Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

TOP 10 compact DSLR. So what according to you are the TOP 10 compact APS-C and FF?

Make a list everyone! I would love to see your opinion! You can include other brands!

06-24-2017, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not a (compact) DSLR, but if I had to take only one small camera with me, it would be my Canon G15.

The image quality is great, and the aperture ranges from f 1.8 to 2.8 over the entire zoom range. This is my wife's camera while I am shooting the big iron (K3 and K1) and she always gets great pictures.
06-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

looks like i cant place Olympus on the list. So if i cant say olympus then Id probably say. Pentax k-1, a7rii, fuji xt2, pentax k-3, fuji xt20, sony 6500, then anything else cause i havent really tried any other apsc or ff camera.

06-25-2017, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Yes by the OPs title, any FF, APSC or M43 DSLM cannot be included.
Which is rather silly because they should be as the OMD range of M43 DSLMs are near-as dammit the same size as their historical 35mm (FF) SLR OMs...

06-25-2017, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Make a list everyone! I would love to see your opinion! You can include other brands!
What is your definition (dimensions) of "compact"? I presume this is referring to dimensions of the DSLR and not the weight? In general, smaller DSLRs give up lots of great features like twin wheel controls, pentaprisms, battery life, etc. The biggest overall factor is often the choice of lenses, and in this regard, Pentax limited primes are certainly compact in size.

For FSLR the nod goes to Olympus. For medium format DSLR, hard to beat the 645Z. For APS-C, the K-S2 with its compact 18-50mm easily outshines the Canon Rebels and the Nikon 3000 series. For FF itʻs a wash between the Canon 6D, the Pentax K1, with the Nikon D610 as the lightest.

In general, Iʻve always gravitated to the larger SLRs for quality. The only exception is the Pentax 645, as it was the only medium format small and compact enough with a couple primes that I felt I could carry on my travels all day long.
06-25-2017, 04:29 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Nikon P7700, a Samsung Mini-NX and a Canon G7X.

I've liked them all and have just ordered the Ricoh GR II after looking at the owners" pics and thoughts in this forum.

06-25-2017, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

How many here would have enough experience of all the different makes and models to be able to produce a top ten? I don't - I have not used digital FF and have used only a few DSLRs, all Pentax APS-C models, so I'll get my coat now. However, just before I go - from that limited experience my compact DSLR top ten entries would each be the K-70 body with a different Pentax prime, and also including the 20-40 zoom.

Cheers.
Philip

06-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
It's not a (compact) DSLR, but if I had to take only one small camera with me, it would be my Canon G15.

The image quality is great, and the aperture ranges from f 1.8 to 2.8 over the entire zoom range. This is my wife's camera while I am shooting the big iron (K3 and K1) and she always gets great pictures.
I have read the reviews. It's an amazing camera!

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
looks like i cant place Olympus on the list. So if i cant say olympus then Id probably say. Pentax k-1, a7rii, fuji xt2, pentax k-3, fuji xt20, sony 6500, then anything else cause i havent really tried any other apsc or ff camera.
You know I was talking about DSLR with compact dimensions. Not mirrorless. Because mirrorless are already small. So I didn't include them. Cause it would defeat the purpose of this post.

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 09:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes by the OPs title, any FF, APSC or M43 DSLM cannot be included.
Which is rather silly because they should be as the OMD range of M43 DSLMs are near-as dammit the same size as their historical 35mm (FF) SLR OMs...
Don't think Olympus DSLRS are that compact. They're rather big for a camera with small sensors. Never held myself. But I have seen the dimensions and read a lot of reviews. It's not like it's mirrorless series, which are quite tiny. I only wanted DSLRS because, it takes a lot hard work to make small DSLRS. You know the mirror takes up a lot of space. So we rarely see compact ones.

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 09:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
What is your definition (dimensions) of "compact"? I presume this is referring to dimensions of the DSLR and not the weight? In general, smaller DSLRs give up lots of great features like twin wheel controls, pentaprisms, battery life, etc. The biggest overall factor is often the choice of lenses, and in this regard, Pentax limited primes are certainly compact in size.

For FSLR the nod goes to Olympus. For medium format DSLR, hard to beat the 645Z. For APS-C, the K-S2 with its compact 18-50mm easily outshines the Canon Rebels and the Nikon 3000 series. For FF itʻs a wash between the Canon 6D, the Pentax K1, with the Nikon D610 as the lightest.

