Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adobe camera raw update for K10 is here!

Adobe Photoshop - Digital camera raw file support

cheers

randy

02-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Downloaded it last night!
02-19-2007, 07:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
Downloaded it last night!
any difference in the quality between .pef and .dng that you could see so far?
might be a bit early to ask, but just had to

cheers beth!

randy
02-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

I can assure you there is totally NO difference between PEF and DNG. Just the file size.

02-19-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You know, I'm not sure yet. I shot a days worth of PEF's to find out, but all I've noticed so far is a bit smaller file size (the ability to then compress the DNG!). Seeing as I had to buy a large external hard drive yesterday, this is a plus.
02-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Adobe DNG converter is very good. It does nothing to the image info in the original file, just changes it to a different type of file and applies a lossless compression.

It is actually very easy to test quality differences and integrity if you have Photoshop. It may be just as easy in other apps, I just don't have them to describe the process. Pass a PEF throught the DNG converter, open both files in Photoshop, "shift" drag one copy onto the other (shift drag centers the dragged image onto the base so that they line up perfectly). Change the blend mode of the top layer to "difference". If the image goes black there are no differences, any spots of color indicate a loss of integrity. It the layers are not centered there will be very little black at all, make sure they are centered.
02-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #7

W00t...

ACR 3.6 opened K10D DNGs for me, but I was worried about PEFs, so I never tried to shoot PEFs.. but good to know that 3.7 will open them.. for the rare times I'm allowed to take the K10D shooting.

What sucks, however, is that ACR is *WAY* slower than RawShooter Essentials.. I wish they'd just add the K10D to it before it disappears forever

(and no, I'm not doing the whole hacked program thing that I've read about to get it to work.. I always destroy something trying to do that kind of thing)