Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is it time to jump ship? (Upgrading k100d)

My k100d has made me VERY happy for, wow.... 10 YEARS NOW! But I am wanting to get a new camera that will shoot video as well, and some in the family are interested in vlogging. I figured I would just get whatever is today's equivalent of the k100d, assuming it would do what I want, but it looks like that's not the case? I was literally about to push "buy now" on Amazon for a k-s1, but something made me decide to look into it further and I realized there is no autofocus in video mode, which seems impratical, as I think even our cheap travel Olympus TG-860 autofocuses when taking video?

So now I feel stuck, which led me back here.... 10 years later! I hate to jump from pentax because I have some great lenses and I would have to start all over again, but the Canon t6 is really tempting as it's reasonably priced and seems to do everything I want it to do. Any thoughts?

06-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The price looks great until the time comes to rebuild your lens collection.
06-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Canon DSLRs with Dual Pixel sensors do well at video. Mirrorless might be your best bet. Take a look at the Panasonic G85, Sony A6300/A6500, & other mirrorless offerings.

The Pentax K-70 with the 55-300 PLM is kinda OK, but still behind other camera makers in video.
06-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
My k100d has made me VERY happy for, wow.... 10 YEARS NOW! But I am wanting to get a new camera that will shoot video as well, and some in the family are interested in vlogging. I figured I would just get whatever is today's equivalent of the k100d, assuming it would do what I want, but it looks like that's not the case? I was literally about to push "buy now" on Amazon for a k-s1, but something made me decide to look into it further and I realized there is no autofocus in video mode, which seems impratical, as I think even our cheap travel Olympus TG-860 autofocuses when taking video?

So now I feel stuck, which led me back here.... 10 years later! I hate to jump from pentax because I have some great lenses and I would have to start all over again, but the Canon t6 is really tempting as it's reasonably priced and seems to do everything I want it to do. Any thoughts?
The K-S1 does have on-demand video AF. However, the new K-70 (which is what I would recommend) adds continuous AF when paired with a DC or PLM lens. I don't think any other DSLR can beat that camera's image quality, either, for the price. The K-70 is an amazing value.

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, the K-S1 seems really cool, but try getting one of the newer models like K-70 or even KP. These should allow you to use PLM lenses and give you.. slightly better video functionality.
I looked into m43 and Oly some months ago, but it didn't make economical sense. Those cameras are not cheap, and their lenses are even more expensive (and can be quite big, as well)
So if you have a decent set of lenses, stick to Pentax K.
If you want to do video, then think of switching to Sony or Canon. Better yet, get a camcorder.

I don't do much video and my old Pentax cameras are good enough for what little I do. And I've even seen some stunningly good video taken with Pentax DSLRs. Check the video subforum - skills, lights, planning, video rigs are really important.

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2017 at 02:07 ----------

really tempting as it's reasonably priced and seems to do everything I want it to do. Any thoughts?
Temptation is everywhere. Make a list of your priorities, then check which cameras/systems can meet them, and count up the cost of switching to that system.

Edit: Also, go to a store and handhold the cameras you are interested in. To me, the lower and Canikon feels pretty terrible; not as sturdy and intuitive as Pentax cameras

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-29-2017 at 05:24 PM.
06-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is your main use going to be video or stills? If video, then the Canon has an edge. But if it is stills, I would go with the K-S2.

Your lenses are an investment, and if youʻre thinking more long term....another great 10 year camera, then I would recommend saving for a K-70.

BTW: Canon T6? Not weather-sealed. Kit lens not weather-sealed. Darker smaller pentamirror viewfinder. No SR and have to buy more expensive IS lenses. Single control wheel. Have you picked one up? Do you like the feel and fit to your hands?
06-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Any thoughts?
The Pentaxes I have owned K5IIs, K3 and now K1 are not great at video work when it comes to needing autofocus. There are pro video shooter on this forum who use the K1 along side much more expensive dedicated video gear but they do mostly manuals focus work.

When it came to video. I looked beyond Pentax. I tried the Sony 6000 first. When I needed 4K, I moved to Panasonic. I got a used GX8 and a used 12-35 f2.8 (24-70 equivalent), for a total of jut over $1,000. The combo is fantastic for video work .What surprised me was the still image quality. I am a Pentax K1 shooter. The GX8 is no match for K1 but for non-critical work, I will use it in a heartbeat. Panasonic lags behind Sony in autofocus capability. If you want the best autofocus, Sony is the best at it.

This whole camera business it so confusing because all the manufacturers make great stuff. You can hardly go wrong with any brand these days. I guess it is a matter of budget and the exact needs you have that decide which direction to take.

06-29-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you want a camera for stills, video features should be the least of your concerns. If you want a camera for video only, buy a camcorder. If you want a camera for mostly video and some stills with excellent quality, buy a Lumix. If you want to buy based on a check list, buy a Rebel...any Rebel. Checklists are Canon's game with the Rebel line and there are many happy owners, though my Canon-shooting friends typically have never owned a Rebel.

As noted above, it is hard to go wrong with any brand, unless you know what you need.

Steve

(...if buying a consumer-grade dSLR for a family member (video as a secondary feature), it would be Pentax first (best value overall), closely followed by Nikon...)
06-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I continue to believe that though some DSLRs are quite good at video, this means video clips. An SD card has only so much memory and a DSLR is designed essentially for still photography. So having some video clip capability is fine, but that is secondary to having a DSLR for what it is. Then for making home videos, a video cam is always the best way to go.

