Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Good checklist on the *istD vs D40.
Thank you...

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
But... "as far as cropping goes: if you take the photo right at the first time, then you don't have to crop." NOW I have to take issue...

That's simply a silly argument. Sorry, can't sugar-coat it. That's like saying...
I don't know, pick your analogy:

1) If you set your exposure right the first time, you don't need bracketing!
- well, yeah, but isn't it nice to have bracketing as an option?
Call me a jackass if you want, but I still have to try/use bracketing for the first time. I confess, that is just me...

QuoteQuote:
2) If you time your shot absolutely perfectly, you never need to take more than one shot of any moving subject!
- True. How stupid of me.
If you want to say that you just have to shoot away to get the perfect shot, then I feel obliged to wake you out of your dream: suppose that an action takes 1 second and that 'the perfect shot' takes 1/100s and let's suppose you take a shot 1/125s f/8. This is supposed to be what normally happens in real live (I can give you many examples.) Well, even if you have a camera with 10 fps (do you know many camera's like that?) ) then in that second you will cover *only* 1/13s of that second, which means that even if you have a camera with 10 fps you have 87% chance of missing. With the K20 you that is even 97%!
I already said it here, and will repeat it many times: the only way to make the perfect shot is anticipating and firing at the prefect time, not firing away. 1 fps or 10 fps doesn't even make that much of a difference, the only thing that changes is how fast you memory card fills...

QuoteQuote:
3) If you put the right lens on your camera the first time, you don't need to change it!
- True. How stupid of me. I'm simply talent-free.
I'm sorry: but what a l**d of cr*p. Some scenes ask for a wide angle, others as for a telephoto, and by now about everyone knows that a prime gives better quality than a zoom...

QuoteQuote:
4) If the military would just learn to aim, they wouldn't need automatic weapons!
- True. But someone's got to support the bullet-industrial-complex.
If there would be peace there would not be any need of the military...

QuoteQuote:
5) If you just pick the correct lottery number the first time, you wouldn't have to keep buying tickets! Duh!
- Agreed, I don't know why folks don't get this either.
Can you give me the numbers please...?

QuoteQuote:
The ability to crop has been in the photographer's toolkit since long before digital. It's an important part of the craft - ask Ansel Adams' ghost, anyone. If you refuse to use it or discount a sensor's ability to allow it because it's distasteful to you.... well, you're just limiting yourself.

The ability to crop moderatly I agree yes. But not till you make a telephoto out of a wide angle...

08-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #47
Veteran Member

cool, does this mean you will be selling your FA35?
08-21-2008, 03:18 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have the FA 35, and the DA 35 ltd that I had is already spoken for (will be normally sold tomorrow.)
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #49
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I like K10D because it's big, even bigger with grip, with the size of my paws I need something to hang onto.