Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Gauging hand grip K5 / KS2 / Nikon D5300 / D5600

My daughter has used my K-5 a bit, usually with a F35-70 although I also got her to try the 18-55 WR. She's found the camera a bit heavy at times, especially with a flash mounted on top. On playing with it some more, one of the main issues she flagged was that her thumb doesn't sit comfortably along the back because of the size of the grip, and she finds her hand gets easily fatigued.

So we went camera shopping today, except that it was with the knowledge that the local store doesn't stock anything Pentax, so we were mainly going to look at other manufacturers to see what felt right. It was less about specs and features and mostly about feel. Started with the Canon (either T5 or T5i) which she ruled out because an elevated ridge line along the back felt wrong against her palm. For curiosity and just to try something really different we also tried the Sony A6000. For the few seconds I played with it, it seemed like a neat little camera.

The best we found came from the Nikon range, and here it was interesting to compare. We looked at the D3400, but spent most of the time with a D5300 and D5600 (which is similar in size to the D3400). In going to the newer models Nikon has shrunk the size of the hand grip and we both found the older D5300 more comfortable to hold. (On a side note, Nikon also changed the shutter button on the newer models to match the material of the surrounding ring, and made the wheel less bumpy - both things that make the camera harder to use in the dark or by feel alone.)

I don't think either of us are keen for her to buy the Nikon. While I don't have a lot of high end Pentax glass, I've picked up a fair range of low end or older stuff. She really likes working with the F35-70 as the "macro" mode suits her for when she photographs her jewellery creations. But it is hard to buy a KS2 sight unseen since we'd likely have to order it and probably from somewhere not local to get a decent price.

We'd be interested if anyone else has compared the KS2 grip feel to other cameras and which ones seem most similar and any other useful thoughts you may have. I guess the other question lurking in my mind is if we bought the KS2 and it didn't work for her, whether I'd want to use it as a backup or second body with the K5 (mainly for shooting events on a volunteer basis) or if I'm might find it a less than ideal second body.

06-25-2017, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have small hands for a guy, the K-s2 has thiner grip, than say my old K-R or K200D, it feels less fat.
K-s2 white body and K200D black body
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
06-26-2017, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 16yo daughter just got a K-S2, she has, until now, been using my K-70.
The grip on the K-S2 is smaller and she says the K-S2 is easier for her to handle.
I was considering buying her a K5-II, but ended up with the K-S2, I did consider size/weight.
She's very happy with the K-S2, and I'm happy she's happy 😊
06-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
I have small hands for a guy, the K-s2 has thiner grip, than say my old K-R or K200D, it feels less fat.
K-s2 white body and K200D black body
Thank you @seagas for taking the photos. We did pretty much the same comparison of the D5300 and D5600 in the store, so I could show her how much the grip had changed between the two.

@DrawsACircle - my daughter is about the same age so your input is very helpful.