Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Should I invest into Canon as well?

Dear all,

It was in 2014 I had my first Pentax Camera. It was actually a gift to me by my partner who actually wanted to buy me a Canon 70D but upon research we ended up buying the Pentax K-3. Have no issues so far with the camera and now I have given the K-3 to her and I bought a second hand K10D for myself. So we are both Pentax users and are passionate about the brand too. We are very much into wildlife, bird photography especially..Over these years we have bought these lenses
1. Pentax smc DA 50mm f1.8
2. Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
3. Pentax DA* 300mm f4
4. Tamron 90mm f2.8
5. Pentax A SMC 400mm f5.6.

and now is the dilemma. I would like to upgrade to a good camera body especially for speed and resolution and the K-1 attracts me so much. But lately I have been reading rumours about Pentax dying etc etc. I know these kind of news has been in the media (rumours) for many years and Pentax is still here. But deep in my heart there is also a slight fear of buying too much into Pentax and things going obsolete.

Therefore, I am also thinking of looking into other brands especially Canon and slowly build on them too which would enable us as a couple to get best of both brands. Been eyeing on Canon 7D Mark II just for its speed and autofocus. Is there anyone here who have bought into more than one brand?

Many thanks for reading this post and kindly let me know your suggestions.

Cheers,

Navin

07-06-2017, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tikku Quote
Therefore, I am also thinking of looking into other brands especially Canon and slowly build on them too which would enable us as a couple to get best of both brands. Been eyeing on Canon 7D Mark II just for its speed and autofocus. Is there anyone here who have bought into more than one brand?
If speed is what you're after, that camera is a fine choice and hard to beat for the price. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about Pentax's future. The K-1 is doing really well, and it's a fantastic camera at a great value, so if image quality is what you crave most, it's the way to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Dear all,

It was in 2014 I had my first Pentax Camera. It was actually a gift to me by my partner who actually wanted to buy me a Canon 70D but upon research we ended up buying the Pentax K-3. Have no issues so far with the camera and now I have given the K-3 to her and I bought a second hand K10D for myself. So we are both Pentax users and are passionate about the brand too. We are very much into wildlife, bird photography especially..Over these years we have bought these lenses
1. Pentax smc DA 50mm f1.8
2. Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
3. Pentax DA* 300mm f4
4. Tamron 90mm f2.8
5. Pentax A SMC 400mm f5.6.

and now is the dilemma. I would like to upgrade to a good camera body especially for speed and resolution and the K-1 attracts me so much. But lately I have been reading rumours about Pentax dying etc etc. I know these kind of news has been in the media (rumours) for many years and Pentax is still here. But deep in my heart there is also a slight fear of buying too much into Pentax and things going obsolete.

Many thanks for reading this post and kindly let me know your suggestions.

Cheers,

Navin
If you can afford it, the 5D Mark IV is a pretty awesome for both speed and resolution.
That paired with the Canon 100-400L mk II is a great birding/wildlife combo.
07-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But lately I have been reading rumours about Pentax dying etc etc.
Yep ... rumours !

07-06-2017, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But lately I have been reading rumours about Pentax dying etc etc. I know these kind of news has been in the media (rumours) for many years and Pentax is still here. But deep in my heart there is also a slight fear of buying too much into Pentax and things going obsolete.
ROFLMAO. This stuff is so sad it is funny. If you wanted to see RUMORS of Pentax's demise go back to 2010, when it was a real possibility. Today, in 2017 Pentax is stronger than at any time since maybe the late 1980's. They just delivered an award winning full frame camera, and several new and very excellent APS-C cameras. They introduced the DFA 15-30, DFA 24-70, DFA 28-105, DFA*70-200 and DFA 150-450 lenses and announced several more FF lenses. Yeah, they did all that so now they are going to close shop and wither away.

Just out of curiosity where did you hear all these "rumors"? We have had several people mention them, but when questioned no source is ever provided..........

