Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Upgrading to K1 or sticking with APS-C

Hello all!

I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade to K1 or stay with APS-C cameras and would greatly appreciate your input and experiences about the matter (and I think that it might help me to write my reasoning down).

At the moment I have a 3 year old K5IIs, it’s a great camera but sometimes I wish that it would have a better high ISO, dynamic range and a bit more megapixels.

I prefer wide/ normal angle over telephoto. I mostly photograph landscapes and casual portraits.

At the moment I have a 31mm ltd, 50mm Makro-Planar, DFA 100mm WR and 16-85mm. Most of these would work just fine on K1 and I was planning of using 16-85mm on crop-mode (still would get the same sensor size as on K5IIs) until I can sell it and get a 28-105mm.

Size is fairly important for me since I mostly enjoy photographing while hiking and traveling. But K1 is “only” 250g heavier than K5IIs and 28-105mm is actually lighter than 16-85mm. So my FF kit would not be that much heavier than my old kit, though it would cover slightly smaller field of view.
I would probably need to buy a small 20mm lens at some point to cover that end. I would not buy any heavy full frame telephoto lenses. But if I would at some point need more reach I could just grab a 55-300mm PLM and use it in crop mode.

I was also considering waiting for K3III since it would probably have a great sensor but I feel like with not that much more money I would get quite a bit more with K1 and would not lose that much. Since I am not into telephoto stuff (at least not at the moment). Though it would be sad to lose my 16-85mm, I really enjoy that lens. Is DFA 28-105mm as good?

I am mostly worried about covering the 20-24mm focal length which seems to be easier to do (small and not super expensive) on APS-C than on K1 (at least at the moment). But I am also quite excited about trying my current lenses on FF and about extra control over DOF.

Sorry about quite messy post but hopefully you can follow my train of thought.
If you have any comments I would be happy to hear them!

07-14-2017, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #2

I upgraded from the K5 to the K1. The K1 is in another dimension. The 28-105 is an amazing lens considering its price and size. What you lose in the lens you gain in the sensor size. In other words, all things being equal, a photo viewed at the same size a K1 gives better resolution as you have more pixels and you are magnifying less. So the same lens will perform better on the K1 for the same size finished photo.

I have no regrets.
07-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most aps-c standard zoom lenses will cover full frame from somewhere between 24 and 35mm. so you could just shoot full frame and crop afterwards.
07-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I imagine that a bit of time with the K-1 will probably have you thinking about lenses to cover the wider end that you'll lose with your current gear, and which the 28-105 won't cover. Buying new, your choices are fairly limited – all the Pentax branded options are expensive and heavy, and those that aren't expensive are still fairly weighty. If neither of those things is an impediment, or if you don't mind shopping for (say) an FA20/2.8 or an FA*24/2 on the secondhand market, then the K-1 will be a revelation with your existing glass and pretty satisfying with the rest.

When I got my K-1, I already had both those older lenses and a FA*28-70/2.8, among others like the three FA Limiteds, so I don't feel inclined to fork out on the D-FA15-30, for example, but the Samyang 14/2.8 looks tempting.

07-14-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you would be very happy with the K1. I must confess I am a new owner and still in honeymoon mode, but I think with good reason. It's a great camera, and if you're orientation is landscape and normal perspective, I don't think you could do better. I still use my K3II for birding with the D FA 150-450. I like the faster FPS and crop sensor pixel density for that, but other than the tiny guys, the K1 wins every time. I have done some controlled shots with the two and the 150-450, and if light is low, the K1 pulls ahead. If bright, I think the K3II is a hair better for the birds due to the crop factor. Regarding size and weight, I do not find the K1 too heavy, and in fact, the extra height is great for grip - my pinky has a place to go now. I really don't feel like my bag is noticeably any heavier with the K1 versus the K3II. Of course, now that I carry two bodies some is a different issue. I think though you wouldn't be doing that since crop mode on the K1 is going to be the same pixel density as the K5IIs. And as I meander here, the ISO performance of the K1 is fantastic and much improved over the K3II. I know in reputation your current camera has great ISO performance, but I would think you'll find the K1 even better - I've never been hands-on with your current camera, so this is seat of the pants that others will have to fill in on.

So, I'd give a strong "buy" recommendation on the K1. I'd also say think about saving for a 15-30. I picked up a copy of that, and it is fantastic, but large and heavy. If you want a polarizer for the landscape work, the Fotodiox Wonderpana for the Tamron 15-30 fits, and their multi-coated CPL seems very nice (it is pricey though). I have a variety of primes that cover me for the time in the 31-100 range, but I'm looking at the 28-105 as a walk-around general lens and the next LBA target. If you want a lighter weight ultra-wide, I'd check out the Samyang/Rokinon prime lens offerings.

