Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ow my braind hurts.

Sorry for this being my first post but I need some help.

In the next few weeks I am going to buy a Pentax DSLR. The problem is, which one?

I wanted the k20d. however money is limited, and I do want to get some prime lenses, 50-200, and 500m mirror lens for fun. but one my budget won't allow me to get all those with the k20.

Which would you recommend?
go for the k20d and know i can't get lenses for awhile excluding kit lens
get the k10d or k200d. If i could afford the k20 it would not be an issue. however my dilemma comes down to the k200d or the k10d. or samsung equivalent.

I can not choose, please help.

08-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
WJW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by levelred Quote

In the next few weeks I am going to buy a Pentax DSLR. The problem is, which one?

I wanted the k20d. however money is limited, and I do want to get some prime lenses, 50-200, and 500m mirror lens for fun. but one my budget won't allow me to get all those with the k20.

get the k10d or k200d. If i could afford the k20 it would not be an issue. however my dilemma comes down to the k200d or the k10d. or samsung equivalent.

Couple of questions might help people help you:

What are you using now?

If you have been shooting film (or other digital) what length lenses do you prefer?

Do you have a primary focus (landscape, portrait) or just a little of everything.

Jeff
08-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Igilligan

I can only tell you what I did. I went the cheaper body route a year ago... I got the K100d with kit, 50-200 and FA 50... If I had only known that in the first year I would spend a ton of cash on old/new lenses, flashes, tripods.... I would have just got the K10d at the time.

To me the difference between the K20d and K200d is even greater than the choice I was making between the K10 and K100. The K20d sensor is really something.

Being frugal on the body is not worth it IMO... get what you want. You will spend more money on lenses very soon.

Others will say get the cheaper body and spend your money on glass, but I say get the body, you are gonna buy the lenses eventually anyway.
08-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

We have both the K20D & K200D in our household.

You will not be dis-appointed with the K200D it is a very good camera at a very very good price, and its a joy to use.
Cheers.

08-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you can still get a K10, jump at it. It is an excellent camera, with pretty much all the features of the K20 (it can't adjust AF on a per lens basis being the biggie). You can't go wrong with a K10.
08-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

however money is limited
save - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/34424-attention-25-ms-cashback-back.html
08-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I understand Gus's point but I will disagree with him and add my voice for the K10D.There are some great prices on used ones now. I think I saw one in the marketplace this morning for $475.00. I have no hesitation in buying from a forum member here that has some track record. (just look at my feedback)

For me the dual thumb wheels is one deciding factor over the K200D. Both have the same sensor and there are a lot of similarities. But having fast easy aperture control on one wheel and shutter on the other is a must have IMO.

As for Gus's point on glass/camera choices. I agree most of us will continue to add glass to the kits we have. But if you get a great body like the K20D (any of the above are great) and can't get any decent lenses for 6-12 months or more, what do you have? Don't get me wrong the kit lens is very good, but can only go so far. It wide but not ultra wide and certainly not very long.

I'd rather shoot with a *istD and the best glass I can get then have the best sensor currently available and compromise on the lenses.
08-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

One way of looking at it: No matter what body you buy it will be obsoleted by a new model sooner or later (which you will then crave for) whereas the lenses last! So perhaps go with the less expensive body now and get the glass you need. A used K10D might be a good alternative to a (new) K200D.

08-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Couple of questions might help people help you:

What are you using now?

If you have been shooting film (or other digital) what length lenses do you prefer?

Do you have a primary focus (landscape, portrait) or just a little of everything.

Jeff
Currently, using a Canon P&S. Last time I shot film was in high school. I think I like doing it all. Just whatever moods hit me. I don't stick one thing too long.
Wow. I will look into that, that will definitely swing my decision.
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I understand Gus's point but I will disagree with him and add my voice for the K10D.There are some great prices on used ones now. I think I saw one in the marketplace this morning for $475.00. I have no hesitation in buying from a forum member here that has some track record. (just look at my feedback)

For me the dual thumb wheels is one deciding factor over the K200D. Both have the same sensor and there are a lot of similarities. But having fast easy aperture control on one wheel and shutter on the other is a must have IMO.

