Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2017, 08:19 AM - 7 Likes   #1

Fan made pentax dslr genealogy

I was interested in the history of PENTAX DSLR. So, I made a genealogy diagram.
There are two viewpoint, one on the series, the other on the spec.

- FAN MADE PENTAX DSLR GENEALOGY: SERIES

- FAN MADE PENTAX DSLR GENEALOGY: SPEC

The series viewpoint, I also explained the series of film cameras that became the motif of the series.
ex) The motifs of K2000, K-m, K-x, K-r are K1000, KM, KX, K2.
I think the name K2000 has two meanings, Kdigital's second generation series and K1000 a motif.
Also, K-r would have changed the number "2" to "r”.

The series spec viewpoint, I organized it according to the following rules.
- The base color represents the generations of the imaging engine.
ex) K10D, K20D, K200D, K-m are the same generation of PRIME.
- Arrows represent genealogies, annotations represent improvement points.
ex) Successor of K-m is K-x, changes to Sony sensor and order color
- The lower left number represents the firmware number.
It is a unique number given for each firmware of each model.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If my idea is correct, it will be as follows.
- The countdown started from K-7 ended with K-1.
- Genealogies starting from K-01 (MZ series motif) also ended with K-70.
Therefore, I have no idea what the naming convention of the future Pentax camera will be.

However, by making these genealogy diagram,
I was able to establish some predictions about what will happen in the future.
- There may be 645 successive models next year or the next year.
- The successor of KP may eventually become the successor of K-3ii.
※ If S1, S2, SP is a motif, KPII based on SPII may be released.
- Variable angle machine which cut out function from K-70 may become an entry model.
※ However, it may be good to continue selling K-S2 for a while.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In the future, I would like to increase the these degree of completion.
I'm happy if you can comment on this thread.
- Do you know the firmware number of the following models?
KP, K-50P, K-30P, 645D, K-XW, K-7W, K-7IR, K200D-W, K20D-W, K100 Super
- Do you know the version of Milbaut that will be the basis of PRIME MII and PRIME IV?

Best Regards.

Attached Images

07-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I do not know if it is my browser put I can not enlarge these enough to make them clear enough to read which is a shame as I would like to view them in depth.
07-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
I do not know if it is my browser put I can not enlarge these enough to make them clear enough to read which is a shame as I would like to view them in depth.
Thank you for your comment. You can see the big picture by pressing the URL.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEn8Xb_VwAANxVE.jpg:orig

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEn8XcGUAAAPISH.jpg:orig
07-13-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

That is quite an ambitious project you have going there, and I find it quite informative. I'm sorry I don't have information to answer your specific questions of your post. As for comments, I find graphics like these quite interesting. You have arranged the APS C in three classes, and I have to confess that I don't know what all makes them different - is the naming convention, or something else? I have tended to think in terms of the APS C models being either the "mid-grade" specification (which is still very, very good by industry standards) and the "pro" specification. In that regard, the KS2, K-70, and KP would all be in the same line, but you have them in different lines, which many would agree that they are in fact different cameras. But I don't think of KP as an updated K3II even though some specs are better than the K3II. The K-01 is of course in a class by itself. Just thoughts, FWIW. Thanks.

07-13-2017, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Thank you!!
07-13-2017, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I admire you trying to make sense of Pentax's model progression because it makes no damn sense to me. The naming conventions absolutely defy logic.
07-13-2017, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you, you must have put a lot of time into this.

07-13-2017, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I admire you trying to make sense of Pentax's model progression because it makes no damn sense to me. The naming conventions absolutely defy logic.
You mean K-1 and K-01 doesn't make sense?
07-14-2017, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #9

After K-7, K-5, K-3, K-1 on the negative side then Pentax can continue with the positive side with K+1, K+3, K+5, etc to K+infinity. The possibilities are literally endless
07-14-2017, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
That is quite an ambitious project you have going there, and I find it quite informative. I'm sorry I don't have information to answer your specific questions of your post. As for comments, I find graphics like these quite interesting. You have arranged the APS C in three classes, and I have to confess that I don't know what all makes them different - is the naming convention, or something else? I have tended to think in terms of the APS C models being either the "mid-grade" specification (which is still very, very good by industry standards) and the "pro" specification. In that regard, the KS2, K-70, and KP would all be in the same line, but you have them in different lines, which many would agree that they are in fact different cameras. But I don't think of KP as an updated K3II even though some specs are better than the K3II. The K-01 is of course in a class by itself. Just thoughts, FWIW. Thanks.
Thank you. I am pleased to receive comments that accurately pointed out my troubles.

I am also worrying about the positioning of KP and K-01. In fact, in the past version these treatments are changing every time. In this version, I refer to the price range of Japan. (K-01 is entries, KP is the same price as K-3II.)

As I also believe that K-S2, K-70, KP will be in sequence as a genealogy, I can connect with the line in the table of "SPEC".

Mark Newson called K - 01 "photography equipment for semi - professional applications clearly used". Even in that sense, I think that the positioning of K-01 is one class with one piece.

I heard that K-3II was a K-1 test machine. With GPS instead of loading a flash, pixel shifting, etc. K - 3 II has the same features as K - 1. So, I think that the successor to K-3 II is K-1, and that the successor in the price range is KP.

Should I return the positioning of KP and K-01 to the old version I attached?

---------- Post added 07-14-17 at 04:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
At first, I thought that there was no law as you said.

However, when I was making the table of SPEC,
I realized that there was a motif of name on the film camera,
and I made a table of SERIES.

---------- Post added 07-14-17 at 04:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
Thank you, you must have put a lot of time into this.
Thank you for your comment.

I released the first version of this article on January 25th.
After that, we have further thought and it is now the current version.
Attached Images

07-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
After K-7, K-5, K-3, K-1 on the negative side then Pentax can continue with the positive side with K+1, K+3, K+5, etc to K+infinity. The possibilities are literally endless
It is an interesting way of thinking. Mathematics!
I figured, is that what you say?
Attached Images

07-14-2017, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bv0000 Quote
Should I return the positioning of KP and K-01 to the old version I attached?
Well, a simple answer might be to just leave the K-01 off the list entirely since it is not a DSLR. I'm not sure how to advise you regarding the graph. You might check this at Wikipedia for any additional ideas.

Pentax cameras - Wikipedia

Their digital series is: *ist, K, Medium Format, Q, and Optio

Thanks for all your work to try to make something graphically meaningful where others have not been able to make sense of it.
07-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
Still waiting for the K-o 'knockout' camera
Surely I am not the first to say that..
07-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Epic work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I have never spotted the similarities between digital and film models before.

Another way of drawing the family tree would be to show how sensors were passed on from one generation to the next, e.g. K10D was the father of K200D etc.
07-16-2017, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Epic work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I have never spotted the similarities between digital and film models before.

Another way of drawing the family tree would be to show how sensors were passed on from one generation to the next, e.g. K10D was the father of K200D etc.
Thank you for a wonderful comment.

In order to know the difference between the model compatible with KAF4 and the model which is not so, I organized the model focusing on the imaging engine. So, the sensor was no check.

I added a sensor to the printed lineage chart. Basically it was almost the same as the classification of imaging sensors, but I also found out something new.

As you say, K10D's child is K200D, its grandchildren are K-m. When looking back at the developers interview at the time, he said that "K200D is not a successor to K100D."
ASCII.jp??????????????????K20D???K200D???????????? (1/6)

I would like to make a version reflecting sensor information. However, I am worried whether it will become complicated.