Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Full Frame Pentax a pipe dream?

Personally I would love to see a full frame Pentax dSLR.

I'm a Canon user, I own no Pentax cameras, only Pentax K mount lenses (adapted to my Canon ).

I love the 5D, my gf's aunt has one (and a Mamiya 6x7....), always wanted the 5D, problem is, I also love Sigma lenses, there are some excellent lenses... just with no stabilisation (and a few excellent with!), I love body stabilisation, especially since I only own one "digital" lens (the Sigma 12-24mm, which I use on my EOS 30D and my EOS 500N film camera).

Im a Bachelor Degree student studying Film Production, but I do take my photography seriously.

-The- lens Im saving for is the Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6, I'd love stabilisation on this, am considering a Pentax body just for this lens (when you consider the price of this lens is around $9k, an extra $1k for the K20D (or whatever is out at the time) isn't a huge difference :P), can always just keep that as a dedicated tele setup

If a full frame Pentax came out before I've gotten myself a 5D, I think I'd probably jump on that (as long as it had body stabilisation).

Btw Pentaxians.. Ive been stealing all your Takumar lenses from pawn shops and the like and using them on my Canon! >

lol

p.s.: I had a nasty dream about my camera last night about it being dropped underwater (ive had this dream every few months, just different scenarios of it happening!).

I was shooting with my 12-24 on a rock in the local river, and the tide came up a few metres in mere seconds, i scrambled to get out, my camera got dumped into the river in the process

when i came back for it, and pulled it out, the 12-24 had its petal hood and front lens element snapped off, the canon body still worked... (probably my pre-conception, as ive had the 30D out in heavy hard rain for 30+ min shooting a few times, and my EOS 500N... brought that out of the bag in the same conditions... it died in less than 15 seconds... got it to work a few days later, but to this day autofocus on the 500N is broken.. it hunts for AF.. but never finds it!)

08-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

There may be one in the pipeline, but no one "really" knows.

Even if there is, I suspect it will be some time before it's a reality. Not all of us Pentaxians are fervent FF fans, many would prefer to see a high end APS-C body instead.

I think you are stuck with C & N and later on Sony (maybe) if you want to stay within FF.
08-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nikon is a big no-no for adapting lenses.

I'll wait and hope.

But I think I may end up with a K20D if I get that 300-800 in the future, as the stabilisation would be welcome...
08-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Banned

you dang canon users stealing all of our lenses....

08-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah - I got a razor sharp 135mm f/2.5 pentax on my canon
08-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Athiril Quote
Nikon is a big no-no for adapting lenses.

I'll wait and hope.

But I think I may end up with a K20D if I get that 300-800 in the future, as the stabilisation would be welcome...
Stabilisation on a 300-800? Can you hand hold that beast??!!!!

That lens weighs 6kg and is HUGE! I's almost mandatory to use a tripod with that beast. You could use a monopod I suppose and there the DR could be of some benefit I suppose.

Another thought, with the K20D you will have a 1.5 crop factor so you could benefit from a smaller lens such as the Bigma (or the newly announced 150-500) to get the same FOV compared to a FF camera. You'd also save a huge amount from your bank balance!