In general, Iʻve always gravitated to the larger SLRs for quality. The only exception is the Pentax 645, as it was the only medium format small and compact enough with a couple primes that I felt I could carry on my travels all day long.
Well the Pentax K-S2 is a really compact DSLR, so is the KP and K-70 but they all have pentaprism. I was talking about dimensions, you know, I was talking about DSLR with compact dimensions, don't need to include weight. Canon SL1, Pentax K-S2, k- S1, Pentax KP, Pentax K-70, Nikon D-3300, Nikon D610, etc etc

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
How many here would have enough experience of all the different makes and models to be able to produce a top ten? I don't - I have not used digital FF and have used only a few DSLRs, all Pentax APS-C models, so I'll get my coat now. However, just before I go - from that limited experience my compact DSLR top ten entries would each be the K-70 body with a different Pentax prime, and also including the 20-40 zoom.

Cheers.
Philip
The idea was to include as many as possible from experience. You need to make a list of 10 of you can't. Just contribute!
06-25-2017, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would personally not claim to have a valid opinion, and I'd be sceptical of anyone who does. Especially since reading what the top best shockproof waterproof cameras were, ordering a Nokpn Coolpix AW130 and not particularly liking it, They didn't review Pentax because they said the new Pentax was essentially the same as the one before it, yet I find myself preferring my Pentax Optio 90W to the Nikon, even with all the new bells and whistles. My question to the OP would be, unless someone has some serious experience with all of the cameras, of what value would their opinion be?

Or is this marketing research, to see what affect various ad campaigns are achieving?

Last edited by normhead; 06-25-2017 at 11:11 AM.
06-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would personally not claim to have a valid opinion, and I'd be sceptical of anyone who does. Especially since reading what the top best shockproof waterproof cameras were, ordering a Nokpn Coolpix AW130 and not particularly liking it, They didn't review Pentax because they said the new Pentax was essentially the same as the one before it, yet I find myself preferring my Pentax Option 90W to the Nikon, even with all the new bells and whistles. My question to the OP would be, unless someone has some serious experience with all of the cameras, of what value would their opinion be?

Or is this marketing research, to see what affect various ad campaigns are achieving?
It is more of personal research. Sometimes there's a need for other people's opinion.
06-25-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

The way I see it compactness of the body means nothing when you have to attach huge lenses to it, that's the reason why I am not interested in FF cameras anymore, I have used Canon's 5D and 6D and they can be considered compact when you compare them to the 1D series, but - personally - when I have decided that I wanted compactness I have chosen a KP, the 100D is a great camera and I have been tempted to wait for its upfated version which is to be released soon, but in the end Canon has a very limited number of native APS-C lenses.
So I repeat myself: if you want compactness you need to consider both camera and available lenses and from this perspective - since you are excluding mirrorless - nobody beats Pentax bodies and APS-C lenses, maybe someone wishing to use only the two consumer STM zooms could be even happier with a 100D.
06-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
The way I see it compactness of the body means nothing when you have to attach huge lenses to it, that's the reason why I am not interested in FF cameras anymore, I have used Canon's 5D and 6D and they can be considered compact when you compare them to the 1D series, but - personally - when I have decided that I wanted compactness I have chosen a KP, the 100D is a great camera and I have been tempted to wait for its upfated version which is to be released soon, but in the end Canon has a very limited number of native APS-C lenses.
So I repeat myself: if you want compactness you need to consider both camera and available lenses and from this perspective - since you are excluding mirrorless - nobody beats Pentax bodies and APS-C lenses, maybe someone wishing to use only the two consumer STM zooms could be even happier with a 100D.
I do agree Pentax APS-C's are the best! I would not consider Pentax a budget brand. I would rather say it's a non capitalist company. We get what we pay for! Pentax FF is also the best semi pro ever! It beats every camera with in a 1000$ of it's price range!
06-25-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #13

Relative to other manufacturers, my top 10 compact cameras are:
1) K-1,
2) K-3ii,
3) K-S2,
4) K-50
5) K-01,
6) K-5,
7) K-r,
8) K10D,
9) K-x
10) *istD

Yea, I know, one of these is not DSLR but compact they all are,

And when I really want super compact ILC: the Q and Q-7.
06-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Relative to other manufacturers, my top 10 compact cameras are:
1) K-1,
2) K-3ii,
3) K-S2,
4) K-50
5) K-01,
6) K-5,
7) K-r,
8) K10D,
9) K-x
10) *istD

Yea, I know, one of these is not DSLR but compact they all are,

And when I really want super compact ILC: the Q and Q-7.
The K-3ii is not compact, neither is k-5. I think the in their place you should choose the KP and K-70. Canon EOS SL1 would have been great addition too. But it's simply my opinion. And the rest I agree with you.
06-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
I would not consider Pentax a budget brand.
when you put build quality into the equation Pentax wins hands down, with Pentax you can get a friendly price, compactness and a build quality which rivals a 5D series