Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2017, 10:27 AM - 3 Likes   #1

experience with AF-C on Pentax KP

hi
a statement: I did not get KP for its auto-focus ability.
in my amateurish photo practice i did not make much use of AF-C
I read a lot of remarks in this forums on this subject.
Today when passing through Museaumplein in Amsterdam I came across "urban sports week Amsterdam"; they had skaters ,bmx, basketball 3x3 etc..
I jumped of the tram thinking , what a chance to play with AF-C.
I only had 50 mm 1.8 with me.
the setting I used: continuous shooting (set to M)
AF-C set to sel, and Focus priority,
Form excitement i did not pay attention to exposure , therefore half of my picture where over exposed Until i noticed
i took about 180 picture, focus was completely off in only 5 of them. the rest were very good.
At times i had to slow done to let the buffer be cleared, (i work with raw) ( well that gave me the opportunity to see what going on outside of my VF )
i add some examples:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-08-2017, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

Those are excellent results and great shots!

Don't be surprised if one or two people comment along the lines of "Yes, but if the subject had been moving in this or that direction" or "You could have got the same result by pre-focusing a manual lens" etc. We do have a small number of members who refuse to believe Pentax DSLRs can be used successfully for AF-C tracking. But the important thing here is that you got a some great shots. I'm sure you were delighted with the results (I would be!).

Nice work!
07-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! The KP does have the latest AF-C tracking algorithms, which were originally improved in the K-3 II and seem to work pretty well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The difference between Canikon and Pentax continuous AF is that you don't have to wait until the buffer clears with those cameras. Also the AF keeps up with the FPS...

07-08-2017, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now if the bicycles had been moving directly toward you...what am I saying. Everyone knows a Pentax is incapable of focusing on a bicycle no matter how it is moving...