been around two of them since 2006. The weak link with the D200 is the CF CompactFlash card port and if youʻre not careful in inserting and swapping cards, you can bend and damage a pin. For the K10D with the SDHC memory card, thatʻs a non-issue.

Honestly, compared to modern sensors, I would not shoot either the K10D or D200 above 800 ISO if possible. One advantage with the K10D in this regard is that it has Image Stabilization, whereas the Nikon youʻd have to buy a VR lens.

The biggest difference in your results will be in the lens you put on either of these cameras. If you can afford a better Pentax lens, Iʻd go for the K10D; or a better Nikon lens is more affordable, then go for the D200.
06-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't think the Nikon has TAv or Sv modes. And what about an equivalent to Pentax's green button for using the meter to set a good starting exposure setting in M mode?
06-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Assuming your choices of lenses for both Pentax and Nikon are equal.....
Assuming you do not already have another Pentax.....

Then Iʻd go with the D200. It was the high end Nikon APS-C in its day and Iʻve been around two of them since 2006. The weak link with the D200 is the CF CompactFlash card port and if youʻre not careful in inserting and swapping cards, you can bend and damage a pin. For the K10D with the SDHC memory card, thatʻs a non-issue.

Honestly, compared to modern sensors, I would not shoot either the K10D or D200 above 800 ISO if possible. One advantage with the K10D in this regard is that it has Image Stabilization, whereas the Nikon youʻd have to buy a VR lens.

The biggest difference in your results will be in the lens you put on either of these cameras. If you can afford a better Pentax lens, Iʻd go for the K10D; or a better Nikon lens is more affordable, then go for the D200.
Hmm well, I was looking for a back up Camera. You know? It's tempting to get both. But wouldn't be able to support two different system. Maybe I could buy some used lens for the Nikon, and sell them later if I don't use them. My main camera would be Pentax K-S2. It performs like a high end camera. Doesn't look like an entry level by any margin.

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 01:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I don't think the Nikon has TAv or Sv modes. And what about an equivalent to Pentax's green button for using the meter to set a good starting exposure setting in M mode?
Tbh I don't know anything about the Nikon. Maybe you could care to enlighten me a little bit? I have read short reviews but not in-depth reviews about Nikon D200

06-22-2017, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Knowing that this would be a back up to your K-S2, any advantages to the D200 is not significant enough to have two systems. The K10D makes way more sense in terms of lens compatibility and user interface.

And yes, one of the best things about Pentax is that on all model levels, they are giving you features and function that Canikon only offer when you get to their mid-level cameras.
06-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Knowing that this would be a back up to your K-S2, any advantages to the D200 is not significant enough to have two systems. The K10D makes way more sense in terms of lens compatibility and user interface.
That is what I was thinking also. The K-10 has the old CCD sensor that renders fabulous colors at low ISO. Some still prefer that look at the low ISO.
06-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both cameras have that old 10Mp Sony CCD sensor - I know there's been 2 or 3 variations on that sensor so I'm not sure which camera has what, I think the Pentax has the first one. So sensor-wise, they will be very similar. If you shoot RAW, then you could get similar results out of both of them.
Jpeg engines are obviously different, and each company has its own "vision" of what a good looking picture should be. I like the "Pentax way" of seeing the world, but that is a bias of mine and I'll admit to it. A good friend of mine has the D200 though, and I have to say he also gets very good results out of it with that little Nikkor 35mm 1.8G DX lens. My brother has a D3000 (same sensor, probably a newer version of it) and I've played with it a few times and it's also quite capable of taking good pictures.
So the issue is down mostly to the lenses, I think. If you have the K-S2 already it is a no-brainer to get the K10D, unless you just want to jump over to Nikon anyway - as you say, you can't support both systems so I guess that is the implied question, which system to choose, stay with Pentax or go over to Nikon? Only you can answer that question. Good Nikkor lenses can be pretty pricey, but there's some gems out there. And there's a good selection of third party lenses available new.
Me, I would have no reason to leave Pentax, how else am I going to shoot those wonderful old K mount manual lenses? And I've been contemplating the Takumars recently... I've seen that they give stunning results on that CCD sensor...
06-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

I stand to be corrected, but so far as I know not all Nikon cameras will meter with manual lenses. I think the D200 will, but if you buy any manual Nikon lenses, and some day want to upgrade from the D200, you will have to buy a Nikon body that will meter them. They tend to be the more pricey bodies. For example, I don't think my buddy's D5300 will meter with manual lenses. He would have to shoot in M mode.