If you want to jump brands please do so for a good reason like the other brand offers a lens or camera that Pentax does not, that just makes good sense. But doing so because you read a rumor on the internet is IMHO just plain silly. At least you had the good sense to ask about it.
07-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

But lately I have been reading rumours about Pentax dying etc etc.
It's good that you're reading rumors about Pentax dying. Those only show that people are interested - they see Pentax as a threat, they're gathering clicks using click-bait subjects, etc.
Be wary when things are too quiet... last time it happened in 2011, and guess what - Hoya was preparing Pentax for sale. There wasn't much "Pentax is dying" until the June announcement, when we found out what is happening.

If you want a more definite sign that Pentax is not going belly up this time either, wait for CP+/beginning of the next fiscal year. If they'll get the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 as promised, and at least appear to be on track with the other lenses...
At Ricoh Imaging (Pentax is their brand, tightly integrated and essential), it's business as usual: they're continuing with the Theta (4K version to be soon launched on the market), they're opening/extending photo schools in Japan, we might be seeing an increase in marketing.

Should you spend money on another system, as well? Not because of rumors. Do it only if it serves your needs.
It's not wrong to add an other brand "action" kit. There should be a new Pentax APS-C flagship, but what and when, we don't know.

Last edited by Kunzite; 07-06-2017 at 01:26 PM.
07-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If you can afford it, the 5D Mark IV is a pretty awesome for both speed and resolution. That paired with the Canon 100-400L mk II is a great birding/wildlife combo.
While I respect that note, practically most canon users of the 100-400 use it on crop (mostly 7D or 7DII) because 400mm is too short on full frame and the Canon full frames (except the 5Ds) has too less resolution for cropping to 1.5x . What happens is Canon users who what full frame usually end up also having a 7D or 7DII, it was a nice business model for Canon to have, and with all the 6D, and now 6DII it is still the same problem. While with a Pentax K1 or D810 36Mp, you can still get away with a decent resolution after 1.x cropping.

07-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You be rich? Go for it!!!

Steve
07-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Your Pentax gear will not necessarily die if Pentax does.

I had 2 systems for a short time. It made "what to take" choices much more difficult, so I went to one system only.
07-06-2017, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax has been dying for close to 50 years now...
07-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tikku:
[snipped for brevity]...We are very much into wildlife, bird photography especially. ... I would like to upgrade to a good camera body especially for speed and resolution and the K-1 attracts me so much ... Been eyeing on Canon 7D Mark II just for its speed and autofocus...
You mentioned birds. The 7D Mark II is a better camera for that than the K-1. I think 7D II has a 10fps burst mode while the K-1 is 4.5fps. You also get a bigger selection of extreme telephoto lenses with Canon but those lenses can get very expensive.

The K-1 excels at landscapes and other situations where its dynamic range and other features matter more. Yes, it can get good photos of birds, but that's not its specialty and other models are better.
07-06-2017, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
While I respect that note, practically most canon users of the 100-400 use it on crop (mostly 7D or 7DII) because 400mm is too short on full frame and the Canon full frames (except the 5Ds) has too less resolution for cropping to 1.5x .
When I hear statements such as "practically most", my ears (or in this case my eyes perk up).
Is that 60%? 75%? 45%?
What source are you using for your assumption?

Additionally, Canon has newer 1.4 and 2X TCs which work very well with that lens, and there are also newer lenses available from Sigma and Tamron that go to 600mm, which more than make up for the 6 MP difference between the 5D mk IV and the K-1/D810.
07-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rumors are just that, rumors until the company says otherwise.

---------- Post added 07-06-17 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax has been dying for close to 50 years now...
Slowest death ever, like this movie clip only extended to last 50 years haha:
07-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

A couple of points.

1. The rumours are started by Canon, Nikon and Sony salesmen.

2. You can only get a lot more than Pentax performance by paying a lot more than Pentax prices.

3. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/344772-case-sup...pentax-af.html
07-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Norm, don't forget Nikkei journalists desperately wanting a "strong" subject

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Rumors are just that, rumors until the company says otherwise.
The company said otherwise