As for a DSLR, a K-S2 is a big step up from a K100D. It is still small and lightweight yet having WR, a very fine 20mp sensor, exceptionally well-built, 2-dial operation, the full Pentax Hyper System, a pull-out articulating LCD screen, and much more. Very fine image quality. The K-70 is even more advanced, but a bit heavier.
06-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
some in the family are interested in vlogging.

Let them get their own camera! Video seems very enticing but when you are a photographer of many years you''l use the video function very rarely once the novelty wears of. It's another ballgame. Vlogging can be done with any smartphone. Pentaxes don't like to vlog, they won't focus right and it will be a pain.
06-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions and opinions. This has been incredibly helpful. I am going to cross the Canon off the list. I have delved more into this whole thing now with the guidance given by everyone, and I am leaning heavily towards a lumix or the Sony a6000--yikes pricey. I hadn't considered the mirrorless option and after reading all your responses and researching a bit more, I think it may be our best option. We are super active outdoorsy, and also city-traveling, type people and I often don't bother to bring my camera because I don't want to deal with carrying it, but I always wished I had it instead of my phone or our point-n-shoot because of the better image quality. ...and I also just like the feel and the experience of shooting with my DSLR.

Of course, I had also been convinced into upgrading to the k-70 as well, so it looks like there may be 2 new cameras in my future ;-)
06-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter

i am/was just in the same boat so let me share with you while i log back in here to sell my pentax gear:

don't waste your time with pentax for video. the k-70 is not even close to competing with similarly priced cameras from manufacturers that are video-centric. i started with a pentax k100d because i make stop-motion video, and the pentax was great, but now that i am doing live video as well, my pentax isnt just bad, its useless. don't listen to anyone on this forum who doesnt actually work with video. pentax doesn't shoot raw video, which means you cant do much post p4ocessing or color grading at all. terrible compression, no s-log, no exposure-correct framerates, no nothing. it's complete consumer grade video. auto-focus doesnt matter for video because unless you are shooting something for purely anecdotal reasons, you will use manual focus. panasonic gh series or sony a7/6500 or canon if you want a camera/vid hybrid, thats what a majority of the videogrqphers shoot with (also blackmagic, but thats not really a stills camera) and they take photos just as well as comperable pentax's. perso ally i am getting ready to sell my pentax gear and get either an a7s or a cheaper 60fps(!) rx100, because i waited till the full frame was announced, was let down with no video again, and at this point although i love pentax its just unreasonable to continue using a system that doesnt do video.
06-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Cameras like K-S1 and K-70 are really compact, so you probably won't have much trouble taking it, with a lens or two, on a hike. I traveled up volcanoes, in deserts, in Alps, with a messenger bag, three to five lenses, and a K-01 (super compact, love it). With DA limited lenses you get very compact overall package.
Sony has compact mirrorless, but many of their lenses are rather big and heavy. Look at the whole package

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-30-2017 at 12:06 PM.
06-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy a K-70 for yourself, then buy the Panasonic TZ90/ZS70 for a compact VLOGing situation.

Both will do a great job.
06-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have done video work and occasionally still do. I have always employed a separate video cam except for casual short clips. I too shot with a K-100D for some time until I upgraded to the K-200D. Now I use my K-5 IIs, or my K-S2, or my new KP- depending on the situation. The main thing that makes a DSLR a DSLR is it has an optical viewfinder. Looking through it is looking directly at the real thing. It also is better for steady holding and less fatigue, than is holding a camera away from your body while looking at an electronic representation of reality on an LCD screen. Of course, you can use the screen the same way with a DSLR as well, if conditions require it. A DSLR remains the most precision tool for still photography. Pentax has lately been offering their entire lineup all having a pro-grade pentaprism VF with 100% field of view, and exceptional build quality with weather sealing (WR), unlike other brands at their entry-level class and price, which have the cheaper pentamirror VF design, 1-dial operation, and no WR. The pro-grade glass VF is more costly than a pentamirror design- which your K-100D has, and it does add more to the camera weight. To get such quality in other brands' lineup you're looking at around $1,000+ for the body and another $1,000+ for a lens with WR.

I just checked prices at B&H. If a compact lightweight setup is a priority, I suggest you check their listing, and the specs of their offering of a K-S2 with the unique, amazingly compact 18-50mm kit lens for only $549! This is actually less than the K100D with the old kit lens was 10 years back! And that was at the dollar value back then! The K-S2 is far more capable and far more advanced than the K-100D. Very fine image quality. It has the pro-style VF and 2-dial operation. It also has a fully-articulating LCD screen for shooting from extreme angles, and for doing selfies even with another person or two using a wide-angle lens setting. The unique camera design switches the top wifi button to a second shutter-release button in the right position for holding the camera in reverse with the LCD screen turned to reverse direction for doing these selfies! Both the camera and lens are designed having WR, yet it is actually smaller and even a bit lighter than your K-100D! I bought mine with that little kit lens and I like its performance, and its amazingly compact carrying, even though I have a collection of very expensive lenses, including Limited primes. This little lens has fast, quiet, accurate AF. Its mechanism to retract it for compact carrying is a little fiddly and takes getting used to, but I found that no big deal. This lens usually sells separately for nearly $300! Nice to be able to fit both an advanced APS-C DSLR and a zoom lens, a very versatile package with WR, into a large jacket pocket!

If you go for a new Pentax DSLR, I recommend getting a couple of extra batteries. I got the Watson brand and they seem fine. I also recommend setting the sharpening in the custom menu to "fine" sharpening for best results.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-30-2017 at 02:39 PM.