06-22-2017, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The way I see it, you already have a Pentax body and lenses. The K10 D was and still is an exceptional camera. While the K20 D and K7 have come and gone from my bag, I can't bring myself to get rid of the K10 D as long as it works. No, it isn't great at iso 600 and above, but it shines at low iso. I have a 20" x 30" print from that camera that is stellar.
06-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster

And yes, one of the best things about Pentax is that on all model levels, they are giving you features and function that Canikon only offer when you get to their mid-level cameras.
And the K10D is much cheaper than the Nikon D200 on eBay.

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Both cameras have that old 10Mp Sony CCD sensor - I know there's been 2 or 3 variations on that sensor so I'm not sure which camera has what, I think the Pentax has the first one. So sensor-wise, they will be very similar. If you shoot RAW, then you could get similar results out of both of them.
Jpeg engines are obviously different, and each company has its own "vision" of what a good looking picture should be. I like the "Pentax way" of seeing the world, but that is a bias of mine and I'll admit to it. A good friend of mine has the D200 though, and I have to say he also gets very good results out of it with that little Nikkor 35mm 1.8G DX lens. My brother has a D3000 (same sensor, probably a newer version of it) and I've played with it a few times and it's also quite capable of taking good pictures.
So the issue is down mostly to the lenses, I think. If you have the K-S2 already it is a no-brainer to get the K10D, unless you just want to jump over to Nikon anyway - as you say, you can't support both systems so I guess that is the implied question, which system to choose, stay with Pentax or go over to Nikon? Only you can answer that question. Good Nikkor lenses can be pretty pricey, but there's some gems out there. And there's a good selection of third party lenses available new.
Me, I would have no reason to leave Pentax, how else am I going to shoot those wonderful old K mount manual lenses? And I've been contemplating the Takumars recently... I've seen that they give stunning results on that CCD sensor...
Hahaha no no I'm still with Pentax. Not jumping ship so soon.

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The way I see it, you already have a Pentax body and lenses. The K10 D was and still is an exceptional camera. While the K20 D and K7 have come and gone from my bag, I can't bring myself to get rid of the K10 D as long as it works. No, it isn't great at iso 600 and above, but it shines at low iso. I have a 20" x 30" print from that camera that is stellar.
Yeah the k10D is a solid camera!
06-22-2017, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Well I think it is settled then
06-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well I think it is settled then
Found a really good deal on eBay. But I'm not gonna reveal it to ya. Until after I have bought it LOL.
06-24-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

The K10D is also noticeable smaller and lighter than the D200. That you have a Pentax already and the D200 uses CF cards you were better off with the K10D. I never really noticed differences in capabilities nor images between the two.
06-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
The K10D is also noticeable smaller and lighter than the D200. That you have a Pentax already and the D200 uses CF cards you were better off with the K10D. I never really noticed differences in capabilities nor images between the two.
CF and CFast are way better than SD cards. Unless you're talking about UHS-II. One of the reasons why Pentax has such slow shooting rate. Trust either Pentax should lose the SDHC or include UHS-II support.
06-24-2017, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
CF and CFast are way better than SD cards. Unless you're talking about UHS-II. One of the reasons why Pentax has such slow shooting rate. Trust either Pentax should lose the SDHC or include UHS-II support.
But OP was speaking of a second camera, I think it better to have one that uses the same lenses and cards over a faster card in an old camera. I had a D200 while my wife the K10D and both sucks for low light and both produced great images. If OP had a Nikon as primary camera I would suggest the D200.