Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Thanks for that. I''l keep my eye open although they don't tend to come up too often and are pricy, even second hand.
Consider the 360, which is the same in functionality, but with less maximum power:

Pentax AF 360FGZ Shoe Mount Flash for For Pentax 27075051188 | eBay

06-25-2017, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A second hand Pentax 540 so you won't have to worry as much about future compatibility. I have a pair of them from eBay.
+1 to this, the older 540 FGZ (and its smaller 360 brother) are brilliant flashes. They lack the WR of the Mk II models, and are larger, but they come with A mode (dropped on the Mk II) which as already described uses a sensor built into the flash. A mode means manual lenses are no problem, and you can have automation without the P-TTL preflash. I find A mode's results to be as good as P-TTL.

If you are patient you can snap up a bargain - I got mine for $140AU off eBay last year, pretty happy with that. It even came with a 3m extension cord (which is a rip off if bought on its own).

Last edited by GodsPetMonkey; 06-25-2017 at 07:22 PM.
07-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank for the input guys ! I don't shoot studio and rarely use flash, but when I do I want one that has some basic automation such as sensor auto or *TTL, I have couple ancient gigantic Sun Pak flash already, but looking for a new flash that will work on both the K3 and the Super A with *TTL. Recently I saw the Metz M400, I like the low profile, tilt and rotating zoom head, but I don't know if it will work TTL on the Super A and it is not cheap, beside that I don't see other made similar to this at lower cost.
07-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I checked and couldn't find one flash old and new that compatible with both SLR and DSLR with *TTL, if I can carry only one flash then I might go for the old school sensor flash, at least it is easier to use than manual flash !

07-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #20

Might be Metz with interchangeable SCA modules.
I do not know if Metz still manufactures SCA for Pentax (manual -> AF film -> digital).
You'd be better off having two separate units, film/TTL are cheap on auctions.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I checked and couldn't find one flash old and new that compatible with both SLR and DSLR with *TTL
07-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Bunch of used Pentax 540 flashes here with 180 day warranty and usually free shipping. I buy here often. Condition ratings are accurate. UsedPhotoPro
Thanks for the tip, is this the only one support both *TTL modes ?

Btw, remember in the old days, most flashes are rated at 35mm instead of 50mm, or even 105mm, for example the Metz 45CT4 is GN 45@35mm/ISO100 etc., I actually tested it with a flash meter and a gray card and I got slightly over 45 in manual mode, where most other made are lower than published figure. Since the output power of the flash is governed by the size of the flash tube and the capacitor, those 'tiny' hotshoe flash claimed to produce say GN 50 is no double in zoomed mode, simply by look at the size of the flash unit we can tell roughly what we can get from it.