Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I use primes for 90% of my photos. I enjoy their superior image quality, small size, extra speed, and that they make me work harder for my photos and produce better results.

Sometimes having to change lenses is a pain and sometimes so much so that a zoom is essential, but when I'm shooting for my own enjoyment (which is almost all the time) I much prefer primes.

The only zoom I use relatively frequently on digital is my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, or the WR kit lens if it's wet (not often). On my Canon EOS film gear I use the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 when I'm not shooting my 50mm f/1.8.

06-25-2017, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sabzijoon Quote
Who's a (mostly) prime only shooter?
I qualify... a few "Ladies" and no zooms.

Using only primes I've yet to be been eaten by Tigers (cos I look 'em in the eye) or fallen off cliffs (the wings from Red Bull help).

For ultra wide I use my “Mistress" (Pentax-A 15mm F3.5), on the K1s 111 ° Diag and 100 ° Horiz... I could touch the wall here with my left hand from this position.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-25-2017 at 12:28 AM.
06-25-2017, 12:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 25-06-17 at 09:20 AM ----------

I'm shuffling around some of my gear and am wondering who on here is a prime only or mostly prime only photographer?

Long story short, I've noticed that I enjoy using prime lenses a lot more than zoom lenses. I also don't use zoom lenses to their full potential, as I either step back and forth to adjust the frame while almost always just using the ends of the range on the zoom. I'm wondering if it's possible to get by with just primes. I suspect it is, and for some applications like macro work, they're really the only choice.
My APS-C Pentax cameras were primes only. With FF you don't have the same choice of small primes, so now all is back to zooms. I could do with 35/85 combo, but you have to go with old FA glass for a compromise or wait for f/1.4 alternatives from Pentax. 24-70 has won, but I am not totally happy with this option.
06-25-2017, 12:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use the 15, 21 and 70 limiteds plus the 35 and to a lesser extent 50 plastic fantastics. Always only bringing a subset when I'm out. I'm not sure why I prefer primes but there's something in the shooting experience rather than the result that appeals to me. I own a WR kit lens for when I want to photograph in the rain.

Most of my photography is self initiated and for those occasions I'd never use a zoom. When on a paid job (rarely) I do get a bit frustrated by changing lenses but then I never get "in the zone" the same way when on a paid job anyway so hard to know if the primes are really the cause of my irritation.

I photograph buildings and spaces so my subjects don't move much. The light and people crossing my frame do change quickly and are critical to my photography but I don't really feel I miss shots due to changing lenses. It's just the break of flow that's a bit of a concern.

06-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I sold off my Pentax consumer zooms in 2014 and bought the HD DA 21/40/70 stack of pancakes. Completed the stack later with the HD DA 15 & 35. Added the D FA 100 Macro WR for a little extra reach. Will add the HD DA 1.4 TC by Christmas. I love primes, the thought that goes into using them, the amazing drawing style of the HD DA Limited' and the mind blowing sharpness of D FA 100 WR. Street photography with a small prime kit is awesome. Landscape is deliberate enough for primes. When it comes to weddings and events you'll want zooms.

That being said I find there are times I wish I had a zoom to avoid lens changes. My solution will most likely be to add a second body as I can do that for less money than buying a couple of DA* lenses.
06-25-2017, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote

---------- Post added 25-06-17 at 09:20 AM ----------

My APS-C Pentax cameras were primes only. With FF you don't have the same choice of small primes, so now all is back to zooms. I could do with 35/85 combo, but you have to go with old FA glass for a compromise or wait for f/1.4 alternatives from Pentax. 24-70 has won, but I am not totally happy with this option.
Why is that? I understand the dilemma for ultrawide lenses, but surely the FA Limiteds are more than up to par.
06-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Whenever I'm out and about in changing conditions (I love events and street shooting) on FF I use combinations of the FA20-35, DFA 28-105 and Tamron 70-200.

On APS-C I pack the DA12-24, Sigma 17-50 and DA*50-135.

For slower, more methodical shoots, on APS-C I like my DA15, DA 40SX and DA70 Ltd.

