Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2017, 02:19 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax KP Review Posted!

For those who were waiting to learn more about how the Pentax KP performs, our in-depth review is now live!

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

I was waiting for the review to decide to replace or not my K7. While KP seems an excellent camera, the lack of infrared remore control is a deal breaker for me. Very strange this omission!
07-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #3

Dear Adam, could you please be more specific on how KP can be controlled by a smartphone. I just cannot accept that I* have to use a cable to control the camera!. This is archaic!
07-04-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gkey Quote
I was waiting for the review to decide to replace or not my K7. While KP seems an excellent camera, the lack of infrared remote control is a deal breaker for me. Very strange this omission!
Agreed. I packed an IR remote for my Italian trip with the KP, assuming it would work, only to find that it wouldn't. Doh!

But what the hell - it's still an awesome camera. Low light is in the same ballpark as the K-1. I'll have to try it with the WiFi control.

07-04-2017, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Dear Adam, could you please be more specific on how KP can be controlled by a smartphone. I just cannot accept that I* have to use a cable to control the camera!. This is archaic!
You need an app - on iOS it is called Image Sync, same name on Android I guess - and it works beautifully and when I say beautifully I mean that I have used similar apps from Canon, Olympus and Panasonic and it had never been so easy to connect and manoeuvre the camera from the smartphone!
I have always owned remote controls for my cameras, first cable ones, then IR ones, but why spend money when a free app on a tool you have always with you can do the same thing?

As for the review, I appreciate the effort but to insist on the lack of the top display makes little sense to me:
1 - this camera is supposed to be SFF, to achieve that some compromises are necessary.
2 - the rear LCD behaves like a top display, as a fact it contains even more information than that

Customization is fantastic, the only minor disappointment on this regard is the lack of options for WB since it cannot be assigned outside its own button on the four way controller. I guess this will be annoying to JPEG shooters, another minor drawback - always for jpeg shooters - is that you have 5 U memories but you cannot store with them the settings that are useful for SOOC images. Nonetheless in terms of UI and handling the KP is the best camera I've ever had, I am already thinking to buy another one by the end of the year
07-04-2017, 06:18 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For those who were waiting to learn more about how the Pentax KP performs, our in-depth review is now live!

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Adam,
thanks a lot for the review.
I received my KP about 4 hours ago.
My DA 18-135 DC should be able to focus continuously (AF.C) in movie mode - but the menu gives me a message that the lens can't do it.
I have tested a KP in a shop early this year and I still have a video on my PC with a KP + DA 18-85 DC which does refocus - what's going on here?
07-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why is the review not on the front page?

07-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

" Since raw video cannot be captured through HDMI, you are limited to making the most of what the camera outputs."

Which Slimport HDMI adapter was used, and which external recorder?
The reps from the Slimport consortium that I messaged, confirmed the camera has passed the Slimport certification, so as absolute minimum, the camera should be capable of outputting 1080p30, hopefully with 1080p24 and 1080p25 for those of us who don't live in Nth America.

For the Continuous AF, are those the HSM lenses?
Following the links to supported lenses shows there's no Primes on the list

Disappointingly, the CAF test was not done with the KP, and while the K-70 uses the same system, that does not mean the results will be the same - firmware changes from the K-70 to the KP may lead to similar or completely different results.
This part of the review should have been done with the KP.

The image profiles and filters have been applicable as far back as the K-01, so we should be able to adjust the KP to the same level regarding flattening the image and limiting the sharpening.

The return of Sensor Shift in Video is well overdue, lets hope the firmware updates for KP and K-1 will follow soon, now the most recent 645Z update has been released.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-04-2017 at 01:50 PM.
07-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerusker Quote
My DA 18-135 DC should be able to focus continuously (AF.C) in movie mode - but the menu gives me a message that the lens can't do it.
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
For the Continuous AF, are those the HSM lenses? Following the links to supported lenses shows there's no Primes on the list
While you're supposed to be able to use Pentax DC or PLM lenses, apparently there are certain restrictions / issues there. I believe that the inability to use the 18-135mm is a firmware bug, which you should report to Pentax CS.

Which Slimport HDMI adapter was used, and which external recorder?
I'm tracking down the brand names now, but the adapters we tried during testing did not function. Still working on obtaining more details on this, but I'm under the impression that the output will be the same as what other models currently output through the dedicated HDMI ports (which isn't impressive). Ricoh reps I spoke with did confirm this information.

Disappointingly, the CAF test was not done with the KP, and while the K-70 uses the same system, that does not mean the results will be the same - firmware changes from the K-70 to the KP may lead to similar or completely different results. This part of the review should have been done with the KP.
The K-70's results were reproduced with the KP. There was no noticeable difference. Sorry!

The return of Sensor Shift in Video is well overdue, lets hope the firmware updates for KP and K-1 will follow soon, now the most recent 645Z update has been released.
Agreed, will keep pressuring Pentax reps to make sure they deliver on their promise.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2017, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It's a bummer, that said you can use a cable release or Wi-Fi, so you're not dead in the water. Plus, for astro stuff you can now select shutter speeds up to 20 minutes, so you won't need a remote when you combine that with the self-timer.

Here's a step-by-step guide and demo:

Pentax K-S2 Review - Wi-Fi Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Skip over the NFC parts as the KP doesn't have NFC; you have to connect by typing in the password.

Adam

07-05-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really like the clean high ISO capabilities of this camera. It would be great for street shooting in low light with a small prime or venues. You can use the back lcd if you want to be a bit more inconspicuous. Of course the K-70 is almost as good. Btw the review is still not on the front page. Is PF ashamed of this camera or it's review of it?
07-05-2017, 06:06 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Btw the review is still not on the front page. Is PF ashamed of this camera or it's review of it?
They should be proud, everybody says this website/forum is never critical towards Pentax and here it comes a review attributing a score lower than DPR's score to Pentax's newest camera
07-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The improvements in autofocus seem like very nice steps in the right direction. I'm wondering how some lenses with troublesome focusing issues, like Sigma's 30mm primes, would perform on the KP. Anyone have some feedback on that combination?
07-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
You need an app - on iOS it is called Image Sync, same name on Android I guess - and it works beautifully and when I say beautifully I mean that I have used similar apps from Canon, Olympus and Panasonic and it had never been so easy to connect and manoeuvre the camera from the smartphone!
I have always owned remote controls for my cameras, first cable ones, then IR ones, but why spend money when a free app on a tool you have always with you can do the same thing?

As for the review, I appreciate the effort but to insist on the lack of the top display makes little sense to me:
1 - this camera is supposed to be SFF, to achieve that some compromises are necessary.
2 - the rear LCD behaves like a top display, as a fact it contains even more information than that

Customization is fantastic, the only minor disappointment on this regard is the lack of options for WB since it cannot be assigned outside its own button on the four way controller. I guess this will be annoying to JPEG shooters, another minor drawback - always for jpeg shooters - is that you have 5 U memories but you cannot store with them the settings that are useful for SOOC images. Nonetheless in terms of UI and handling the KP is the best camera I've ever had, I am already thinking to buy another one by the end of the year
The problem with the app is you're limited to single frame exposure.

I agree with you about the top display, I have it on K-200D but seldom use it.
07-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
The problem with the app is you're limited to single frame exposure.
you can use the entire range of shooting modes from the app