As for Gus's point on glass/camera choices. I agree most of us will continue to add glass to the kits we have. But if you get a great body like the K20D (any of the above are great) and can't get any decent lenses for 6-12 months or more, what do you have? Don't get me wrong the kit lens is very good, but can only go so far. It wide but not ultra wide and certainly not very long.

I'd rather shoot with a *istD and the best glass I can get then have the best sensor currently available and compromise on the lenses.
Great points, I think I will get bored with something that is too automatic,(like I am now) I love the wheels
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
One way of looking at it: No matter what body you buy it will be obsoleted by a new model sooner or later (which you will then crave for) whereas the lenses last! So perhaps go with the less expensive body now and get the glass you need. A used K10D might be a good alternative to a (new) K200D.
I know, I love hanging on too things I find things and stick with it, no matter how old it gets.

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it.
08-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My standard reply:

Take a look at these photos.

They were all taken with a K20D and with lenses none of which cost me over $70.

Used lenses are your friends. Used Takumar lenses are gifts from Heaven.
08-17-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter

...my .02 cent$ (US)...

1. Don't get hung up on lenses.

2. Buy a new K20D and a DA 40 Limited lens then STOP (Stretch, if you must, but don't buy anything else).

3. Learn them to death.

Once you have a feel for how they and you work together, you can always branch out lens-wise. Pentax "backward" lens compatibility gives you a more than a ton of choices, now and forever more. You can be as picky as you wish. You may flirt with other lenses, but in the end the DA 40 will be your 'old faithful.'

As to the K20D... its sensor is so good that it brings out the best in glass. In fact, when I read a lens review (blah to so-so to rah-rah) and the reviewer was not using a K20D, I consider the review to be obsolete and heavily discount it. The K20D is an technological paradigm shift that's priced fairly. It really moves the cheese...

4. Enjoy...
08-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My standard reply:

Take a look at these photos.

They were all taken with a K20D and with lenses none of which cost me over $70.

Used lenses are your friends. Used Takumar lenses are gifts from Heaven.

Great shots! May be an obvious question, but in your mind, are you basically saying that the shots are better because of the K20D, the Super Takumar lenses, or both? Would/could they be as good if using the K10D? Does this make sense?
08-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Great shots! May be an obvious question, but in your mind, are you basically saying that the shots are better because of the K20D, the Super Takumar lenses, or both? Would/could they be as good if using the K10D? Does this make sense?
All that is beyond my meager ability to assess.

My only point is that when one is buying a camera/lens system and is on a very restrictive budget, there are plenty of very good old lenses available which can tremendously reduce the monetary burden.

Some might take that info and buy a better body than they had initially thought possible, with the savings from not having to buy new lenses. Some might go the route of buying one hot new lens and filling in the rest with used glass. Others might come up with still other approaches.
08-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
One way of looking at it: No matter what body you buy it will be obsoleted by a new model sooner or later (which you will then crave for) whereas the lenses last! So perhaps go with the less expensive body now and get the glass you need.
Very good point - there was some article recently in a photo magazine talking about where to invest your cash, and they came to the conclusion that lenses is a place to splurge, whereas a body is a good place to save since the value comes down so quickly - it is like computers are now - the longer you wait, the more you get for your money.
08-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
...my .02 cent$ (US)...

1. Don't get hung up on lenses.

2. Buy a new K20D and a DA 40 Limited lens then STOP (Stretch, if you must, but don't buy anything else).

3. Learn them to death.

Once you have a feel for how they and you work together, you can always branch out lens-wise. Pentax "backward" lens compatibility gives you a more than a ton of choices, now and forever more. You can be as picky as you wish. You may flirt with other lenses, but in the end the DA 40 will be your 'old faithful.'

As to the K20D... its sensor is so good that it brings out the best in glass. In fact, when I read a lens review (blah to so-so to rah-rah) and the reviewer was not using a K20D, I consider the review to be obsolete and heavily discount it. The K20D is an technological paradigm shift that's priced fairly. It really moves the cheese...

4. Enjoy...

I'll add my endorsement to this advice, having gone thru something similar a little over a year ago. I bought the K10D with the DA 40 "pancake" lens, and have added several others as time progressed. But the DA 40 is an excellent starting point, as he said.