On FF I choose between the Voigtlander 20mm f3.5 pancake, FA31 Ltd, DA*55 and FA77 Ltd.

For landscape I can call on the 14mm Samyang, for macro the DFA 100mm, and wildlife the FA*300 with 1.4TC - these primes all have specialized uses.

06-25-2017, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use generally use primes anytime I know what I am going to photograph but carry only 1 or 2 primes plus zooms for walking around.
06-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I'm shuffling around some of my gear and am wondering who on here is a prime only or mostly prime only photographer?

Long story short, I've noticed that I enjoy using prime lenses a lot more than zoom lenses. I also don't use zoom lenses to their full potential, as I either step back and forth to adjust the frame while almost always just using the ends of the range on the zoom. I'm wondering if it's possible to get by with just primes. I suspect it is, and for some applications like macro work, they're really the only choice.
If that is your style you can definitely get by with just primes. The only exception might be when you can't step back or forward but the only example of that I can think of is on a wildlife photography when you may be 'stuck' in one place (e.g. a hide or vehicle) relative to the subject.

Technical arguments aside, there is something unique about using just a prime. It leads to a greater delay of involvement as you have to work more to get just the right framing.

Last edited by Theov39; 06-25-2017 at 05:16 PM.
06-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Who's a (mostly) prime only shooter?
Not me. The DA*60-250 is the lens my collection of lenses is built around. It doesn't make any sense for me to carry lenses in that range. We've compared with our prime lenses and it's as sharp as any prime. I favour primes for macro. I doubt there's much available for macro zooms that compares with primes.

On a recent outing to Niagara Falls, I shot

60- 60-250 images.
20 FA 50 macro and DA*200 images.
10 FAJ 18-35 images
10 DA*200 and 50 macro images.
60 images A one lens hike with the 18-135
10 Tamron 300 images.

Of the keepers, 130 zooms, 40 prime images.
24% primes, 76% zooms.

On the bird side of things...over the same time period,

10 60-250. (birds in flight)
Then 70 DA*200s with the F 1.7 AF adapter.
Then 20 with the Tamron 300 and 1.7x
Then 10 more with the 60-250.

For birds, more than 70% prime.

I never even think about zoom or prime. Just "what's the best lens for the job." But for the focal lengths I shoot, shooting prime only would seriously crimp my style. It makes me wonder, what do you guys shoot, where you can get away just shooting primes?

The question I would ask would be, do you actually own any DA* quality zooms. Obviously if you don't own good quality zooms, you can't shoot with them, appropriate or not. I assume a preference for primes extends to not actually owning the zooms that might replace them in a particular circumstance.

My 28-105 and 60-250 are so good they only come off the camera for particular instances where length or macro are necessary.

Last edited by normhead; 06-25-2017 at 07:46 AM.
06-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000:
Another example is I am the designated photographer at family reunions. I will often just put a prime lens on and find a good spot for people to stop by and have their picture made. Inevitably they all hate it but also inevitably 4 or 5 years later or after someone dies I get asked for photos.
For family union, I would not have bothered to use prime or zoom at all. Nowadays, the cellular camera is more sophisticated than enough for such purpose. It is some what like a pin hole camera(in old days) with everything in focus.
06-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
For family union, I would not have bothered to use prime or zoom at all. Nowadays, the cellular camera is more sophisticated than enough for such purpose. It is some what like a pin hole camera(in old days) with everything in focus.
Now that I can relate to.
06-25-2017, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use the one zoom I have, but I'm getting a nearly irresistible urge to buy the 24-70.
One problem though, is I'm afraid that if I get one I'm going to decide I need a K-1 to go with it.
06-25-2017, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't use the one zoom I have, but I'm getting a nearly irresistible urge to buy the 24-70.
One problem though, is I'm afraid that if I get one I'm going to decide I need a K-1 to go with it.
Ya well, even apart from that, how long do you think you can really hold out?
I look at the K-1 as a huge cost savings. It saved me from getting a 645 system.

Some advice from dadipentak who has owned both turned my head around on that one.
06-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I do probably 99% of my pictures with prime lenses. The only zoom I own is an ancient Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 which sees very occasional use.