Hope this helps..
07-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The 28-105 is a really good lens for hiking. I have a little M-20 when I need wider and the tiny F*300 for longer. I have been on many long (8+ miles) day hikes with the k-1 and 28-105 and the weight doesn't bother me any more than the aps-c bodies did. Of course the 31 is fantastic on the k-1, and you will appreciate features like articulating screen, gps, body lights, etc.
07-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
I am mostly worried about covering the 20-24mm focal length which seems to be easier to do (small and not super expensive) on APS-C than on K1 (at least at the moment). But I am also quite excited about trying my current lenses on FF and about extra control over DOF.
No worries on the 20-24mm range as you can cover that relatively inexpensively with a Tokina 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 or if you can find a Pentax FA 20-35mm F4 (expensive though worth it). I have both and based on repotrs by other users on the K-1 they work out very nicely. For UWA, you can try to source a Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical (full frame) though they are hard to find and probably cost as much as the FA 20-35mm F4.

07-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K1 is in a completely different league compared to the K3, and the K3 was a big step up from the K5. If you haev the cash I'd say get it and don't look back. Besides, for low or weird angle shots your back and nexk will thank you for the tilty twisty screen on it.
07-14-2017, 06:30 AM - 6 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do I always have to be Mr. NO NO

Thing one, there's no way else to put it. The K-1 is a nicer camera. My wife still uses her K-5. When she borrows the K-1 she always says "this is a really nice camera." SO for all those factors that equate to niceness, the K-1 has the advantage.

But for what you are talking about I'm wondering why you aren't looking at a KP. Better low light/ high ISO performance. Not quite a K-3 in performance metrics but close, the biggest disadvantage being the smaller buffer. But if you aren't a burst shooter that's not an issue.

IN terms of images, on a 4k monitor you can't tell the difference between K=5 shot and a K-1 shot. The point at which the K-1 technology becomes important is unknown and probably won't be before there are 24k monitors.

For a K-1 you do need a 20-30 or FAJ 18-35 , a 28-105, and I use my 60-250 pretty extensively on mine. The cost of ownership is way more than just the cost of the camera. And locating a selection of used lenses like the 20-35 can be a much longer more involved process than you might think,

So there you have it "nice" or "practical". You pays your money and you takes your pick.

Last edited by normhead; 07-21-2017 at 05:27 AM.
07-14-2017, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
I wish that it would have a better high ISO, dynamic range and a bit more megapixels...Size is fairly important for me since I mostly enjoy photographing while hiking and traveling.
Have you considered the K-P ? It looks to me like a better solution to your need than the K-1... Particularly since you want to continue using the 16-85 and a 55-300 in crop mode... It doesn't make much sense getting a K-1 to use it mostly in crop mode...
07-14-2017, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The KP might be what you want. The K-70 is almost a K-5IIs, sans the pro build. From testing various high ISO K-70 & KP RAW files I sill think the KP pulls ahead of the K-70 as the ISO climbs. The K-1 will always win ultimate IQ. It's full frame versus APS-C sensor physics. Then one could argue amout a medium format sensor & so forth & so on, but in the end you gotta look at the whole cost of it all.
07-14-2017, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of plus and minus here. Make your standard decision chart, and see where it leads you. Size, lens choice, features, cost etc.
For instance, I use the top LCD a LOT in the field, rarely do I ever consult the viewfinder information. I won't buy a camera without that display. Plus, APSC is helpful with field macro. I'd have to crop more with a FF camera unless I put the Sigma 180mm macro on it - there's that cost factor again...
07-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I note from your profile that you are not from the US

have you checked to see if there are any companies which could rent you a K 1 or other camera bodies to try out??

If you were in the US, I would advise you to check out such companies

I have had good luck with LensRental.com out of Tennessee

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

I have no idea if they would agree to rent equipment to you since you don't live here but you could contact them to see

btw, they also will apply the rental fees to the purchase price if you decide to buy the equipment after you have rented it.
07-14-2017, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Stick with your K5iis until you've taken all the shots it can take and get some lenses instead. But you've already decided that a K-1 is what you need
07-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #15

I also upgraded from a K5 to the K1. On the K1 I used the 18-135 in 1:1 mode (until I traded it off on the 28-105). the 40mm Ltd and 70mm Ltd also work well in full frame. Your 16-85 will likely work at some focal lengths in full frame and should work at all lengths in 1:1.
The K1 is a much nicer camera than the K5.
That being said, I kept my K5 and also use it on more occasions than I thought I would.

As to weight, I walked around Disney for 6 days in the fall with the K1 in a sling bag along with extra lenses and didn't notice a weight difference from previous trips with the K5.

As Norm indicated, the camera is only the first expense. The FA31 is considerably heavier (and costlier) than the 21mm Ltd for a somewhat similar field of view.

I don't regret the purchase and feel it was a good decision.