Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

j
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
My k100d has made me VERY happy for, wow.... 10 YEARS NOW! But I am wanting to get a new camera that will shoot video as well, and some in the family are interested in vlogging. I figured I would just get whatever is today's equivalent of the k100d, assuming it would do what I want, but it looks like that's not the case? I was literally about to push "buy now" on Amazon for a k-s1, but something made me decide to look into it further and I realized there is no autofocus in video mode, which seems impratical, as I think even our cheap travel Olympus TG-860 autofocuses when taking video?

So now I feel stuck, which led me back here.... 10 years later! I hate to jump from pentax because I have some great lenses and I would have to start all over again, but the Canon t6 is really tempting as it's reasonably priced and seems to do everything I want it to do. Any thoughts?
If you are using k100d, then it is time to upgrade but not to jump ship. As mentioned above K70 is a great choice.
I have k100d then upgraded to k20d . Now my main gear is k70

Last edited by danielchtong; 07-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.
07-02-2017, 01:45 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I hate to jump from Pentax
It's about getting the right equipment to do the job you need, it's not a loyalty thing in any way... so don't feel bad.

So many here run multiple systems for these reasons.
07-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dominikkolendo Quote
don't listen to anyone on this forum who doesnt actually work with video.
@LaurenOE...are you prepared to add your piece?

P.S. dominik, be sure you don't go too deep with your non-Pentax investment. Portland has thousands of would-be video giants that are barely scraping by doing weddings with a Lumix.
07-16-2017, 12:35 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
P.S. dominik, be sure you don't go too deep with your non-Pentax investment. Portland has thousands of would-be video giants that are barely scraping by doing weddings with a Lumix.
i don't understand your comment... are you saying i should stay with pentax because so many others are using lumix?

07-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

i don't understand your comment... are you saying i should stay with pentax because so many others are using lumix?
No, I am suggesting (tongue-in-cheek) that the competition is furious and that even your choice of tool (mine too, if I were videocentric) may not pay the bills.*

I attempted to draw LaurenOE into the discussion because she makes her living as a salaried videographer in the corporate setting. Pentax dSLRs are part of her active tool kit along with dedicated video cams. Go figure, eh? Yes, ask somebody's opinion who actually does video (your opening comment). Well, Lauren has as much street cred of anyone I know. Her comments on the thread linked below are helpful...

What do you guys do for video? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Steve

* The people I know who are trying to break into video are doing mostly weddings and other event gigs, even after many years of effort.
07-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter

No, I am suggesting (tongue-in-cheek) that the competition is furious and that even your choice of tool (mine too, if I were videocentric) may not pay the bills.*

* The people I know who are trying to break into video are doing mostly weddings and other event gigs, even after many years of effort.
ah, ok i understand now, thank you for the clarification.
i don't have any interest in being hired to do video gigs, though.
but to be more relevant to the original topic: you even said she has dedicated videocams. so it sounds like she isn't using her pentax for video.

Last edited by dominikkolendo; 07-16-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: shorten quote to relevancy
07-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

ah, ok i understand now, thank you for the clarification.
i don't have any interest in being hired to do video gigs, though.
but to be more relevant to the original topic: you even said she has dedicated videocams. so it sounds like she isn't using her pentax for video.
Read through the linked thread. It is long, but Lauren explains exactly how she uses her K-3 and K-1 cams.

Steve

07-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Read through the linked thread. It is long, but Lauren explains exactly how she uses her K-3 and K-1 cams.

Steve
sounds like lauren has quite the setup.
thanks for sharing.